Great JJ concert

Pictures, video, etc.
Elow

Great JJ concert

Post by Elow »

Just stumbled across this, looks like hes on an old yamaha? Anyone know about that?
Redthunder

Re: Great JJ concert

Post by Redthunder »

YSL691 .508 bore.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

It wasn´t old at the time 1993. Yes he was playing Yamaha at that time. Fantastic horn actually.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Redthunder wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:13 pm YSL691 .508 bore.
Interesting. I didn't know Yamaha made a .508 until YSL-891Z which I guess is the newest generation of that horn.
JJ had a great sound on the King too, I guess he sounded great on anything.

/Tom
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

The 691, great 508 horn and came with a choice of leadpipes
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

I played a 691 for a while... Until it was stolen about a year before this concert... A very nice horn.

Listening to the whole band, I love how Rene Rosnes comps behind JJ's solo. She really gets his rhythmic sense and adds to that constantly swinging syncopation that drives his solos.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Didn't he switch to the Yamaha because he called King / UMI one day to discuss getting a new 3B to replace one that wasn't working too well anymore, and the guy on the phone was like "what's a JJ?". Even though he was on their list of artists who should probably just get whatever model they play for free every few years.

Yamaha was like, "don't worry bro, we know who you are. You can play our trombone for free"
Last edited by harrisonreed on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview with JJ where he said that he was impressed with the high range on the Yamaha, and that had something to do with his switch. I know that I heard him live playing that Yamaha, and he played some great burning high "F's" that night. I think Jimmy Pankow from Chicago plays that same horn, also switching from the King 3B.

Jim Scott

Return to “Media”