Storing goosenecks

Dennis

Storing goosenecks

Post by Dennis »

I recently picked up a gooseneck and counterweight for my Shires. It lives in a Marcus Bonna not-so-soft case.

Ideally, I would like for both the F-attachment and the gooseneck to live in the case. Leaving an F-attachment or a gooseneck sitting out loose seems to me like begging for something bad to happen.

For now, the gooseneck fits under the bell wrapped in a medium weight cloth. I'd like something more protective than that. Even better, I'd like a solution that doesn't require that the F-attachment be on the bell for everything to fit in the case.

Any suggestions?

Stringbean, do you make anything suitable?
elmsandr

Re: Storing goosenecks

Post by elmsandr »

Back a million years ago, I used to have a heavily padded Altieri bag that held either my F attachment or my gooseneck to go with my bag. Wonder where that is now, I still have the Altieri case but not that bag. I seem to remember there used to be some similar case bags for some woodwinds (flute? Clarinet?) that were perfect for this. A friend had a great Tuxedo version that looked made for this and buckled directly to a bag. These manufacturers are probably both not options now, but the concept of using some other case or case cover is probably still a good place to look.

Cheers,
Andy
glenp

Post by glenp »

I use a soft sided flute case/bag for my gooseneck but it won’t fit my F attachment.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

How about a neoprene laptop "sleeve"
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have found towels folded to give the needed layers are the best padding.
I have several towels in my cases for item separation. including in my old Bags of Spain case4 layers of towel between the two bell sections. Way better the foam.
I used towel for the padding on an armrest I needed, Never bottoms out like foam.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I've found that some products (various gun cases) at sporting goods stores work pretty well for some parts, a heavier weighted soft case with zippers and / or velcro.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Bach makes/made a case that fits a lot of horns and has a slot for the goose neck.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:48 pm Bach makes/made a case that fits a lot of horns and has a slot for the goose neck.
The case from my Bach 36C had a pair of holes for the straight gooseneck, but you had to put the instrument in the case with the F-attachment installed. Otherwise, the F-attachment gooseneck has no place for storage.

Right now, my Bach 36C is sitting in a case from one of those Chinese trombones (I don't remember which one) that has a pouch on the outside. Either gooseneck will fit in the pouch, but you should put some kind of hard spacer around it (I use corrugated board) since the pouch is not protective at all.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Accessories”