New Open-Wrap Horns in Movies Replicating Era's Prior to the 1960's

Pictures, video, etc.
CarlVicVogel

New Open-Wrap Horns in Movies Replicating Era's Prior to the 1960's

Post by CarlVicVogel »

Hi All

On Netflix: I was amused that a jazz band trombonist shown playing at a Roaring 20's flapper party using a shiny, new open-wrap horn such as a Bach 36BO, etc. The show is on Netflix, called "Archive 81", and was produced in 2021. I think it is espisode #8.

There was a another show where I also saw a new open-wrap horn being used in a older historical period, but I forget it now.

I am surprised that trombone players would know better than to show up for a period movie with a modern-design horn.

Anyway, I just find it amusing. If you spot one...add it to this list.

Thanks

Carl Vic Vogel
Bach two 42BO's (silver & lacquer)
Bach LT16M (inspired by Bill Watrous)
Holton TR-181 Bass
King 3B
Yamaha 354 Tenor (early production)
Yamaha 321 Euphonium
Conn Baritone (really friggin' old) :lol:
Kdanielsen

Re: New Open-Wrap Horns in Movies Replicating Era's Prior to the 1960's

Post by Kdanielsen »

There is someone wearing a mask in a shot of the orchestra in HBO’s “The Gilded Age”

Oh well
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Most of the time these sidelining gigs are given with very little info- just "trombone player wanted" and the person chosen shows up with what they have. Not always players either. With the time and personnel constraints, no one is checking for accuracy that degree, sadly.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CarlVicVogel

Post by CarlVicVogel »

Thanks Burgerbob!

Of course, we do not need "Trombone Police" in Hollywood...but it's still fun to notice them!

Funny, I see the same issue with older cars in period pieces...too new for the year being replicated.

Carl
Bach two 42BO's (silver & lacquer)
Bach LT16M (inspired by Bill Watrous)
Holton TR-181 Bass
King 3B
Yamaha 354 Tenor (early production)
Yamaha 321 Euphonium
Conn Baritone (really friggin' old) :lol:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Have no fear that if I get the call, it will be the right horn... as long as everyone is satisfied with something in my stable :)
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

The first one of these instances that I can remember was in “Mona Lisa Smile.” I haven’t watched it in a long time, but It is one of my wife’s favorite movies. There’s a scene that includes a dance band…I think one of the players has an axial valve, but I might be misremembering slightly.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

The average viewer these days doesn't have a clue about historical accuracy unless they are historical film students or aficionados . After all, if it wasn't within their lifetimes, then it probably didn't happen anyway. Oops.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I think there is a CL2000 in Amadeus too
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Anachronistic props are quite common; it's just that you need to have a fair knowledge of that particular field to notice. Clothing, firearms, automobiles, boats, timepieces....

Sometimes the correct item just can't be had (at least not for a price that won't break the budget), so you get something that's kinda close and maybe dress it up a bit to make make the resemblance a little stronger.

Me, I look at it from the other direction; I take a little bit of joy any time I see where someone actually did their homework and went to the trouble to it right.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I love anachronisms -- catching them is half the fun.

The one that struck me as the most interesting was the throwaway line in Dune where Duke Leto checks his wristwatch. We barely wear those anymore in 2022, let alone 30,000 years from now.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:10 am I love anachronisms -- catching them is half the fun.

The one that struck me as the most interesting was the throwaway line in Dune where Duke Leto checks his wristwatch. We barely wear those anymore in 2022, let alone 30,000 years from now.
To be fair, there are no computers in the Duniverse, so phones wouldn't have replaced watches as timekeepers.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

As an aside to the original intent, there's a pretty important issue related to sidelining in movies: depending on how the musicians are hired, sometimes they are convinced that it should not go through the musicians union but instead get a waiver from the Screen Actors Guild. I think a SAG waiver will sometimes get a slightly larger payment up front, but if it goes through the musicians union the players get residuals. In the case of movies that do well at the box office, that can amount to MUCH more money over time. Whether your sound is being used or not is not relevant.
Last edited by GabrielRice on Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:12 pm I think there is a CL2000 in Amadeus too
Amadeus was filmed in 1984, long before the CL2000 was made. It could be fake-news👍🤣

tangent:
...but I too react when items or facts does not match in movies or in books. I listened to a book on radio where description of environment as well as how people spoke to each other suggested the story could take place in Stockholm around 1930. One thing was the narrator referred people by their last name instead of their first name that absolutely indicated the story to take place before 1970-ies. In the 70-ies we had a "revolution" in language called "du-reformen" when people stopped use titles and everybody could be addressed by their first name. Some older rich people might have been offended by the new rules back then but today everybody expects to be called by their first name. Anyhow the environment suggested time period to be even decades before 1970. Suddenly the story talked about a "pandemic" and that got me interested. Could it be the smallpox that had an large outbreak in Stockholm in the early 60-ies when I was born, but then the story went on about our "department of disease control", and named it by it's new name it was given in 2014 which is "Folkhälsommyndigheten". I happen to work there?? Well, that name did not exist before 2014. The book had caught me until then and I found it exiting but from that moment I got so confused I had to turn it off :idk:

/Tom
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:22 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:10 am I love anachronisms -- catching them is half the fun.

To be fair, there are no computers in the Duniverse, so phones wouldn't have replaced watches as timekeepers.
You're right, and I was keenly aware of that too. That's why I love the line. It made me pause, and took me out of the story, but not in a bad way. Wasn't Paul watching Yueh's filmbooks? I had imagined those were basically like animated Kindles, or "dumb" ipads. In a world where an entire planet's worth of military can fit in a tiny corner of the transport ship, and cross the universe in a blink of the eye .... Duke Leto checks his wristwatch.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I still liked the extra in Spartacus who was wearing a wristwatch.

And of course seeing people with wide frame eyeglasses in the Eighteenth Century.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I was in a tv show called Timeless, a time travel yarn.
I was hired for a nightclub scene set in the Rat Pack era of early 60s Las Vegas. The main prerequisite was that I fit into the evening wear they had for the band. I don’t recall if they asked for a period appropriate horn, not that it mattered for the 1/10th of a nanosecond I was onscreen when the episode aired.

The most money I ever made on a gig and they also paid me extra for my horn.

Return to “Media”