Bach case by era

JLivi

Bach case by era

Post by JLivi »

So I'm looking at various Bach 36's on the internet and don't know much about Bach. I know a lot about king, a little about Conn and nothing about Bach. One thing that I wish I could do was pin point the era the horn is from based on the case (assuming it's original).

Is there a guide to know what bach case design is from what era?

I noticed the corporation horns come with a slick black case with blue velvet interior. And to be honest, I don't even know what years the Corp years were. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

And outside of that did the engravings or text on the bells change?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
elmsandr

Re: Bach case by era

Post by elmsandr »

JLivi wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:49 pm So I'm looking at various Bach 36's on the internet and don't know much about Bach. I know a lot about king, a little about Conn and nothing about Bach. One thing that I wish I could do was pin point the era the horn is from based on the case (assuming it's original).

Is there a guide to know what bach case design is from what era?

I noticed the corporation horns come with a slick black case with blue velvet interior. And to be honest, I don't even know what years the Corp years were. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

And outside of that did the engravings or text on the bells change?
So, first, yes the engravings did change. The reason "Corporation" horns are called that is because it says "Corporation" underneath the signature. There is also the circle R registered trademark logo in the signature. Corp era is Elkhart horns from start (65-ish) through the early 80's (not exactly a hard cutoff date for that).

For cases, there was an evolution and some options as well. There are some early Elkharts with optional square cases that look like later (and earlier) fancy ones. This from a S/N 96xx 50B2 :
Case.jpg
But most are those French style cases seen here:
BellSectioninCase.jpg
Note that this case has a more form fitting interior than the older Mt.Vernon cases. Also the round "Bach" badges on the outside. Older NY/MtVernon case:
CaseOpen.jpg
Later, they went to the square Dark brown cases with a medium brown trim (I don't have a picture of this). Some of these cases may be "Corporation" era horns, I have a 42 so marked and it was Original horn to the case. Similar colors to the Early Elkhart square case above.

Later still (late 80's? Early 90's?), the colors inverted, medium brown case with dark brown trim.

After that, you can see the current cases, more French style, still boxy.

Cheers,
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I would just like to add a few things to Andy's response
I think Bach dropped the "Corporation" and Elkhart IND bell inscription in the late 70's, possibly '80. That was around the same time they switched to the dark brown/lighter brown leather rectangular cases. (These cases were still pretty well made)
Sometime in the mid-80's, they went to a lighter brown case with dark brown vinyl at the ends. The quality was dropping. I think it was around the same time that Bach started offering the open-wrap option on the 36, 42, and 50. The cases were all the same, and could accommodate a straight horn, and either style of f-attachment.
They went back to dark brown, and around the mid-90's went to a case that is flat on one side, and an exaggerated bell flare on the other. The next one was the light brown fabric covered ones. (I think D.J. refers to them as "brownies") These were the cheapest cases of all, and the zippers and hinges did not hold up.
Finally, around 2015, Bach started using a respectable case again - one that more closely reflects the $$$ that they charge for their horns. I don't own one, but they look to be protective and durable, and fairly attractive. (I still like the old French cases best, though)
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

I have two early 80s bachs, 1981 and 1982, both with the light brown cases.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Mamaposaune wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 am Sometime in the mid-80's, they went to a lighter brown case with dark brown vinyl at the ends. The quality was dropping. I think it was around the same time that Bach started offering the open-wrap option on the 36, 42, and 50. The cases were all the same, and could accommodate a straight horn, and either style of f-attachment.
Would you be hesitant to purchase a horn from that era? The Bach 36 in question appears to be from the early 90's based on the serial number. But it's also super cheap and an estate sale find. It's tough to pass up a 36b for $750.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

JLivi wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Mamaposaune wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 am Sometime in the mid-80's, they went to a lighter brown case with dark brown vinyl at the ends. The quality was dropping. I think it was around the same time that Bach started offering the open-wrap option on the 36, 42, and 50. The cases were all the same, and could accommodate a straight horn, and either style of f-attachment.
Would you be hesitant to purchase a horn from that era? The Bach 36 in question appears to be from the early 90's based on the serial number. But it's also super cheap and an estate sale find. It's tough to pass up a 36b for $750.
Not only would I not hesitate to buy one from the early 90's, I would probably prefer one from that era. I realize there are variations, but one of my favorite Bach's ever is my 42B that I bought new in '92. I've since replaced the case, though.
I cannot remember who said it, I think it was on this forum, that some of the best Bach's came from the early 90's. The brass they used was exceptionally good.
(It could have been someone associated with Baltimore Brass?)
Update: Todd Clontz was the source.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

(The parts are pretty good no matter the era)

Just for posterity;

80s/90s medium brown case (this one is later with the flat bottom. Helps it not teeter crazily when getting horn in and out of it.
2CC7BD80-23C0-4F1B-9B6B-054458A02845.jpeg
Late 90s early 00s zipper case. These suck.
5BC35D80-E4EE-4DF7-9C21-3F0A3FF31931.jpeg
Current case. These look neat, I wouldn’t mind one, but people think they are worth money?!? I’ve got a half dozen of the old ones they can have…
9FC0DBF2-C733-486F-B133-80A407F4FC51.jpeg
These pics sourced by eBay. Previous post are ones I own/ have owned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Number 313
Model 6
Case is
Molded pressed gray paper fiber
Covered in thin cotton cloth
With black paint
I call these TURTLE CASES
Because they look like snapping turtles
Slightly later shaped wood
And cofffin usually slide in lid
Leather snaps and leather covered handles
Latches hinges brass
Outstanding beautiful is a MV50
Gator fabric very open interior
40s cases are very good quality
And up through into Corp era
Nice to see current ones
THE BEST JAPANESE CASED BACH 42B
Viewed in stlouis at Doug Bert
While Gerry P was there we had lunch
Gerry enjoying CRISTAN ‘s latest mods to his axe
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

djkennedy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:31 am ...
Outstanding beautiful is a MV50
Gator fabric very open interior
40s cases are very good quality
Case.jpg
Horn in Case.jpg
THE BEST JAPANESE CASED BACH 42B
trombone12.jpg
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

If you decide not to spring for that 36, let me know where it is please :good:
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

spencercarran wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 am
If you decide not to spring for that 36, let me know where it is please :good:
I see you’re in Chicago. I live in Arlington Heights. I’m going to buy it assuming they don’t have any other offers. If I don’t like it I’ll sell it to you for what I paid for it :-)
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585

Return to “Accessories”