Speakers loud enough to play along with

Elow

Speakers loud enough to play along with

Post by Elow »

Since i haven’t play with anyone in a while, ive been using my little bose speaker. And it sounds great and get can pretty loud, but not loud enough to where it feels like i’m really playing with someone. I’m wondering if anyone has something like that. I’m sure there’s something out there that will do what i want, but i’m not looking to spend $1000.
sacfxdx

Re: Speakers loud enough to play along with

Post by sacfxdx »

I bought one of these. Then bought a second one to have stereo. 3 inputs so you can get right and left out of only one. Also a 3.5 mm jack for audio.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-PA/ ... 50&index=1
Steve
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Any decent pair of bookshelf speakers will get you there. I have an Insignia set (Best Buy’s house brand) that does the job perfectly - they’re normally connected to my turntable. Make sure you pick a powered/active pair if you don’t also want to buy a power amp.

Alternatively, the Kustom speaker that sacfxdx is also fantastic for the price - I have one to use as a vocal amp and mini PA on gigs and it sounds ace.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
afugate

Post by afugate »

sacfxdx wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 am I bought one of these. Then bought a second one to have stereo. 3 inputs so you can get right and left out of only one. Also a 3.5 mm jack for audio.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-PA/ ... 50&index=1
This, and an inexpensive speaker stand. Optional, but recommended.

--Andy in OKC
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

See post below (accidentally double posted)...
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

This is a bit more expensive, but it's a very sophisticated unit that can be found used on eBay for around $200. Wi-Fi, digital and analog inputs, remote control, and loud enough for a house party: https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/collecti ... eepbluesky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Splendour

Post by Splendour »

The cheap option I've been using during lockdown is the W-King 50W bluetooth speaker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KC136DZ/

Even going full blast on bass trombone it provides enough sound to be clearly audible.

Not quite up to Bose standards but a lot better then it's price implies, I've run it at high volume for 6+ hours on a single battery charge so also useful if you're banished to the shed to practice :)

Also useful for outdoor gatherings now we're allowed them again on a small scale.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I don’t have issues with my JBL flip, but it sounds like you might be looking for something a little beefier than that. You might want to invest in some monitor speakers or even a nice 2.1 computer speaker setup.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
AlexMcMahon

Post by AlexMcMahon »

I have a Roland Cube CM-30 that I LOVE. It has multiple channel inputs with XLR, 1/4 in and RCA connections, stereo link to run a pair, and is super LOUD. I got it when it was around $200, but it looks like it’s around $250 now. I use it on my computer and as monitor for my mixing board. Great amp with plenty of volume.

Another idea is a small piano amp like a Roland KC-50 or 150. I’ve found them used for 100-250 depending on condition and size. Same as above, multiple ports for mics and lines in. Bigger footprint, but way more power and functionality.

Slap a Bluetooth receiver to anything and go wireless from your phone, tablet or computer.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Earbuds would be loud enough no matter what.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

baileyman wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 pm Earbuds would be loud enough no matter what.
Depends on the isolation they provide. Not everything will work, especially safely.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

baileyman wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 pm Earbuds would be loud enough no matter what.
I’ve got airpods and even with their transparency mode it feels weird to play with.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Guitar Amp
Elow

Post by Elow »

bigbandbone wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 am Guitar Amp
I tried that with a guitar amp and a bass amp and it sounds very thin. The quality of sound was just terrible on both but especially the guitar amp. I could mess around with the settings but i can’t imagine it would sound much better.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Try this from AMAZON. THere are many of them available there. Its a blue tooth streaming adapter. You can send music from any Bluetooth enabled device (smart phone, tablet etc) to your home stereo system, or what ever, and get great sound and volume. I use one on my home stereo so I can send rhythm tracks from iReal Pro on my tablet or smart phone to practice tunes with. It works flawlessly, and costs under $30.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Sorry - here's the link to one of these Bluetooth adapters on AMAZON:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... ag=mh0b-20
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Harpcat

Post by Harpcat »

I like to use a powered PA speaker. Mine is a 10 inch. These move a lot of air and emulate playing with a band better than my home stereo speakers.

Return to “Technology”