Shure microphones

BflatBass

Shure microphones

Post by BflatBass »

As it turns out I'm in need of a new microphone for home recording. I was using a borrowed Shure SM57 that I was happy with. I especially liked how room acoustics didn't affect recording quality with this mic and I didn't mind keeping the mic close to the bell during recording.
Also my new mic has to be analog with either an XLR or 1/4" plug.
I was thinking about purchasing another SM57 then noticed Shure makes another less expensive cardioid mic the PGA57. Has anyone had experience with this mic? Some say it is Shure's "entry level" cardioid mic. So then it's just made with lower quality components? My question is if the recording quality is equivalent to the SM57 then why pay more? I don't need a really durable mic as far as handling. Just something that will last a few years and has good sound quality.
Any input would be helpful.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
JohnL

Re: Shure microphones

Post by JohnL »

You'll find a lot of comparisons online between the SM-series and the PG/PGA-series. Consensus is go with the SM if you can afford it.

SM57's are built like tanks; you'll find videos of people doing terrible things to SM58's (the SM57's sibling) and the mic just keeps on working.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

No experience with the PGA57, but I have experience with the Shure PGA clip on mic. Not nearly as good.

If you can afford a 57 I always recommend this bundle from Guitar Center. You can't beat it.

$110 for SM57/mic stand/xlr cable

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure/SM57 ... 57&index=3

And for a difference of $40-50, you'll be happy you purchased the SM57 over the PGA57 in a few years. Maybe sooner
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

When I had a PA for my big band I used nothing but SM57s for the instruments and SM58s for the vocalists. I bought all mine used from Craigslist and other places like that. Beware of new counterfeits, though, especially on eBay. If it's new and priced too good to be true, it usually is. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to tell the difference if get the chance to buy in person.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

I've personally never been a fan of Shure, but I know a lot of people who LOVE them. I personally like SE electronics, which are an incredible brand of microphone, and recently have come to like Maono as a solid budget option. Luckily there are lots of comparison videos on YT. Best of luck finding what works for you!
Last edited by BrianJohnston on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

JLivi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:39 pm No experience with the PGA57, but I have experience with the Shure PGA clip on mic. Not nearly as good.

If you can afford a 57 I always recommend this bundle from Guitar Center. You can't beat it.

$110 for SM57/mic stand/xlr cable

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure/SM57 ... 57&index=3

And for a difference of $40-50, you'll be happy you purchased the SM57 over the PGA57 in a few years. Maybe sooner
That is a good deal :good:
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I have a Shure Beta 57A and I can't be more happy, if you can spend the extra $20 or so for it.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Sonofslyde

Post by Sonofslyde »

BflatBass wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:11 pm As it turns out I'm in need of a new microphone for home recording. I was using a borrowed Shure SM57 that I was happy with. I especially liked how room acoustics didn't affect recording quality with this mic and I didn't mind keeping the mic close to the bell during recording.
Also my new mic has to be analog with either an XLR or 1/4" plug.
I was thinking about purchasing another SM57 then noticed Shure makes another less expensive cardioid mic the PGA57. Has anyone had experience with this mic? Some say it is Shure's "entry level" cardioid mic. So then it's just made with lower quality components? My question is if the recording quality is equivalent to the SM57 then why pay more? I don't need a really durable mic as far as handling. Just something that will last a few years and has good sound quality.
Any input would be helpful.

Cheers,
Robert
Hi Robert,

I used the Shure SM57 live in stage for years. One of the best overall mics for live stage performance in my opinion. For Recording I think for the RODE NT1 works great for vocals and vocal layering. It’s affordable and gives superb quality sounding recordings for beginning to advanced vocalists.
:bassclef:

Return to “Technology”