screw bell case roundup

jacobgarchik

screw bell case roundup

Post by jacobgarchik »

I'm trying to make a list of all known screw bell cases.
Let me know if you know of any more.

Lawler gig bag
Lawler hard shell case
http://www.roylawlertrombones.com/sugge ... cases.html

Marcus Bonna jazz
Marcus Bonna tenor
Marcus Bonna bass
http://www.mbcases.com.br/en/product-ca ... /trombone/

Basilli tenor
Basilli bass
http://www.brassark.com/cases.html

Marco Magi/Shires tenor
Marco Magi bass
http://www.marcomagi.it/en/home.asp#

and no longer made
old Holton
8 1/2" straight tenor
9 " trigger tenor
bass?

old Conn Gardell Simmons

I've also seen older Theins in a hard case. Not sure who made it.
Burgerbob

Re: screw bell case roundup

Post by Burgerbob »

A few one offs, of course. John Sandhagen made his case.

Bonna makes a contra screwbell case, and is now making a bass/contra double case, for both screwbell instruments.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Already found another one, for Maass trombones. This has a detachable slide compartment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Bore-Bb- ... :rk:1:pf:0

http://trombones.maassmusical.com
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Friend of mine reminded me that until the 90s, very few French Horn players had cut bells and very few cases were available. Now it is the norm. Hoping this becomes true for trombones as well.
The Marcus Bonnas and Basillis are very nice but not particularly thin, especially if you have a medium or small bore trombone or a closed wrap F attachment. They're also very expensive.
Maybe Protec, Eastman, Reunion Blues, BAM, Gator and SKB will get into the game?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The biggest market right now is definitely bass trombonists, followed by large tenors. A small tenor case would be a good idea from a maker for sure.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

I modified a guitar pedal case for my screwbell bass.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

Backbone wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:13 pm I modified a guitar pedal case for my screwbell bass.
Would love to see some photos of this!
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

Here are a few:

Backbone

Post by Backbone »

Backbone

Post by Backbone »

jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Backbone, what model of case is that? What are the dimensions?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

That is a beautiful adaptation. May have to pick one up for myself.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

Backbone wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm Here are a few:
That looks great! Where did you get the case for this and how heavy is it?
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

jacobgarchik wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:13 pm Backbone, what model of case is that? What are the dimensions?
I don't see a model on the case. But it is roughly 36 1/2" X 10 1/2" X 6" - Outside dimensions.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

elmsandr wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 am That is a beautiful adaptation. May have to pick one up for myself.
Thanks. Might cut an accessory pocket in the foam later.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

jchiang9 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:04 pm
Backbone wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm Here are a few:
That looks great! Where did you get the case for this and how heavy is it?
I bought it off craigslist. It is not very heavy at all. I'll have to weigh when I get home.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

If anybody is curious, a 16" Viola case is just big enough/long enough to fit a trombone slide! I got a cheap Viola case and modified it for my screw bell tenor. I'll get around to making a better looking bell cover at some point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mtAMjrY5D5Ck4MgF6
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

These moded cases are cool. Can people post dimensions of those cases for comparison's sake?

The Basilli case (same as the Bonna Tenor Case) is 11"x6"x34 1/2" (11" at the widest end)

The Bonna jazz case is 9"x5.1"x33"

The Holton 8.5 case is 10.2"x4.9x35"
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

jacobgarchik wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:10 am These moded cases are cool. Can people post dimensions of those cases for comparison's sake?

The Basilli case (same as the Bonna Tenor Case) is 11"x6"x34 1/2" (11" at the widest end)

Mine is 34x12x6 (12 is the widest point)
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

jacobgarchik wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:10 am These moded cases are cool. Can people post dimensions of those cases for comparison's sake?

My bona tenor measures a little smaller than the Basilli.
9.75x5.5x34.25.

I really like it. I've had no issue on small planes or train overheads so far and has a little extra room to squeeze in a few effect pedals, plunger mute under bell flair, etc.

Also that guitar pedal mod is really excellent! Is it a case that would be safe to check?
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

mbarbier wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:19 pm
Also that guitar pedal mod is really excellent! Is it a case that would be safe to check?
I wouldn't trust it. But I did take it on a flight and it fit in the overhead no problem.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

I received the Bonna Screw Bell Jazz case a few weeks ago. It's pretty much what you would expect from Bonna. For my needs and the way I travel with a horn this case seems to be the best option. It is expensive, and it also (unlike my regular tenor Bonna) has an off-gassing issue that is getting better but is still noticeable. Not sure if this is a material, construction, or timeline issue (I believe the Horn Guys order was late, so perhaps they were rushing and didn't allow for the normal curing time?)

Anyway the dimensions as listed by Hickey's and Jacob above are accurate. For those Lawler friends in the audience I think you might just be able to get two bells stacked with a little cloth between them. Also my 7 3/4" bell seems to just fit, but perhaps there's enough padding there for the advertised 8" possibility?

Pics:

jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

what do you mean by "off-gassing"?
It would be odd if it didn't fit an 8" bell. What kind of "jazz trombone" case wouldn't fit a King 3b?
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

jacobgarchik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am what do you mean by "off-gassing"?
It smells like a glue factory when the case is open. Very unpleasant.
jacobgarchik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
It would be odd if it didn't fit an 8" bell. What kind of "jazz trombone" case wouldn't fit a King 3b?
I'm sure an 8" bell will fit. They had to put enough padding in there to accommodate smaller bells as well. It does feel snug though.
dembones

Post by dembones »

I also recently received the Marcus Bonna "Jazz" screw bell case. Use it with my Lawlers. I like it, and the 8" flare fits just fine.
Don Mikkelsen
BassTbone

Post by BassTbone »

I'm thinking this would be a great option that's pretty inexpensive and wouldn't require that much modification.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... vault/v700
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Schlitz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 am
BassTbone wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 am I'm thinking this would be a great option that's pretty inexpensive and wouldn't require that much modification.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... vault/v700
Try going through a TSA Checkpoint with it. Let us know how that, and the cavity search went.......
I know this is toungue-in-cheek but to provide a slightly serious response for those who didn't pick up on it:

I've actually gone through TSA with a similar case that I use for my computer. They did pull me aside but it was because I had a computer handrest in it and it had a bunch of sand in it. They look for 'organics' so they thought I was smuggling something in with it. Nope! Just rest my wrists on it. Ironically enough, I had a ton of wires and stuff (I travel with my own keyboard, mouse, extension cables, and other peripheral devices that are wired to the laptop) so I thought for sure they were thinking I had something wired up in the case. They actually showed me what they can see and it's a pretty high level of detail. That case is super flat so I'd suspect if anything, you'd probably even have an easier time with that case than a normal trombone case!
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Having been picking up somebody at the airport and dropping them off... You get a lot more questions before and after security from "helpful" people that think they know what you have than you have problems with the security personnel. A big sticker that says "trombone" goes a long way to answer a lot of questions.

That said, anybody know of a nice pelican style case like this that is UNDER 36" long? Need it to be just under for what I want..

Cheers,
Andy
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

elmsandr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 am Having been picking up somebody at the airport and dropping them off... You get a lot more questions before and after security from "helpful" people that think they know what you have than you have problems with the security personnel. A big sticker that says "trombone" goes a long way to answer a lot of questions.

That said, anybody know of a nice pelican style case like this that is UNDER 36" long? Need it to be just under for what I want..

Cheers,
Andy
Can't vouch for the seller but:

https://www.evike.com/products/54105/
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

elmsandr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 am Having been picking up somebody at the airport and dropping them off... You get a lot more questions before and after security from "helpful" people that think they know what you have than you have problems with the security personnel. A big sticker that says "trombone" goes a long way to answer a lot of questions.

Cheers,
Andy
I've got a Pelican case that I modified to put my bass and tenor. Indestructible (until TSA opens it up and puts everything back in incorrectly...)! Having stickers saying musical instrument definitely helps having to answer so many questions. Did get asked if there was a guitar in it though...
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

Schlitz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:06 am
jchiang9 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 pm I've got a Pelican case that I modified to put my bass and tenor. Indestructible (until TSA opens it up and puts everything back in incorrectly...)! Having stickers saying musical instrument definitely helps having to answer so many questions. Did get asked if there was a guitar in it though...
Which model case? Pelican has the option for a custom foam pad insert. Could you share some pictures of that case mod? Thanks!!!
I used a Pelican 1740. I don't have more pictures and probably won't take them for a while as the case is in storage. But here it is when I first did it up (we had a thread going about this on the old forum).

There is a Shires Trubore bass under the tenor. The tenor is a Shires dual bore valve.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyvjp068jsg2g ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jchiang9

Post by jchiang9 »

Schlitz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:34 am I think I missed that thread on the old forum. THANKS a lot. I have a hard time getting around during the winter. This is a great solution.
My pleasure. I've also lent it out to a lot of trombone players in my city and they've all used it differently. Some stick pull out the foam and stuck in their tenor and alto in their own cases and added clothing to fill up space. Another player stored their large bore tenor in its hard case and had a bag of mutes and most of their luggage for a tour all over Asia!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Anyone making a hard case for screw bell bass bones? I have a Pelican Valt700 that I plan to use for serious travel as I can haul my Bass bone, stand and my Flute all in one very safe case. I would like something just as rugged but a smaller package to just fit my 50A3 and lube kit. Not really so impressed with what is available for flat cases.
Thanks
Ez
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

...Marcus Bonna
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

As far as I can tell Marcus Bonna, Basilli, and Marco Magi make cases for screw bell bass trombones. Also there are old Holton cases floating around but those are probably too tight a fit for a modern instrument.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

You fly with yours Aiden? Trust it? Seems like not so much protection, especially for the price
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Absolutely. The whole point is that it's small enough to avoid scrutiny getting on the plane, so you can always take it as a carry on.

The horn would also be pretty OK getting checked, if it came to that.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Any ware you can get one without waiting till next year?
BTW Benn is doing my horn! Thanks
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

No clue! Glad I got mine when I did.

And great! Benn will do an amazing job.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

You'd have to find one in stock which is probably going to be a tall order. Basili might have less of a waiting list and has a similar design.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The basili is pretty inferior, IMO. Less quality and fewer amenities. If you can afford the wait, go for the better case.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

EZSlider wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 pm You fly with yours Aiden? Trust it? Seems like not so much protection, especially for the price
I've got the tenor screw bell and fly with it several times a month- I haven't had to but I'd feel fairly confident if I had to gate check it.

I do feel like the slide has some more lateral movement than I'd prefer, but a few pairs of socks solves that concern.

I popped the corks off a Humes and Berg fiber trumpet mute and that fits in the bell really nicely to give that extra support, since an in bell practice mute isnt an option. I keep my plunger under my bell flare to give it a similar support.

I'm curious if Marcus Bona is going to sell the case they make for Thein's screw bell horns. It's really small. A bass version of that would be pretty amazing.
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Just bit the bullet and pre-ordered.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

mbarbier wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:40 am
I'm curious if Marcus Bona is going to sell the case they make for Thein's screw bell horns. It's really small. A bass version of that would be pretty amazing.
how are these different from MB's other cases?
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I've not seen it in person- just pictures- but it appears to be the basic body shape of the tenor case but the slide is in a detachable section. Because of this the section that holds the bell section looks to be quite a bit shorter and a bit thinner since it looks like its been cut down to be just the size of the bell/valve section. Sadly, as far as I can tell, you can only get it if you buy a Thein.

Found the pic on google- not sure if link will work https://www.facebook.com/petersteinertr ... 421736621/
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

like this? Can't you just order these just like any other MB case?

http://mbcases.com.br/en/products/tenor ... bell-mb-2/
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Awesome- couldn't find it before but glad it's out there! Guess the post I saw that it is exclusive isn't the case. That's great
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them

Return to “Accessories”