Collecting Large Currency Denominations

Spin your yarns here.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Collecting Large Currency Denominations

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Just curious if anyone here on the forum is into collecting US currency (non-coins). It’s something that I’ve always had an interest in and I would like to start exploring this realm that is foreign to me. I’ve always had a fascination for large US currency such as the $500 & $1000 bill. In addition, being in Hawaii I know a little about the US currency that has “HAWAII” stamped on them and I would like to learn more about those as well.

Anyone here with firsthand experience/knowledge?
Drew A.
Professional bum.
BGuttman

Re: Collecting Large Currency Denominations

Post by BGuttman »

Very large denomination bills are not easy to find. A numismatist society would be a good source of information. Note that while "Numismatist" used to be associated with collecting coins, they deal with paper currency as well.

Until 1960 Hawaii was a US Territory. Currency for use on the Islands was separate from regular US currency and was stamped "Hawaii". With the arrival of Statehood, regular US currency became standard.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
HawaiiTromboneGuy

BGuttman wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:40 am Very large denomination bills are not easy to find. A numismatist society would be a good source of information. Note that while "Numismatist" used to be associated with collecting coins, they deal with paper currency as well.

Until 1960 Hawaii was a US Territory. Currency for use on the Islands was separate from regular US currency and was stamped "Hawaii". With the arrival of Statehood, regular US currency became standard.
Yeah, I’ve been watching auctions on eBay to kinda see what these bills sell for. I’m not looking for the most pristine examples, but more along the lines of “conversation starters” or examples to just get my toes wet. The more pristine examples are too rich for my blood for something that would basically have zero use on a daily basis.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I don't think you can get a large denomination US bill under face value -- they are still currency. But sometimes you can get Confederate States of America money pretty cheap. Also, look for Zimbabwe currency, which is also dollars and very large denomination notes really have little value. The Ig-Nobel prizes come with a 10 million Zimbabwe dollar bill. It's really worthless.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Gary

Post by Gary »

I take it you've seen "Hawaii Overprint Currency Catalog (2012 Survey Edition)" by Jeremy Uota and "Catalogue of the Hawaiian Collection of American and Foreign Coins" by Scott and Company?

BTW, I'm from Kailua - McKinley grad. (district exception). You?
HawaiiTromboneGuy

BGuttman wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:09 pm I don't think you can get a large denomination US bill under face value -- they are still currency. But sometimes you can get Confederate States of America money pretty cheap. Also, look for Zimbabwe currency, which is also dollars and very large denomination notes really have little value. The Ig-Nobel prizes come with a 10 million Zimbabwe dollar bill. It's really worthless.
I’m definitely willing to pay above face value for the bills.

Gary wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:45 pm I take it you've seen "Hawaii Overprint Currency Catalog (2012 Survey Edition)" by Jeremy Uota and "Catalogue of the Hawaiian Collection of American and Foreign Coins" by Scott and Company?

BTW, I'm from Kailua - McKinley grad. (district exception). You?
I have seen a couple of books at the library, although the titles escape me at the moment. I live in Honolulu now, but grad from Pearl City.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Aloha nui loa!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have a hard enough time collecting small denomination bills.

Return to “Tangents”