New ¡Sacabuche! CD

Pictures, video, etc.
LeTromboniste

New ¡Sacabuche! CD

Post by LeTromboniste »

Hi all!

With the risk of tooting my own horn a bit here, I thought some here might be interested to know there's a new CD featuring sackbuts coming out this week (I believe official release is Friday 16. April, although it can be preordered on most of the usual music platforms, some of which have previews available) from the Canadian-American early music ensemble ¡Sacabuche! led by Linda Pearse. The trombonists on the CD are Linda Pearse (bass), Catherine Motuz (alto and tenor), Peter Christensen and myself (tenor). We recorded this almost two years ago already, it's been a long wait but I'm thrilled that it is finally coming out, and quite pleased with the results. It includes 18 pieces of music from the 17th century related with the Habsburg dynasty in Austria and Bohemia. Lots of really cool pieces (including some modern premieres) featuring various combinations of violins, cornetts, trombones and a contralto (the soloist Vicki St. Pierre has a fantastic voice that works perfectly with trombones).

Hidden Treasures - Seventeenth-Century Music of Habsburg and Bohemia
¡Sacabuche!
ATMA Classique
Last edited by LeTromboniste on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
LeTromboniste

Re: New ¡Sacabuche! CD

Post by LeTromboniste »

Officially out!

As a preview, here is the first track, Giovanni Felice Sances' pretty glorious motet O dulce nomen Jesu, performed here with solo alto, four trombones, theorbo and organ:

Maximilien Brisson
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

congrats- this is lovely!
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Beautiful! Thanks for posting!

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Maximilien,

This is wonderful. What instruments were you four trombonists playing? Photos / descriptions?

They sound terrific - to my untrained ears, quite authentic.

Congratulations! :good:
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:16 pm What instruments were you four trombonists playing? Photos / descriptions?
Catherine, Peter and I all play Egger tenors after Hainlein, Linda plays a Meinl bass after Oller. Those are all very well made instruments and essentially the Conn 88 and Bach 50 of the sackbut scene in terms of how ubiquitous they are; they are fairly true to the originals they are based on (with some modern compromises), with the original dimensions accurately followed, paper-thin bells with kranz, lightweight bell section assembly that isn't rigid, and overall a lot of the making process using historical techniques. Not sure about the specs on the Meinl bass; the Egger tenors have 10.5/11mm bore (.413"/.433") and 98mm bells (3.85").

Maximilien Brisson
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I like that the motet's title is "O Sweet Jesus". Sounds like a Southern American swear :tongue: The performance was wonderful

I'm delighted that Catherine is still active. I think she was on the old OTJ Forum.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

LeTromboniste wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 pm
Posaunus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:16 pm What instruments were you four trombonists playing? Photos / descriptions?
Catherine, Peter and I all play Egger tenors after Hainlein, Linda plays a Meinl bass after Oller. Those are all very well made instruments and essentially the Conn 88 and Bach 50 of the sackbut scene in terms of how ubiquitous they are; they are fairly true to the originals they are based on (with some modern compromises), with the original dimensions accurately followed, paper-thin bells with kranz, lightweight bell section assembly that isn't rigid, and overall a lot of the making process using historical techniques. Not sure about the specs on the Meinl bass; the Egger tenors have 10.5/11mm bore (.413"/.433") and 98mm bells (3.85").
Not too surprising that they look as beautiful as they sound.

These recordings and photos really make me want to take up the sackbut again, but it's been too many years (decades) since - and there's no place to perform around here.

Thanks, Maximilien.
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

This was quite beautiful to hear on a Friday morning. :)

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the new album!
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I finally got around to listening to this track. Beautiful.

Just curious about the pic on the cover: does this illustrate the 1618 Defenestration of Prague?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm I finally got around to listening to this track. Beautiful.

Just curious about the pic on the cover: does this illustrate the 1618 Defenestration of Prague?
Yes!
Maximilien Brisson
silverslideman

Post by silverslideman »

Super track, congratulations!
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

ATM Classique has made the CD booklet available as a PDF. All you have to do is search for the CD info Maximilian included in his original post and the link will come up.

The notes are almost as good as the performances :)

Return to “Media”