Tascam DR-05

walldaja

Tascam DR-05

Post by walldaja »

A group of us decided to do a virtual performance. The music we were to sync with was on Youtube. My computer (desktop) is on the other side of the room from where I practice so I recorded the Youtube video via the headphone out of my Focusrite 2i2 into my DR-05 recorder.

I then played the recording in the DR-05 via headphones while I played my part. I videoed my playing of the part via my cellphone.

When the person who was putting it together listed to it he said I seemed to be playing too fast. He asked if I was playing with the video. We decided I should record the Youtube run time with the playback time of the DR-05. Run time of the video was 2:05 but the playback time of the DR-05 was 1:44. I was definitely playing faster; but, with my recording.

I was surprised the DR-05 recorded faster. After downloading my manual for the DR-05 and tinkering I discovered my playback speed was 1.2 time. I immediately reset it to 1!

When you don't use things in a while they'll come back to bite you.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Cmillar

Re: Tascam DR-05

Post by Cmillar »

Yeah, that's funny! I own a DR-05 as well, and it's a pretty amazing little recorder with a lot of possibilities.

I've made some great 'live/documentation' recordings using the DR-05 with the Tascam microphone I bought at the time (can't remember the number without going to look for it... it's got a choice of 90 or 120 degree mic pickup on it).

Anyways, it sounds great, and the DR-05 is very rugged.

Got me thinking....I should speed up my recorder and I might sound better on fast tunes!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Why are you recording into a standalone recorder when you have a 2i2?

The YouTube audio file goes into your DAW, with whatever click it covers with. Microphone goes into 2i2, even if that means using audio out from your tascam. Audio records in sync with click track while you listen to the click.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:18 am Why are you recording into a standalone recorder when you have a 2i2?

The YouTube audio file goes into your DAW, with whatever click it covers with. Microphone goes into 2i2, even if that means using audio out from your tascam. Audio records in sync with click track while you listen to the click.
Agree, however I'm recording video with audio to link to the track when it marries up in the video editor. At my low level of skill it makes syncing them easier than trying to upload the video with audio then muting the audio. Part of the issue is my computer is one one side of the room and my recording area is on the other side. Also saves me from having to hook up the microphone.
Dave

1982 King 607F with 13CL
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1957 Besson 10-10
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

For syncing audio to video, just use a clapper or just clap your hands (see video below) once your camera is recording and your audio interface is recording audio. Then you strip the video camera audio track in your video editor, and replace it with your DAW recorded track, lining up the initial short spike in the waveform with your clapping action on screen. Voila!

You can try longer cables to connect your recording area to your pc. Either a longer usb for the interface or audio cables for the mics.

I think the playback speed culprit is sample rate mismatch. You recorded at 48khz or higher, and someone added it to a 44.1khz project, and neglected to downsample it.

It could also be that your Tascam is set to save space or set to a different playback speed. Often for print interviews, the reporter would use this function and audio would be recorded over less space in the physical tape so it would sound fast when played back. I have no idea if there is a digital equivalent. I know the tascam does let you vary the playback speed, though. Interested to know what the cause was!

Clap:

walldaja

Post by walldaja »

The TASCAM was simply set to play back at 1.2 times the recording speed. Once that was corrected there was no problem.

Biggest drawback for me using the computer / 2i2 to record is having to click the mouse to begin the process. The problem is the logistics of where the mouse is located and room to play. Works great for cornet / trumpet but too tight for trombone.
Dave

1982 King 607F with 13CL
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1957 Besson 10-10

Return to “Technology”