Case design

RammyRam

Case design

Post by RammyRam »

Hey Everyone,
As my second post to hopefully be approved as a member..(will I get a badge?)

I have a Conn 6H. I like the original slim case it came in, albeit heavyish. It’s really slim, and fits in overhead compartments of even smaller jets. So I like traveling with it, because it’s my favorite small bore and the case works no matter the flight. I want to make some modifications however...I live about a mile from where I teach and wanna just attach backpack straps to it so I can bike to the location or walk, whatever. I don’t wanna carry it in my hand and feel all lopsided for a mile. It then got me to thinking, what about even if it was lighter, same case size cuz flights and things, but lighter material (not heavy plywood or whatever), with maybe a cloth exterior, and sewn on backpack straps...yea that’d be the dream...*eyes gloss like Ralphie staring at red rider BB gun*

Anyways, most cases I find are either not protective enough, or just too damned big if they are sturdy to go on a small jet. I’m not always on small jets, but I’ve been on enough, and have been threatened enough with a Yamaha Z small bore case, to toss it under (no I didn’t). I’ve just lucked out on not having a full flight, holding it between my legs, not paying for an extra seat, or been dragged off for defiance. Long story short, cases are either too big (and sometimes heavy), or not protective enough. Mostly the bell sections are too wide. Which leaves me with a few questions:

1. Am I the only one facing this problem or the only one complaining? It’s 2022 after all. We should have flying cars, let alone great trombone cases.

2. Is there a manufacturer of this ultimate product? Lightweight and protective (fiberglass frame), sleek/slender (small jets overhead compartment), backpack straps for ease of carrying or choice of transport.

3. Does anyone here design or modify current cases? No witty banter except this sentence.

4. Is this just a dream that I have to shell my own hours, money, blood swear and tears, and failures into in order to bring into existence? I’d rather just pay for it if it exists or if somebody else did it.

I hope this second post gets me approved as a member or a good trombone case. Either one will work for me.
BGuttman

Re: Case design

Post by BGuttman »

If you really like that case, consider getting a luggage cart and a couple of Bungee cords. Strap the case into the cart and it's no big deal to wheel the thing wherever you go. Less weight on the shoulders as well.

Problem is that anything you try to make a case lighter will either make it more flimsy or more bulky. Protecs have nice protection but are bulky. Gig bags are lighter but are flimsy.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

SKB 360 is small, protective, cheap, and light.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Many years ago I was talking to a case maker about updating one of their designs... He cut me off and told me that trombone players were horrible customers. We want everything and are willing to pay for none of it.

I don't look at enough small bore cases to know what exact models are current, but there are a lot of slim-line/french style cases in carbon fiber. They are all also each a little different, and probably none of them have all the features you want.

For me, one of these days I am going to make a case for a screw bell bass. I don't see why I can't make something strong, relatively lightweight, that has backpack straps, and a place for a trombone stand and folding music stand. Bonus design to also add some wheels and fold down flap so it can double as a luggage cart for those concert in the park summer events.

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The case has to be kind of a weird shape and it doesn't necessarily translate to fitting every point very well. Backpack straps and hard, protective case in such an odd shape are not ergonomic in my opinion. The Marcus Bonna/Basili, etc. style cases probably do that the best, but they don't fit in airplanes as easily as you are describing to the best of my knowledge. Cronkhite style gig bags are pretty comfortable, but offer little in the way of protection when you're talking about flying and being able to check. Eastman cases are pretty protective and will fit overhead much of the time... but I find the backpack straps to be really uncomfortable because you have to use D ring clamps rather than have the straps sewn in like on the Cronkhite syle cases... which means it bounces all over the place.

Like Aiden mentioned, the 360 probably is the closest, if you can handle having a shoulder strap rather than the full backpack straps.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There used to be a case called "Dolly Bags" which were gig bags but the bag had a piece of moderately thick plastic sheet (felt like high density polyethylene) embedded in it. Made for a relatively form-fitting but more protective than usual bag. Unfortunately Dolly went out of business.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:49 am Unfortunately Dolly went out of business.
Before I could even say, "Hello!"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Stay off of United’s Canada Regional Jets. You won’t get anything bigger than an Olds Geib cornet case in the overhead, and only one at that. The one I was on yesterday did have two steerage closets for oversize carry on.

SKB, MTS, and Gator build sturdy, damage resistant cases. Not all horns fit in every case. My Shires is in an unidentified ABS student case. I like Gator the best but the others are okay. I try to find an ABS case with an aluminum valence that fits the horn.

Trying to ride a bicycle with a trombone strapped on it will most probably damage the case and quite possibly the horn. I always got someone to take the trombone in their car or had a second horn at the destination. The cart idea would be the best alternative if you must. A 3 to 4 inch bed of upholstery foam and movers blankets will help. The g loads are much higher than most people anticipate.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Marcus Bonna does the type of designs you are after, if not necessarily in exactly the size you want.

This might do it: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... -case-baby

If your 6H is one of the earlier ones with a smaller bell, this might be perfect: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... -case-jazz
Ask the people at Hornguys though - they are great.

Don't be put off by the name of this one. It is actually a hard case in the places the case needs to be hard for protection. Take a look at the description and pictures: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... r-trombone

MB cases are expensive, but they are worth the money - beautifully made to last.

On the other end of the price spectrum is ProTec, which also fits your descriptions somewhat. They are inexpensive, but they have their manufacturing together so they don't feel cheap at all. They won't last as long as a Marcus Bonna, but at this price point I don't think they are a waste of money. This would be the relevant one: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... max-case-1
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

GabrielRice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 pm ProTec ... also fits your descriptions somewhat. They are inexpensive, but they have their manufacturing together so they don't feel cheap at all. This would be the relevant one: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tr ... max-case-1
The ProTec MAX Tenor Case may be your best bet (and reasonably priced too), though the padded bell section may be larger than you want. But it will accommodate and protect your Conn 6H with 8" diameter bell. And should last a while - I've had one for several years (but never flown with it).

Return to “Accessories”