Vibration with mute????

DakoJack

Vibration with mute????

Post by DakoJack »

I have recently started getting a very noticeable metallic buzz with my wooden face mute. It mainly occurs around the 6th partial of the horn Fs and Es real bad. I wasn't having this issue on my Getzen 3508R but it has started to happen now that I've switched to my Getzen Sterling Artist model. I can shave down the bumpers on the mute ,but I want to make sure that's the issue before I do that. The sterling does have a much smaller bell so that's my thought but I am interested in everyone's thoughts. :idk:
BGuttman

Re: Vibration with mute????

Post by BGuttman »

I get a buzz when the mute is too big for the bell throat, like the H&B 199 on my King 7B.

Is this the Colortone fiber mute with the wood bottom? They tend to fit VERY tight in most of my bells.

Quick test: Try holding the mute just a little out from where it fits and play a few notes (you may be limited to 1st position).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:13 pm I get a buzz when the mute is too big for the bell throat, like the H&B 199 on my King 7B.

Is this the Colortone fiber mute with the wood bottom? They tend to fit VERY tight in most of my bells.

Quick test: Try holding the mute just a little out from where it fits and play a few notes (you may be limited to 1st position).
Pulling it out a little bit definitley helps alot and its a facet mute like the one in this video I can sand down the sides that hold it in if you think thats the issue but if its the sized of the mute itself thats another issue.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

DakoJack wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:32 pm
BGuttman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:13 pm I get a buzz when the mute is too big for the bell throat, like the H&B 199 on my King 7B.

Pulling it out a little bit definitley helps alot and its a facet mute like the one in this video I can sand down the sides that hold it in if you think thats the issue but if its the sized of the mute itself thats another issue.
Update 2 holding it in eliminates the buzz so now worse case scenario i can just hold it while I play. I wonder if shaving it down will cause it to go in further and more snug or worsen the problem.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

As supplied Facet mutes have VERY thick corks, so you should have lots of room to shave down (at least the ones I have are that way). On the other hand, the H&B 199 and Colortone have very thin corks and there is no room to do any shaving.

Also, I found my Facet cup to have a "buzzier" sound than (for example) my JoRal or Denis Wick cups. That's an issue if you decide to use one in a Jazz Band -- it won't blend well with a section using all Wicks or all H&B's.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Accessories”