Shure MV88 vs Zoom products

TheBoneRanger

Shure MV88 vs Zoom products

Post by TheBoneRanger »

My Zoom H2 finally bit the dust after 15 years loyal service, so I’m looking at what’s out there to replace it.

The obvious answer is the modern equivalent, a Zoom h2n. But I stumbled across this:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88

Plugs into an iPhone or iPad (I have both) and then gives me the option of video.

Sound seems quite impressive:

I largely used the zoom for personal practice, and the occasional ensemble recording.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Andrew
GBP

Re: Shure MV88 vs Zoom products

Post by GBP »

Yeah, that is nice for just recording yourself and rehearsal recording. You will need a phone with a lot of storage. How much do they want for it?
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

GBP wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:22 pm How much do they want for it?
I can pick one up for about AU$189. The Zoom h2n is $100 more.
GBP wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:22 pm You will need a phone with a lot of storage.
I'd just be doing audio recordings most of the time, so storage is not so much of an issue. With video, sure (Shure?) but I would only be doing 5 minute clips or so.

Andrew
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I have one and like it. It sounds MUCH better than the native iPhone/iPad mic. I mostly use it for recording myself and/or students in the studio with the Shure apps. The only downsides for an iPhone/iPad user: 1. The port is too short to use with most cases. 2. It seems to only work with the Shure apps.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

So for anyone playing along at home, or searching in the future...

...I bought a variation on the Shure, their MV88+ video kit:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/mi ... s/mv88plus

I found a really good sale on one locally, so pulled the trigger. A youtube video by a cello player convinced me that it would be able to handle bass sounds to my satisfaction:

The sound is really terrific; at least on par with my old Zoom H2, if not better. The ease with which you can adjust the gain, microphone patterns, and EQ makes it really user friendly. Having a video option is really nice, too.

I recorded some examples, mostly on bass trombone, from about 2 metres away, and it has a really natural sound. Then I turned down the gain and moved to about a foot away, akin to a studio situation, and it has a nice, clean sound like I would expect using a nice microphone up close. Tried some tuba, too, and it was really impressive, so it's very comfortable with the low end horns despite its modest size.

I think it's definitely worth stumping up the cash for the MV88+ (as opposed to the MV88). The tripod gives you lots of options in terms of placement. Using your phone means you don't have to worry about batteries (assuming your phone is charged!) and the port length issue that BHolleyBrass mentioned above is a non issue. I can even set the mic up next to my iPad, which gives me even more flexibility. And the bag that it comes with is really slick and compact.

Overall, I'm super impressed. I'll attempt to do a youtube video at some point, so that fellow musicians don't have to trawl through hundreds of videos by "influencers" and "content creators" to find out if it's any good.

Andrew

Return to “Technology”