Leather Specialties Hand Guards

walldaja

Leather Specialties Hand Guards

Post by walldaja »

I noticed that I'm starting to wear through the finish on a horn and decided to give Leather Specialties hand guards a try. When they arrived I noticed how well they were made and included all but instructions. I mean, how hard can it be lacing up some leather guards? Figured I'd go on YouTube and fine a few hundred different videos of people showing me how to put them on. I got zip but I did get one that talked about how Leather Specialties started.

After trying several different lacing patterns I finally managed to get them on to my satisfaction. I have a wide slide horn (AC280) that in many ways is similar to a Bach 42 (the horn the guards were made for). Not necessarily in the cork barrels. Guard on right-hand for the slide impinged on lower slide cork and guard on the left-hand impinged (love that word!) on the tenon. Still it was close enough for a try--figured I could modify them without much difficulty.

After several days I thought my sound was a little muddy. I A-B'd the horn against another without guards and liked the sound without guards better. I rationalized that they were still different horns so I decided to take them off the AC and give it s try. Noticeable difference to my hearing. Liked the response without much better.

Now I know this may all be in my head but I'll go with losing finish. Anyone else have similar / different opinions after using them?
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Burgerbob

Re: Leather Specialties Hand Guards

Post by Burgerbob »

I used them for a long time, then took them off for cleaning. I realized I liked how the horn felt and responded with them off a lot better.

I have also taken a set off of a friend's horn for cleaning. Underneath the guards was the nastiest green... stuff I have ever seen. It smelled SO bad. I had to throw those ones away.

I also don't eat through my horns, so for me it was just an ergonomics thing- can't help with that part.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Accessories”