Fort Wayne Philharmonic
norbie2018

Re: My take on Bolero w/ orchestra

Post by norbie2018 »

Nice playing.
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

Very nice. Are there any recordings of what Revelle originally intended to be played on a small bore tenor trombone rather than the large bore trombones of the present?
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Jimprindle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:40 pm Very nice. Are there any recordings of what Revelle originally intended to be played on a small bore tenor trombone rather than the large bore trombones of the present?
There are lots of them. If it's any help, I used a MUCH smaller mouthpiece on my Large bore for this solo.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Jimprindle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:40 pm Very nice. Are there any recordings of what Revelle originally intended to be played on a small bore tenor trombone rather than the large bore trombones of the present?
There's actually a recording of it conducted by Ravel.

The glissandi are, expectedly, not played where they're written in the printed editions, but were at the player's discretion.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Retrobone

Post by Retrobone »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 am
There's actually a recording of it conducted by Ravel.

The glissandi are, expectedly, not played where they're written in the printed editions, but were at the player's discretion.
By repute it was Andre Lafosse who played the solo on that recording, and he didn't like glissandi (if we are to believe his famous method)! He played it also in the first ever recording conducted by Piero Coppola with exactly the same glisses and rhythmic style. It was recorded 3 days earlier than Ravels own, which may have actually been conducted by Albert Wolff because Ravel couldn't manage to keep the tempo.

Both recordings easy to find on Youtube
Tim Dowling
Principal trombonist, Residentie Orchestra, The Hague

Return to “Media”