Rath Hand Support on Duo Gravis?

scottcb

Rath Hand Support on Duo Gravis?

Post by scottcb »

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used a Rath Hand Support with a Duo Gravis with split triggers? I've recently acquired a DG. After playing for a while I get some pain through the web area of my thumb, so I'm keen to find a solution. Thanks!
boneagain

Re: Rath Hand Support on Duo Gravis?

Post by boneagain »

scottcb wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:57 am I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used a Rath Hand Support with a Duo Gravis with split triggers? I've recently acquired a DG. After playing for a while I get some pain through the web area of my thumb, so I'm keen to find a solution. Thanks!
I tried it VERY briefly, after I got the 2nd valve on a paddle, kinda like yours. I found that, with my thumb wrapping around the bell brace, the Rath REALLY irritated the tendons on the top of my hand.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You might try putting a sponge between the webbing on your thumb and the bell brace. Or a folded napkin. Or put some larger vinyl tubing on the bell brace. Or something else to spread out the pressure. The Rath grip was intended to work with instruments where you don't wrap your thumb around the bell brace (most of the newer ones).

If you really need to take the pressure off the webbing, se if the NeoTech grip can work. I'd worry about not being able to reach the triggers when you use it, though.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
scottcb

Post by scottcb »

Thanks guys, I will try a sponge or something similar to spread the pressure and see if that helps
scottcb

Post by scottcb »

I ended up picking up a Neotech hand grip. It has taken away the pain I was feeling in my hand. Fortunately it hasn't caused too much of an issue with using the triggers so it's a good result!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

How are you doing on mute changes with that?
Also, how is the clearance from the paddle to the anchors for the Neotech?

Glad you can still reach around the bell brace for the thumb trigger.
... and VERY glad you are getting some relief!
scottcb

Post by scottcb »

The paddle closes fully without touching the Neotech. I guess fast mute changes will be slightly trickier but my left hand isn't too restricted so can get out relatively quickly.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

boneagain wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:15 am How are you doing on mute changes with that?
Once you have enough time with a grip aid (even one of the straps), getting in and out of it is no big deal.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:36 pm
boneagain wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:15 am How are you doing on mute changes with that?
Once you have enough time with a grip aid (even one of the straps), getting in and out of it is no big deal.
Understood. I had that experience with a different strap I used over 40 years ago.

Around that time I learned that if I rested the bell on my left leg and inserted the mute with my right hand the change was faster, stuck in better with less bell warp, and did not require pulling my thumb from its strap..

I was just curious how Scott was doing with that particular mini-challenge.

Return to “Accessories”