Pictures, video, etc.
Burgerbob

Carbon fiber bass slide- sound test

Post by Burgerbob »

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Re: Carbon fiber bass slide- sound test

Post by harrisonreed »

You sound good man. Is that just the phone mic?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:16 pm You sound good man. Is that just the phone mic?
Yup, not worth it to set up the SM57 just for this. Thanks!
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

Aidan,
Have you every used the fourier transform tools in something like Audacity to compare the "far end" of these interesting instrument variations?
Audacity in particular lets you export the resulting analysis. You can then overlay two of them in a spreadsheet. Very much limited by the quality of analog to digital converter used, but even with a garden-variety laptop mic input the results are pretty interesting.

If you HAVE tried such a thing, it also might be interesting to use one of the Korg clip-on tuning mics on the water key and compare measurements from there. That shouldn't give a good clue about what comes out the far end, but it MIGHT show interesting differences for responsiveness and near-field feedback.

I gotta say, I am SUPER impressed at your growth since school days, and continued growth as you practice the profession.

Nice video!

Dave
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Ain’t nothing wrong with that slide! Sounds great to me, nice job.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Sounds like a bass trombone!

Aside from the lesser mass does it feel any different to play? Is anything harder or easier?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Sounds great. Would it be possible to get a side by side comparison with a brass slide?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I got the slide 15 minutes before work, so I just took it in and tried it there. This video is from that night afterwards. Haven't had much time yet! Playing tenor today, of course... At work it felt great, very quick response, amazing low range, amazing high range, very easy.

I will definitely be testing it a/b with brass slides in a video. I didn't think about the visual representation of that as well, I'll look into it!

I had my wife do a blind sound test on a couple snippets vs the dual bore brass Edwards slide this bell came with (this one is a single bore). She chose the carbon slide both times. I have a couple more singles I could test it against as well.

Right now the action is quite bad. I think it's the inners- when I put this outer on a beater 50 slide I just got, the action is immediately better. Despite the action not being great (mostly around 2nd-4th), it's perfectly usable because it's so light. It might even be a good thing since it would be so easy to lose!

As with Pbone, so far it works best if the slide is clean and dry. I tried some yamasnot and it felt god awful.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

A test you may not expect:

Return to “Media”