Emo Solotone Mute

SmokeyBear20252

Emo Solotone Mute

Post by SmokeyBear20252 »

Good evening all,

For years, I've used a Humes & Berg stonelined solotone mute. The tuning wasn't really an issue as I was able to compensate and was using it only for relatively short solo passages (like Song of India). Recently though, I've handed the guys some charts that require significant sectional solotone use. We've encountered what appears to be some common issues with being able to play in tune (they are quite to the sharp end). A fellow band leader suggested going to a Harmon mute with the stem extended saying it would produce a similar effect and that it had been his experience that it was much easier to play them in tune. If that's what we have to do, we'll go that route but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with the Emo solotone mute. It's a little pricey (due to shipping from Germany) to try without first asking for personal experiences. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Vegasbound

Re: Emo Solotone Mute

Post by Vegasbound »

Did use an emo solo tone, still have it they are much better than the H&B good sound and easier to play in tune
SmokeyBear20252

Vegasbound wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:08 am Did use an emo solo tone, still have it they are much better than the H&B good sound and easier to play in tune
Thank you! I'm going to play around with the Harmon today but I've a feeling I'm going to be ordering one of these as well.
SmokeyBear20252

The experiment with the Harmon didn't take long. Although much easier to play in tune, it sounded nothing like a solotone and produced some other disappointments as well. Looks like I'm going to have to go for the Emo. Anyone need a practically brand new Harmon?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I could have told you that, but you really needed to run the test yourself to understand what the issue is.

I find that Harmons, stem in or stem out, are very "thin" in tone and have a major volume problem. Without the stem, a Harmon becomes a practice mute, but with some intonation problems. The Harmon works a lot better with trumpets than trombones. The "Mega Mute" (Solotone, Clear Tone) is more friendly to trombone. When we did Rhapsody in Blue I auditioned both a Clear Tone and a true Harmon for the trombone solo. We decided the Clear Tone worked a lot better.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
SmokeyBear20252

Hello Bruce and thanks for taking time to weigh in on the subject. You're right, aside from the wasted $55, the first-hand negative experience was valuable. Everything you offered about the Harmon mute is 100% true. The next step is to order and evaluate an Emo solotone mute. It's a crying shame that Shastock is gone.

~Bruce (Smokey)

BGuttman wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:21 pm I could have told you that, but you really needed to run the test yourself to understand what the issue is.

I find that Harmons, stem in or stem out, are very "thin" in tone and have a major volume problem. Without the stem, a Harmon becomes a practice mute, but with some intonation problems. The Harmon works a lot better with trumpets than trombones. The "Mega Mute" (Solotone, Clear Tone) is more friendly to trombone. When we did Rhapsody in Blue I auditioned both a Clear Tone and a true Harmon for the trombone solo. We decided the Clear Tone worked a lot better.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I'm going to complicate things for you again. From my experience with Emo Solotone mutes on trumpet, their plastic mute plays better in tune, but their metal mute (a little more expensive) has a truer "solotone" sound, at the cost of some tuning vagaries. The aluminum trumpet version is the same length as the plastic one, but skinnier and of less internal volume. I don't know if this is true of the trombone mutes or to what degree, but it would have been nice to know. I would have likely not bothered buying the metal mute after having already purchased the plastic one.
SmokeyBear20252

Thanks heldenbone,

I just ordered the plastic Emo. I'll post my impression after I have some time to work with it.

heldenbone wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:30 pm I'm going to complicate things for you again. From my experience with Emo Solotone mutes on trumpet, their plastic mute plays better in tune, but their metal mute (a little more expensive) has a truer "solotone" sound, at the cost of some tuning vagaries. The aluminum trumpet version is the same length as the plastic one, but skinnier and of less internal volume. I don't know if this is true of the trombone mutes or to what degree, but it would have been nice to know. I would have likely not bothered buying the metal mute after having already purchased the plastic one.
SmokeyBear20252

After several days of working with the Emo solotone mute, here's MY experience. Yours may be different and you may see different results. I conducted the test using a 1939 model King 2B Silvertone and a Giddings Reggie Young mouthpiece which is supposed to be a copy of the Almont used in the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

First, there is a distinct tone difference between the plastic Emo and the H&B stone-lined model with the Emo sounding more true to the authentic big band era sound. But what about the tuning? That was my biggest gripe with the H&B. From B4 through at least Db5, the Emo tuning was acceptable with most notes varying no more than about 1.5 Hz between open and muted. From Bb4 on down, most notes were, like the H&B, extremely sharp. In short, the Emo is only slightly better than the H&B in terms of tuning but does deliver a tone that is much truer to the big band era. In terms of economics, the Emo is priced 20USD higher than the H&B and that's just out the gate without the rather significant shipping to the U.S. However, I'm glad I purchased the Emo and if it's durable, I'll consider it a worthwhile investment considering I plan on using it extensively.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

If you don't mind me asking, what are you playing that requires a lot of sectional solotone use?
SmokeyBear20252

Mostly Glenn Miller charts including Polka Dots and Moonbeams which has the bones on solotones up until the final chorus. Two Miller waltzes, Alice Blue Gown and My Wonderful One have quite a lot of solotone requirements in the trombone soli passages. Also, the Warrington arrangement of The Nearness of You which has the bones backing the vocals is written as open but we've elected to use solotones; and in the same chart, the trombone soli, originally open, we play with solotones. These come to mind right off hand and there's another on order that has a rather significant amount of solotone soli work.
BobbyBassClef

Post by BobbyBassClef »

Planning to buy a Solotone/Cleartone mute. All the info here has helped.

Anyone with feedback on the Gewa Solotone or the Trumcor Vintage Tone?

Return to “Accessories”