Whats going on here?

Pictures, video, etc.
Elow

Whats going on here?

Post by Elow »

The lowest and highest ones sound fishy...
robcat2075

Re: Whats going on here?

Post by robcat2075 »

After a bit of testing in Audacity... the top two sound like pitch-altered versions of the high Bb

The bottom one sounds like a pedal Bb with a copy of it pitch-altered an octave lower and mixed in with the regular one.

Of course I'm not alleging that he did that!

I'm merely saying it sounds like that.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I mean, I hope he's trying to pass it off as a joke. We'll put it that way.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That guy always looks stoned out of his gourd. It's gotta be a joke, and if it's not, then he's actually stoned. I have never heard anyone play a Bb0 on a tenor trombone, and I somehow don't think it's possible without some sort of modified mouthpiece. Before anyone says "no wait you can false tone it", I don't consider the normal everyday false tones people do to be real notes that actually resonate on a straight tenor either. Bb0? You're crazy!

Though possible, we didn't hear him play Bb5 or Bb6 either in this video, only the computer.

I do like the "shoot the notes out of the horn" technique he's doing, bobbing like that.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:28 pm That guy always looks stoned out of his gourd. It's gotta be a joke, and if it's not, then he's actually stoned. I have never heard anyone play a Bb0 on a tenor trombone, and I somehow don't think it's possible without some sort of modified mouthpiece. Before anyone says "no wait you can false tone it", I don't consider the normal everyday false tones people do to be real notes that actually resonate on a straight tenor either. Bb0? You're crazy!

Though possible, we didn't hear him play Bb5 or Bb6 either in this video, only the computer.

I do like the "shoot the notes out of the horn" technique he's doing, bobbing like that.
Really not sure this guy is actually playing it here (note is way too short to actually evaluate based on the sound quality but hearing the top Bbs that sound kinda fake, the bottom could well also be fake) but I've absolutely heard my first teacher play a Bb0 on my tenor after he demonstrated it on his bass and I said something like "can that only be done on bass?"
IIRC he played double pedals with only one lip.

Not that I can play it, but I don't think Bb0 is the same as a false tone. From my admittedly limited understanding it's more akin to pedal notes, which also are not just normal notes, acoustically speaking. Pedal notes have very little to no resonance on the fundamental. The fundamental is not actually on a partial of the horn, but all the overtones line up which forces the horn to still resonate. But a lot of the perceived fundamental is actually psychoacoustic. I think double pedals are the same phenomenon but are harder because the fundamental is obviously insanely slow vibrating and hard to generate, and also because the horn is in that case not truly resonating on either of the first two harmonics, only from the third harmonic and up.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

The double pedal sorta resonates in 2nd, worth a try. The best I've ever heard is a recording of Abe Lincoln playing Wabash Blues. It rips like crazy. And further below. And the guy had great command of high F to double Bb, also ripping. He was in the LA studios and I think some Disney bands. Some guys here still remember him. Anyway, Paul's double pedal and double highs sound nothing like Abe's. And Paul does tend toward humor...
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

here's what a real version sounds like (not completely polished but also not manipulated!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDUWL7bVsxc
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org

Return to “Media”