Axe Handle with a Holton 180?

RichC

Axe Handle with a Holton 180?

Post by RichC »

Anyone use one? Trying to find a grip aid that'll work with a 180 with split triggers. I use a Get a Grip with my Bach bass and it works well for me but can't get it to fit the Holton, so...on a search. Any insight is appreciated.
Specialk3700

Re: Axe Handle with a Holton 180?

Post by Specialk3700 »

This doesn't answer your question but I used the neotech grip with a holton 181 and it worked well. I imagine a 180 with split triggers would be very similar to hold to a 181.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

[CORRECTED] I mistakenly wrote that I tried the Axe Handle on my TR-180 but realized I only tried on it on my 50B2. So I don't have a useful comment for this thread. Oops. The Rath hand support works best for me out of various supports I've tried so far.
Last edited by dbwhitaker on Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Second the comment for Neotech, lifechanging on my 180 with split triggers.
RichC

Post by RichC »

Thanks for the comments...they help. I actually do have a Neotech from way back, so I had tried that, but the paddle was hitting it and not letting the D valve open all the way. Thinking I might try to file the plastic on the clamp down a bit and see if I can get it to work. Or, if I can figure out where to pick up a slightly longer adjustable miniball rod I might be able to adjust the paddle out enough to work.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

I've never tried the Axe Handle, but the Leather Specialties strap works really well on mine.
RichC

Post by RichC »

slidefunk wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:07 pm I've never tried the Axe Handle, but the Leather Specialties strap works really well on mine.
Thanks! Never tried a strap. How is getting in & out, for mute changes, etc? Also, I see there are different sizes. Is that for hand size or horn dependent?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd recommend the strap as well. Just like any aid, takes some getting used to, but it's cheap and doesn't get in your way. Also works on just about any trombone.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Re: mutes etc. If you’re going to have to deal with mutes etc in a given piece, you simply don’t use the strap for that tune.

I will use the strap for practicing but not necessarily during a rehearsal or concerts.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:52 pm Re: mutes etc. If you’re going to have to deal with mutes etc in a given piece, you simply don’t use the strap for that tune.

I have no problem with mute changes with my strap.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:57 pm
If you use your right hand for the mute changes, the strap offers no problem. If you want to use your left hand to change mutes, you need to disengage the strap either from your hand or the instrument and then re-engage it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:59 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:57 pm
If you use your right hand for the mute changes, the strap offers no problem. If you want to use your left hand to change mutes, you need to disengage the strap either from your hand or the instrument and then re-engage it.
Yes, which is no problem if you're used to it.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Before buying an axe handle measure your cross brace. I've owned 5+ Holton basses and only 2 of them had cross braces that were the same diameter. Consistently inconsistent.

A mid to late 70's TR180 should work with the .383 brace but I own a mid 60's 169 and owned mid 70's TR185 which have like a .470 cross brace. I owned another 169 which had a .420 cross brace. I have like 4 different clamp sizes just for Holtons I've owned lol.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
RichC

Post by RichC »

Thanks for all the comments...they all help. Guess it boils down to trying everything to see what works best (for me). I think I'm spoiled by the Get a Grip as it works so well on my Bach.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

RichC wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:26 pm Thanks! Never tried a strap. How is getting in & out, for mute changes, etc? Also, I see there are different sizes. Is that for hand size or horn dependent?
I use my right hand for mute changes so there's not really a difference. Just make sure you aren't stuffing your mutes in too tight.

The sizes are meant for different hands. I have 9 inch hands from pinky to thumb and went with a large, but I wish I had ordered a medium instead. Still works fine though. Keep in mind the leather will stretch with use.

Return to “Accessories”