Going digital: stands and holders?

Kbiggs

Going digital: stands and holders?

Post by Kbiggs »

I’ve decided to convert to digital music as much as possible. I have a new iPad, ForScore, and the AirTurn Pro pedal. I play 95% classical and chamber music, if that makes a difference.

What kind of stand do most people use? A regular music stand? If so, how do you keep the iPad on the stand?

If you use a different stand, do you use a mic stand with an arm to hold the tablet? A dedicated straight stand like the goStand: https://store.airturn.com/collections/t ... blet-stand? Something else?

What kind of tablet holder? There are diagonal holders, large clip holders, and adjustable ones like Hercules and KMI.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
afugate

Re: Going digital: stands and holders?

Post by afugate »

I use a collapsible boom mic stand. Lightweight, and I can adjust the boom to keep the stand out of the way when necessary to fit into cramped quarters.

I'm not especially satisfied with my current tablet holder, so I'll defer on that.

Oh, I found an old Prince tennis racket bag that I picked up for a buck. Works great to carry my large iPad and stand/holder. Also can fit either my tenor or bass stand. Slings over my shoulder. It's very handy, and has made for some fun comments when I show up to the gig. :lol:

--Andy in OKC
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

I use a collapsible mic stand without the boom (looks similar to the goStand you mentioned) and screw-on a MANOS tablet holder purchased through AirTurn. It clamps my iPad Pro securely and still swivels easily to change from portrait to landscape if you need to do that due to size of the music. The only problem I have experienced with the MANOS is that if you rotate it too many times, the nut and bolt in the center loosens up and you have to disassemble it to get access to the nut to tighten things back up. But not that much of a big deal, now that I know what to look for and control. I use a hockey duffle bag from a sporting goods store to carry my stands and gear (I travel with a bass and tenor together).
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I'm considering this too. I have a work issued iPad and like it but of course can't use that for the playing I do.

Do you like the iPad based tablets, or the Android? And the prices range all over the place, I'm wondering what options I need.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have a MANOS iPad holder, and goStand from airTurn. All works great and I can keep the case on my iPad.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

goStand from AirTurn. https://caddiebuddy.com/ipad-holder-for-mic-stand/ - holder. holds each corner. comes with adapter for mic stand AND the extension arm.

I use a BlueBoard (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... -blueboard) only because I already had it. A BlueTurn (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... g-blueturn) would be better for a dedicated page turner as it is smaller.
Steve
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have a K&M iPad stand and found that to be the best of the options when I was using Apple products for music.
timothy42b wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm I'm considering this too. I have a work issued iPad and like it but of course can't use that for the playing I do.

Do you like the iPad based tablets, or the Android? And the prices range all over the place, I'm wondering what options I need.

Don't neglect Windows tablets in this. MobileSheets is pretty good on both Android and Windows; the Surface tablets are great for this use and you can get used ones for a pretty reasonable price that are a few years old and, unlike Apple stuff, will let you install the most recent version of their OS on them. (e.g. if you were to buy an iPad 2 right now, unless you bought forScore a few years ago, you wouldn't be able to install it because it "requires" iOS 10+ and the max version for the iPad 2 is 9.x.x).
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

I actually just use a regular peak stand, as do most of the folks in my big band (mix of iPads, Microsoft surfaces, Boox, plus several on paper). I do this because I have a smaller iPad, and wasn’t sure how well in-stand stuff would work (wouldn’t be such a problem for classical), and it gives me a place to set paper music if I need it from time-to-time. That said, I mostly haven’t bought anything else because I didn’t want to spend more money.

But now I’m intrigued. People with Manos/Go-stand setups- a few questions:
Does in-stand playing work alright? Are you still able to read while playing in-stand?
How easy is it to raise and lower the setup for solos and such?
What happens if you get paper to read? Just quick scan it in?
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

I normally use the regular low band fronts for playing in the big band, but the Manos/GoStand for everything else. When playing in the community band and the director passes out new paper music to read, I just rotate it sideways and then use the top spring-operated tablet holder to also grab the paper music. The problem comes when the part is 3 or more pages long.
afugate

Post by afugate »

kingsk1117 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:52 pm I normally use the regular low band fronts for playing in the big band, but the Manos/GoStand for everything else. When playing in the community band and the director passes out new paper music to read, I just rotate it sideways and then use the top spring-operated tablet holder to also grab the paper music. The problem comes when the part is 3 or more pages long.
Use the camera on your tablet to take pictures of the pages. I do this with ForScore and it works very well in a pinch for stuff that was just handed out. I use a dedicated scanner app but ForScore includes some built in scanning capability.

--Andy in OKC
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

afugate wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:14 am
kingsk1117 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:52 pm I normally use the regular low band fronts for playing in the big band, but the Manos/GoStand for everything else. When playing in the community band and the director passes out new paper music to read, I just rotate it sideways and then use the top spring-operated tablet holder to also grab the paper music. The problem comes when the part is 3 or more pages long.
Use the camera on your tablet to take pictures of the pages. I do this with ForScore and it works very well in a pinch for stuff that was just handed out. I use a dedicated scanner app but ForScore includes some built in scanning capability.

--Andy in OKC
Descapresto or Peak with the iPad pro. I usually have time to scan in orchestra/symphonic band pieces. But for big bands we're always getting a last minute handout or "new book" with a ton of stuff I don't have scanned, so the regular stand is needed. PageFLip Butterfly.

Some places have Manhasset stands available (in varying states of repair/movement.
afugate

Post by afugate »

vetsurginc wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:47 am Descapresto or Peak with the iPad pro. I usually have time to scan in orchestra/symphonic band pieces. But for big bands we're always getting a last minute handout or "new book" with a ton of stuff I don't have scanned, so the regular stand is needed. PageFLip Butterfly.

Some places have Manhasset stands available (in varying states of repair/movement.
Ahh. That makes sense.
--Andy in OKC

Return to “Technology”