J.S. Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue for Brass Quintet, arranged by Andrew Meronek

Pictures, video, etc.
AndrewMeronek

J.S. Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue for Brass Quintet, arranged by Andrew Meronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I wrote this last year, and finished it just right when the pandemic hit. So, I never got a chance to read through this with a brass quintet I was playing with at the time. Frustrating, as I put in a lot of work and I think it turned out pretty nice.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
hyperbolica

Re: J.S. Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue for Brass Quintet, arranged by Andrew Meronek

Post by hyperbolica »

Very nice. Who arranged the version Empire Brass played? This has to be my favorite Bach for brass. Will you publish this?
AndrewMeronek

Re: J.S. Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue for Brass Quintet, arranged by Andrew Meronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

hyperbolica wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:27 pm Very nice. Who arranged the version Empire Brass played? This has to be my favorite Bach for brass. Will you publish this?
Offhand, I don't know wrote wrote their arrangement. I did see that the Canadian Brass version used E-flat trumpets. So at least in that sense I wanted to give it a different take. There's also a few other arrangements that only use part of the piece. I wanted to get in the whole thing.
Last edited by AndrewMeronek on Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Thelonious Monk
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

As far as publishing, I've never had much luck getting any publisher to pay attention. I'm not a famous composer or arranger and I haven't written for famous enough people.

- Thelonious Monk
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Andrew,

Masterful. Excellent arrangement. :good:

I'd love to try playing it, but my current quintet isn't up to it. :weep:

But perhaps you could at least copyright and sell the arrangement to a few TromboneChatters. :idk:
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:00 pm As far as publishing, I've never had much luck getting any publisher to pay attention. I'm not a famous composer or arranger and I haven't written for famous enough people.
Just publish it yourself, and sell through your own website and forums like this
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:51 pm Andrew,

Masterful. Excellent arrangement. :good:

I'd love to try playing it, but my current quintet isn't up to it. :weep:

But perhaps you could at least copyright and sell the arrangement to a few TromboneChatters. :idk:
Thank you for the kind words. 8-)

Technically, copyright exists the moment I create it. Typically, people say "publishing" to mean getting a contract with some distributor like JW Pepper.

- Thelonious Monk
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Let us know how much you want for it ?
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Vegasbound wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:34 am Let us know how much you want for it ?
Looks like at some point I put it in this list:

https://andrewmeronek.com/musical-works ... ensembles/

- Thelonious Monk
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I'd be interested in purchasing it too! Nice arrangement!

Jim Scott
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Have you tried submitting arrangements to Gordon Cherry or Warwick Music for publications?
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I will be very interested in purchasing your work myself. It's an excellent arrangement, and the guys I play with can pull it off. I'll bookmark your site. Congratulations!
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:52 pm Have you tried submitting arrangements to Gordon Cherry or Warwick Music for publications?
Not in a long while.

Maybe as there are several very kind comments here, it might be worth trying with this arrangement? Still, I'm skeptical. As the saying goes, music is not a meritocracy.

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Media”