Jack Teagarden sitting in with a Salvation Army quartet

Spin your yarns here.
BassTbone

Jack Teagarden sitting in with a Salvation Army quartet

Post by BassTbone »

Hi all

I'm trying to verify what may be an apocryphal event that happened in the twenties in New York with Jack Teagarden. Purportedly, there was a Salvation Army quartet playing at a donation kettle site in Times Square and Jack was in the crowd. At a break he asked the trombone player if he could sit in (or maybe he was asked) and borrow the guy's horn. Of course the Salvationinst trombone player recognized him and said sure. Jack played a tune or so and split. I'm asking because I've heard this story from my Dad and Grandfather several times and I think I remember that the Salvation Army trombone player was actually my grandfather who was in New York at that time going through SA officer training. Both my dad and grandfather are gone now so I can't verify this.

If someone here has even heard of this event let me know.

Thanks

Frank
DougHulme

Re: Jack Teagarden sitting in with a Salvation Army quartet

Post by DougHulme »

I'll ask around - I would love it to be true!!
DougHulme

Re: Jack Teagarden sitting in with a Salvation Army quartet

Post by DougHulme »

Frank... I checked with Ronald Holz - whose written books on the Salvation Army banding in New York and Ron Waiksnorris the recently retired Bandmaster of The New York Staff Band... both thought it was a great story but neither had heard it before. I still hope its a true story but dont think I can do anymore to verify. Kindest - Doug

Return to “Tangents”