Pixie mute fitting

Harpcat

Pixie mute fitting

Post by Harpcat »

How deep should the pixie mute fit into the bell? Currently, I’ve got it adjusted so the plunger just barely clears it. I recently saw someone play with it recessed very deeply into the bell.
Thanks in advance!
Nhtrombone

Re: Pixie mute fitting

Post by Nhtrombone »

Check out Al Grey’s Plunger Technique book

Lots of great instructions in there.
Last edited by Nhtrombone on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Rule of thumb for any inserted mute:

If it plays flat, move it in.
If it plays sharp, move it out.
If it plays in tune, leave it alone.

Given the flexibility of the trombone, this matters less than with valved instruments. Still, it doesn't hurt to have the mute adjusted in tune. If the plunger clears the pixie, at the very worst it's good enough. Even if it didn't, you'd still get the effect. If precision and intonation are goals, the extra time spent fitting a mute is worth it, as there's that much less to compensate for than there would be with a lazy approach.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

Has Mike given permission for his father's book to be posted here?

It's usually pretty deep, but you don't want it to totally close off the airflow. Shouldn't have problems with plunger clearance because it is meant to be played with one.

A pixie isn't like other mutes, and isn't used like other mutes. It's almost always used in conjunction with a plunger. Historically it was actually a Nonpareil trumpet straight mute with the corks built up. If you're trying to get the Tricky Sam Nanton sound with all the Ya-yas, it's a little easier to do with the Nonpareil - the closest available mute to that you can find now-a-days is the tom crown metal straight trumpet mute. Some people use any old trumpet straight mute with corks built up.

The pixie fixes some of these tuning issues - well, it does seem to be a bit more stable anyway, but... still - tuning? You're going to have to do that with your ears and your right hand. Usually I just push the tuning slide all the way in and judge which way to go off of the first note. The use of the mute with plunger is unpredictable unless you're using it all the time, and even then it's a crapshoot. There are tendencies, but don't rely on them.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

The Harmon triple-play trumpet mute works as a pixie for trombone too. If you double trumpet, it’s worth a look.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I found using a trumpet straight mute in my Conn 20H works just as good and is a lot cheaper. An older guy in the Thad Jones Mel Lewis band taught me that. He gave me a plunger lesson in a smelly bathroom of a dive jazz club in Cleveland Ohio a very long time ago!
wegibson

Post by wegibson »

Al Grey's book is great. I studied with Al and played in his big band that he co-led with Jimmy Forrest. I use the Facet mute version of the Pixie mute and have found that to be the best mute overall for use with the plunger.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I didn't see what i was looking for so I'll have to ask.

I just got a pixie mute. A buddy of mine suggested i pull the tube that goes into the mute so it'll play better (sound and pitch i guess). Has anyone else done this?
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Al Gray always recommended that. It makes some difference but not much.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I did that. I bougth a new. Actually Al did that too. It does not do much good.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve used pixies forever and am always looking for different sounds.
The Stonelined Flugel-horn/Alto Trombone straight mute works great as a different "Pixie" sound.
You have to move the corks. It doe`nt have that unstableness that the trumpet mute has when you play below tuning Bb

Return to “Accessories”