Delightful Quintet

Pictures, video, etc.
VJOFan

Delightful Quintet

Post by VJOFan »

Just some very crisp and precise playing by some young musicians. I might prefer the two trombone quintet set up.

CalgaryTbone

Re: Delightful Quintet

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I ran across this a while ago too. Nice group, and good arrangement. You don't see quintets with Bass Trombone as often as you used to, but my friend John Rojak has done well for himself playing in the American Brass Quintet for many years. When I was in high school, in addition to the American Brass, I remember the Annapolis Brass Quintet was out there with some recordings and touring. Some rep. doesn't work quite as well, but I like the early music transcriptions and other lighter music with a Bass Trombone on the bottom. Really, either way, if the players are good, a Tuba or a Bass Trombone are just as viable.

Jim Scott
BGuttman

Re: Delightful Quintet

Post by BGuttman »

Different rep seems to work with different instruments on the bottom. I used to play bass trombone and tuba (an F-tuba) in quintet. The smaller tuba was actually a better bottom instrument than a CC or BBb since it wasn't quite as "boomy" and blended better with the higher voices. For Pezel and other Renaissance pieces the bass trombone was in its element.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Media”