Carbon Fiber Tablet Stand

muschem

Carbon Fiber Tablet Stand

Post by muschem »

After reading positive reviews here on the WoodWindDesign trombone stand, I ordered one a few weeks back. I love it. Lightweight, stable, and just a joy to use. I liked it so much, that when I started looking for a tablet stand option, I checked there first. Sure enough, they offer a great option for this as well:

https://woodwinddesign.nl/product/tabletstandaard/

Mine came in the mail last week, and I can already tell I'll enjoy using it just as much as the trombone stand. It is lightweight, but stable - the fourth leg is really effective. I haven't weighed everything comparatively to be sure, but it feels like I could carry both the WWD trombone stand and the tablet/mic stand to a gig and still have a lighter load than just my old K&M trombone stand or my K&M extra heavy duty folding music stand on their own. I'd imagine this would be a huge benefit to those who travel a lot with gear.

Whereas the trombone stand is canted to distribute the weight of the horn over the correct center of gravity for effective re-balancing if bumped/disturbed, the mic/tablet stand appears perfectly plumb, which I think makes sense in terms of typical load and is also less visually distracting (the cant on the trombone stand can be a bit jarring visually at first, coming from traditional stands). The range of vertical adjustment is great, and it easily extends high enough for viewing while standing (I'm 6'1 or around 1.85 meters tall for reference). You can adjust where the tablet sits in relation to the vertical center line, as well as the tilt of the tablet, to get a good balance. There is enough adjustment of the support bracket to allow for positioning the tablet in either portrait or landscape orientation, while always keeping a support underneath the bottom edge (i.e. you don't have to rely on side compression with no bottom support when you change orientation).

I like the flexibility of double duty as either a tablet stand or a mic stand, depending on your needs. The change is very quick - there is just one piece to swap out in the topmost vertical tube. All in all, just a fantastic piece of engineering, and very functional. I'll try posting a pic in a few weeks when I have my Butler carbon fiber trombone sitting on the WWD stand, next to the WWD tablet stand... should be very visually consistent from a materials perspective :)
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra

Return to “Accessories”