My New-Old Bach Bass 'Bone Case

Mamaposaune

My New-Old Bach Bass 'Bone Case

Post by Mamaposaune »

This is my most recent restoration, a new home for my Courtois/Shires bass.
This was not my first case makeover, but definitely the most challenging. I had to strip it down to bare wood, and repair the bell flares and even re-attach one of them before starting the "fun" part.
However, I've had more time on my hands lately than I would like, and needed a project to keep me sane during the very depressing news story that has been unfolding, plus some personal crap. (Just kidding - a sane person would have just taken this to the curb, and ordered one of the many, many reasonably priced cases that are available today. However, having this to focus on definitely helped me cope better. And I love these old cases)
I made a reasonable attempt to keep it original looking, but minimize the weight by ditching the slide flap. It is very secure, however, with no wiggle room for the bell or slide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mamaposaune on Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
elmsandr

Re: My New Bach Bass 'Bone Case

Post by elmsandr »

Absolutely stunning. I've got a couple of these that I would love to do this to. Just haven't had the gumption to actually start as a project. I know this was a ton of work, but the results were worth it.

Cheers,
Andy
hornbuilder

Re: My New-Old Bach Bass 'Bone Case

Post by hornbuilder »

I have a couple of cases that need similar work. What materials did you use? Source?

Great work!!
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Absolutely stunning! I’ve never taken that type of job on, but I second the above question…
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I used lightweight "bronco" pattern tolex, ordered on-line, and applied it with contact cement. If I were to do another one I would go back to using the medium weight which has a fabric backing, imo it stretches and adheres better. Some hardware I had on-hand from previous projects, but ordered the latches from "Oldfish" on ebay. To me, they are the least original looking part of the case, but pickin's are scarce when it comes to latches and hinges.
The fabric is a crushed velour found at JoAnns Fabric. (I lucked out, it was in the clearance bin)
I have no special skills, but just enjoy redoing these old cases. Let's just say I seem to have to learn the hard way, and leave it at that. If I have any suggestions, they would be:
1. Don't start with a french-style case, especially one you cherish. Find a "disposable" one to practice on, the infamous Bach fabric covered cases are relatively easy to do - I did one and managed to use just 2 pieces of tolex, one for each side. And now it's my favorite case to use when I teach (going house to house) because it has a massive compartment for duets, alcohol wipes, a tuner, various lubricants, etc. etc.
It takes me many hours spread over many weeks to complete. You may very well be faster, but know it is VERY time consuming. Definitely a "labor of love."
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

I really appreciate your write-up on it. I’m thinking I’ll start with a relative simple box style Yamaha case. Thanks again for the information and it looks wonderful.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Nice work!

Did the tolex stretch around the curves?

Did you rivet the latches on after the exterior was done and before the interior was done?

I was going to rivet a new latch on a case as a repair. There was more give in the case with the interior present. So I used a screw and a nylon inserted nut. I felt like no matter how much i pulled back the interior, it would not be enough until I removed it.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
RobL

Post by RobL »

Well done!
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

whitbey wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 pm Nice work!

Did the tolex stretch around the curves?

Did you rivet the latches on after the exterior was done and before the interior was done?

I was going to rivet a new latch on a case as a repair. There was more give in the case with the interior present. So I used a screw and a nylon inserted nut. I felt like no matter how much i pulled back the interior, it would not be enough until I removed it.
Thanks. The lightweight tolex that I used is thin vinyl and does not have a fabric backing. I thought it most resembled the Keratol covering that was original to the case, but it does not stretch easily. The fabric-backed tolex is a little easier to stretch around the bell flare.
And, I have never installed new hardware without adding new lining afterwards, but I suppose it's possible as long as you get the fabric pulled back enough.
So, after getting down to bare wood, first glue the tolex down with contact cement (outdoors if possible) then install all the hardware, then the lining, and finally the blocking, which of course you want to cover first.
baroquetrombone

Post by baroquetrombone »

That is GREAT work. Nice job. I know exactly how much of a pain it can be (I'm the one who posted the German case in the other thread). I'm particularly impressed by the lip on the top. Mine is...less good.

Thanks for keeping these old cases alive. I just can't bear to throw away a case that has served a trombone for 100+yrs when I know I can make it useable again. I'm glad someone else is as crazy. :-)
gbedinger

Post by gbedinger »

Thanks Sue for that info and all that have followed…great thread. I’ve recently acquired a couple of cases that could use this kind of work.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

That is awesome. More inspiration for me to finish my screwbell case.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Some years ago, I did a complete rebuild of a "French-style" Holton bass trombone case.

For the covering fabric I used vinyl from a car restoration shop (some of you will remember the vinyl roof era!) There was a vast range of textures and colours and it was easy to apply and had a fair amount of stretch for the curves.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
JubyChan

Post by JubyChan »

I have an old Conn trombone and case that I got off of Kijiji for $110. Im hoping i can redo the lining of the case and treat the wood underneath to rid of its musty smell. Thanks for posting this tutorial. Its going to be great help.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Beautiful work.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Accessories”