Gewa double case

jchiang9

Gewa double case

Post by jchiang9 »

Has anybody had any experiences/seen a Gewa double trombone case? From what I've seen online, it should fit bass and tenor fairly readily.
Kevbach33

Re: Gewa double case

Post by Kevbach33 »

Resurrecting a thread that went nowhere...

I may be in the market for a double case, but trying to keep my budget under $500 after taxes. It's not like I'll be flying with my horns anytime soon, so no need to budget lots of money for a Marcus Bonna or similar. It just would be very convenient to carry two horns in one (fairly light, i assume) case, leaving my hands free for my mute bag, music stand and music.

Surely someone has to have gotten, or got hands on with, one of these at some point since the OP posted their query. All observations are appreciated.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

All I know about GEWA is that it's tougher to get your hands on one than you'd think, and their alto case did not fit an alto trombone. So...
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Interesting when you say their alto case didnt fit an alto trombone - interesting because I've been thinking of getting one for my Conn 34... is that a no go then?.. Doug
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

No go. The Conn altos don't fit, specifically in the bell flare area.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I've never seen a Gewa trombone case, but I got my daughter a Gewa cello case and it's SUPER nice, extremely well designed, and a really good deal when comparing it to the uber-pricey ones.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

2 points.

Gewa do make nice and affordable cases, I have a Bass Trombone one - excellent value and functionality.

Harrison - thank you for the tip off if they dont fit they dont fit, I'll keep my money and watch, I only play an Alto once in a blue moon and its not a nice sound anyway!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I got one.
Ordered it from Hickeys. Took 6 months for delivery. Might be supply chain issues.

I really like the case. I have several things I want to have two horns at, or more stuff then fits in one case.
This is the first case in my life that did not need altering. It is not a wood case, but it has the firm fiberish board.

The slide compartment is nice. It is longer then needed, enough longer that the mouthpiece could stay on the slide and go in. ( just fitting, I do not do that) The bell compartment is set up very well. While there is a diagonal wall between, each bell section stands square with plenty of room to fit securely.

I found I could put a Hercules stand in the bells. The bag gets real heavy then. Music can stuff in beside a bell. And my water bottle wrapped up and my bag of toys goes in by the bells easy.

There are pouches on both sides. one side goes against my body when carrying, so i would not put much more then a music folder in. The other pouch is smaller, but is big enough for my folding music stand and it has a place for two MP's

I have a stand I need for my arm that is about the size of a bell section. I can clip it on the outside. Or if I wish I can take one extra slide for back up and put the stands in the other bell section.

My Bach bass with its wild and wide second valve lever fits real easy with an Edwards tenor with the valve. This bag would hold two bass bones. The bigger bell would fit.

It has two straps that do not work for me. I am the problem, not the bag. I have big shoulders. I wear a 60 long suit coat. I am the guy in the back row that looks like Shrek. If i put the bag on a table I can get it on and it sit ok on my back. I expect the backpack straps would work for most. There is a second strap for a one strap carry. That is too short for me. But I have straps that are longer with nice hardware. My strap goes on and the case fits over my shoulder pretty good.

It is easy to get either horn out and leave the other. I have an older altered Bags of Spain that is set up nice now and word ok. But I do like not having to take one horn out to get to the bottom one. Side by side is nice.

An Alto would fit, but I would stick a towel in to keep it in place.

The magnet latch for the handle is cool and has worked perfect. The zippers seem better then most cases. i use the old tubes of Trombontine for zippers now that I switched to Yamasnot.

The bag will hold a lot of junk and stands. If you do put a lot in it will be heavy. I usually do not take a lot of stuff.

I have four different playing situations that taking two horns will b a nice help. One case is better.

The Marcus B case is better then the Bag of Spain, except my has been altered to be good. I think this case is laid out better the the Marcus B Case. The Marcus B Case is still probably made better. But maybe not.

https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku121078.php

https://gewabags.com/product/17648/gewa ... -sps.html
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My friend just got the bass/tenor double case. He loves it!
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

Hi,

Any chance we could get some photos of how the bells and slides look inside their compartments? Both the hickeys and GEWA sites don’t have photos showing how horns fit.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Whitbey,

Many thanks about the informative write up. It's been a long time since I asked about any experiences.

Since the virus took it's hold, I honestly forgot about this, so it's reassuring that someone has a largely positive review over a year and a half later. I'm not small by any means, needing a size 50 long suit coat, so I'll need to test the straps should I pull the trigger and test my patience (currently waiting for a Gard tuba bag that's supposed to arrive on the 4th of November...). Speaking of, how would you grade the quality of the straps, even if they don't fit your frame? I need to be able to backpack the case so this is important.

Interior pics are also greatly appreciated.
Kevin Afflerbach
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

If I put bigger straps on the two strap side, I could make it work. For me just using a big strap I have on the other side is good. The quality of the straps is very good. Just at my size, nothing fits. I have short legs so in my F150 the seat belt has to go high to go over my shoulder. Only a few inches left in the reel then.

Photos someone on the board took that I still have. They are as my case is.

The slide compartment is solid because of the way it is attached to the main case. The slide compartment has a normal amount of solid board but put in place so it is quite stable. The main bag does not have any flex so the slide compartment does not seem to want to bend to misaligned the slides. There is a board encased in material on to of the slide compartment that folds over before you zip up. A design that would be very nice if pant manufacturers used.

I use towels and cardboard in my cases and through in a lot of stuff and water bottles next to the bell. I don't worry about the finish but I do not want dents. This case functions the same as an Edwards hard case in that respect except there is more room.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:05 am No go. The Conn altos don't fit, specifically in the bell flare area.
Actually, the Conn alto fits perfectly in my GEWA alto case, no problem. Maybe different cases? This says GEWA Prestige, but maybe all their products do.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I’ve been looking at this double case for a while. I haven’t needed one… yet…

Re: straps, I had an old BAM case that needed new straps. I went to REI and bought some padded ones, some extra strap length, and held it all together with a couple of buckles.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

My Conn Alto fits just fine. There is enough flex and stability, I think anything that is a trombone will fit.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

A bump for the Gewa double case.

I have not seen any other post. A good case deserves to be noted.

I have really enjoyed this case. It is so flexible. Most anything fits and can be wrapped and tucked in with two bones. Anything from the bass to the alto.

I got mine from Hickey's
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
TheFilthOfFrank

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

Not to dredge up an old thread, but would a 10-inch bell bass trombone fit in this case with an 8.5-inch tenor?
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

TheFilthOfFrank wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:19 pm Not to dredge up an old thread, but would a 10-inch bell bass trombone fit in this case with an 8.5-inch tenor?
Just looked at the Gewa site, and it only fits up to 9.5", they state. Maybe @whitbey can elaborate on how big a bell might fit.
Kevin Afflerbach
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

This is a maybe.

It is meant for 9-1/2 inches. When I put my Bach bass with a 9-1/2 bell in the case, It goes in easy, there is room me to stick my index fingers in on both sides of the bell. My fingers are 9/16 of an inch thick compressed.

I put my Cerveny oval euphonium in that has a 10-5/16 bell and it fit ok. But it is touching the sides.

With the Bach bass with a 9-1/2 bell in, there is about 3/4 of an inch extra space on top. That lines up with the other measurements. But high to low might be different the left to right.

No semi soft case should be tossed around. A bigger bell would be tight. On the other hand, my second valve lever is long and wide. It was made years ago before the standard was set. There are pics on my profile. The lever fits fine. I am stuff music stands, water bottles and so on wrapped in towels in my cases beside the bell and it all fits fine.

The second horn in the case will be fine and easy.

There is a fiber board diagonally the length of the bell compartment. So the bell does need to float on a slight angle. The euph bell could twist 3 or 4 times the amount needed.

The only problem I have had with this case is since it can hold a lot of stuff, it seems heavy at times. But it is less heavy then two cases.

I am good at altering cases and things to make them work, but I think I would go for it.

I use the case with an alto also. I put a foam piece in to keep the slide from moving.

I live in SE Michigan if anyone is near and wants to try it out.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Bump
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I got the Gewa double case a week ago and directly used it the same day.

It easily holds my Greenhoe 9.5 inch bass and Conn 88h. I have not tried my 112h yet which I think has a 10 inch bell. outside the bell there is really enough room, but the flare could be the actual limitation.

The design is really practical and relatively robust imo. This in combination with an affordable price is a really good mix.

Of course it is big and heavy, but definitely easier than carrying two separate bags when you need bass and tenor.

I wouldn't put too much other stuff in there because anyway I always have a small additional bag with me for e g music, water bottle, accessories, music stand etc.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I went to a Play it again sports and bought a golf cart for $20 then a few bungee cords that wrap around the case good.
A two horn case and me are wider then a doorway. Letting the case ride on the cart is a nice way to go.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Accessories”