Notation for ipad

Savio

Notation for ipad

Post by Savio »

Wonder what app you use for writing music on the iPad pro? I have forescore for reading but unsure what app for writing a score. I see there is a lot to choose in app store. Notion is one that looks promising. I have Apple pencil 2.
Leif
Kbiggs

Re: Notation for ipad

Post by Kbiggs »

I’ve been using Notion for my iPad for almost one year now. I really like it. It’s graphic based, and I find it easy to use.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

+1 for Notion. I use it all the time with my students. You can also export from it directly into Forescore, which is extremely helpful.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Look at StaffPad.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Up until this year, Notion was your only solid option for iPad, as StaffPad was exclusive to Windows. But this March StaffPad came out on iPad, and is reportedly amazing. Both are probably good choices.

Your best resource for reviews and demos is the scoring notes blog.

StaffPad review: https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/staffpad-for-ipad/
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Savio

Post by Savio »

Staffpad isn't exactly cheep, but good reviews. I bought the Notion. Trying to figure it out. Seems ok, but the help file could have been better.
Leif
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Yes, the Help documentation is poor. A lot of things you have to figure out through trial and error. Still, you can do a lot with this inexpensive app.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Savio

Post by Savio »

Kbiggs wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:09 am Yes, the Help documentation is poor. A lot of things you have to figure out through trial and error. Still, you can do a lot with this inexpensive app.
Yes, after trying some other apps and seeing videos on youtube I found the Notion to suit me best. And it recognize handwriting well. Today I tried to connect my Zoom Q4n recorder to the iPad pro and it was not easy. But finally found it out. It needs a powered usb C adapter. I bought one and at first it didnt work and could not understand why. Then I could see the adapter had many ports and one was the the same as the iPad charging port it self. I put the iPad charger into that port. And the Zoom to one of the usb ports in the adapter that suddenly lights up. Voila- the Zoom was recognized as a mic in garageband!
Its a big surprise every time I make this new technology work :amazed: its not often though.....

Leif
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Savio wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:07 am
Kbiggs wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:09 am Yes, the Help documentation is poor. A lot of things you have to figure out through trial and error. Still, you can do a lot with this inexpensive app.
Yes, after trying some other apps and seeing videos on youtube I found the Notion to suit me best. And it recognize handwriting well. Today I tried to connect my Zoom Q4n recorder to the iPad pro and it was not easy. But finally found it out. It needs a powered usb C adapter. I bought one and at first it didnt work and could not understand why. Then I could see the adapter had many ports and one was the the same as the iPad charging port it self. I put the iPad charger into that port. And the Zoom to one of the usb ports in the adapter that suddenly lights up. Voila- the Zoom was recognized as a mic in garageband!
Its a big surprise every time I make this new technology work :amazed: its not often though.....

Leif
Leif,

Thanks for being the guinea pig! I haven’t yet tried connecting anything, not even my old MIDI keyboard. I’ve been handwriting and editing smaller chamber pieces. I now have a shopping list!
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Elow

Post by Elow »

Is notion good without a pen? I’ll get one eventually, but they’re pricey
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Any iPad notation app is significantly improved by the Apple Pencil. It is pricey, but the difference in accuracy is well worth it (if this is the kind of thing you do a lot of). In addition to working with Notion and/or StaffPad, it also works excellently annotating in ForScore - very probably the best digital score reader out there for any device.

From ScoringNotes.com: "I cannot overstate the importance of the Apple Pencil to my workflow. Yes, it is very expensive. However, the functionality of an active stylus allows for extremely low-latency input, pressure and tilt sensitivity, and most importantly, palm rejection (allowing you to rest your hand on the screen as you write, just like on paper). There are no third-party styluses that can even come close to matching it for its functionality."
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C

Return to “Technology”