Microphone positioning

MStarke

Microphone positioning

Post by MStarke »

Hi all,

interesting source for microphone positioning for trombone and other instruments:
http://soundmedia.jp/nuaudk/
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
robcat2075

Re: Microphone positioning

Post by robcat2075 »

How interesting!

The dry sound from the mic behind the Horn player resembles the god-awful Horn sound that was all over studio commercial music recordings in the 70s.

But I'm also reminded of a demonstration by one of my college teachers. He played a recording of an orchestral work that had been recorded with just one mic... AKA "Mercury Living Presence". It wasn't even stereo!

Then he played a recording of the same work, the same orchestra, same conductor even, but recorded a decade+ later with every section and every soloist separately mic'd into a mixing board.

Everything about the one-mic version sounded better, the soloists were clearer, the ensembles were more unified, the ff sounded more ff and the pp sounded more pp even though in decibels that probably wasn't true.

It had "presence".

After you heard the one-mic version, the multi-mic version sounded hopelessly muddy and lifeless.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I think it was Creed Taylor who recommended 18" in front but just off axis to avoid the high frequency buzzy spitty noises.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

But I'm also reminded of a demonstration by one of my college teachers. He played a recording of an orchestral work that had been recorded with just one mic... AKA "Mercury Living Presence". It wasn't even stereo!

The Mercury recordings are examples of the best recordings around. Using simple mike setups, great halls to record in, and great musicians, they captured amazing recordings, that rival or better most digital stuff. For example, Frederick Fennel's Wind Ensemble recordings.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

PhilTrombone wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:58 am

The Mercury recordings are examples of the best recordings around. Using simple mike setups, great halls to record in, and great musicians, they captured amazing recordings, that rival or better most digital stuff. For example, Frederick Fennel's Wind Ensemble recordings.
True! Lots of excellent performances, recorded in both mono (one microphone) and stereo (only two mics, centered, slightly above and in front of the orchestra). A revolution in its time. :good:

Return to “Technology”