Which famous people play trombone on the side?

Pictures, video, etc.
DakoJack

Which famous people play trombone on the side?

Post by DakoJack »

New Pod out about some famous people who play the trombone on the side or in pop culture. Who are some famous people you know of who also play trombone?
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1169810/4497 ... GmyuBXRSWs
BGuttman

Re: Which famous people play trombone on the side?

Post by BGuttman »

We had a topic like this on the old TTF (sadly, it's not in our archive).

I haven't had a chance to check out your podcast, but I'm sure you included Jonathan Frakes (played Lt. Riker on Star Trek) who occasionally blew a few notes in an episode or had his part covered by Bill Watrous. Someone you probably never heard of because you are too young was TV personality Hugh Downs. Composers Henry Fillmore and Gustav Holst.

Maybe later I'll get a chance to listen to your podcast (the intro turned me off -- sorry).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Finetales

Post by Finetales »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 pmComposers Henry Fillmore and Gustav Holst.
Elgar too, but he was notoriously bad at it!
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 pm We had a topic like this on the old TTF (sadly, it's not in our archive).

I haven't had a chance to check out your podcast, but I'm sure you included Jonathan Frakes (played Lt. Riker on Star Trek) who occasionally blew a few notes in an episode or had his part covered by Bill Watrous. Someone you probably never heard of because you are too young was TV personality Hugh Downs. Composers Henry Fillmore and Gustav Holst.

Maybe later I'll get a chance to listen to your podcast (the intro turned me off -- sorry).
Ya not familiar with Hugh Downs I'll check him out. And ya I put Frakes in there I didn't know till I did this that when ever he sounds super good its BIll Watrous playing. Just out of curiosity what turned you off about the intro was it the music or our introduction?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Conrad Janis, longtime character actor most remembered for playing Mindy's father on Mork and Mindy.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

DakoJack wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:04 pm ...
Ya not familiar with Hugh Downs I'll check him out. And ya I put Frakes in there I didn't know till I did this that when ever he sounds super good its BIll Watrous playing. Just out of curiosity what turned you off about the intro was it the music or our introduction?
I'm not into notey solos. Sorry.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Andy Griffith. Used to play in Jeff Reynold’s Moravian Trombone choir.

Fridge
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The actor Jimmy Stewart told a funny story.

He played Glenn Miller in "The Glenn Miller Story". In order to make the trombone playing scenes look better he took 6 months of trombone lessons. In the end they actually welded a quarter into the mouthpiece because whenever he actually played it was awful :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I think hugh laurie (Dr. House) played the trombone a million years ago.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Richard Wright a founding member, keyboardist, and vocalist in Pink Floyd, according to a large Pink Floyd exhibition at the Victoria and Albert museum I attended in 2017.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I don't think mentioned yet:

Austin Watson (born September 4, 1986), is an American professional wrestler. He is currently signed to WWE, where he performs on the SmackDown brand under the ring name Xavier Woods.

I happened to see him while flipping through channels... In the ring with a P-Bone.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Cindi Lauper
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Kdanielsen wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:22 pm I think hugh laurie (Dr. House) played the trombone a million years ago.
He “played” the trombone in a couple of episodes of the Jeeves and Wooster series on BBC. If you look closely, however, it looks like he’s playing on a trumpet or an alto horn size mouthpiece. I’m not sure that REALLY counts as playing the trombone... :clever:
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:05 pm
Kdanielsen wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:22 pm I think hugh laurie (Dr. House) played the trombone a million years ago.
He “played” the trombone in a couple of episodes of the Jeeves and Wooster series on BBC. If you look closely, however, it looks like he’s playing on a trumpet or an alto horn size mouthpiece. I’m not sure that REALLY counts as playing the trombone... :clever:
That's funny because I can picture him playing it without ever seeing those episodes.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

JohnL wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 pm Conrad Janis, longtime character actor most remembered for playing Mindy's father on Mork and Mindy.
When I was a student in NYC, I was at Giardinelli's one day, trying some horns or mouthpieces. Conrad was in the next try-out room. He came by to say hi - very nice guy! I was a fan of the show, and it was on the air in those days.

He was definitely a "Dixieland" player - lot's of sizzle in his sound, coming through the walls of those small try-out rooms!

Jim Scott
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:05 pm

An amazing true musician in any event. His two albums are two of my favorites. Especially his St. James Infirmary - pulls off one of the slowest tempos/build-ups on that I have heard.

Cheers
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

John Suchet in UK, he was a prime time news anchor and journalist, and has a a long running radio programme on UK national radio, as well as authoring several books about musicians. ( And brother of David Suchet of Poirot fame)
Last edited by StephenK on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

Jerry Colonna started his career as a bone player.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8307308 ... Way/images
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Quasi- related Jonathan Frakes update:

Cheers
bellend

Post by bellend »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:51 pm
JohnL wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 pm Conrad Janis, longtime character actor most remembered for playing Mindy's father on Mork and Mindy.
When I was a student in NYC, I was at Giardinelli's one day, trying some horns or mouthpieces. Conrad was in the next try-out room. He came by to say hi - very nice guy! I was a fan of the show, and it was on the air in those days.

He was definitely a "Dixieland" player - lot's of sizzle in his sound, coming through the walls of those small try-out rooms!

Jim Scott
I met Conrad when I was depping on the QE2 a million years ago and would second what a nice guy he was :good:

Also , yes deffo a Dixie type player, Conn 6H/5H from memory.

BellEnd

Return to “Media”