Got to vent about a tbone seller

Spin your yarns here.
Kingfan

Got to vent about a tbone seller

Post by Kingfan »

I found a new post on Facebook Marketplace yesterday for two King Clevelands and a Couesenon valve bone for a steal. I messaged him last night, said I could come tonight or tomorrow. He said either one was fine. This morning I figured I had better get over there quick so told him I could come tonight. He said "tonight between 4:30 and 5, if not then tomorrow morning." I arranged to get off work an hour early, got home, grabbed my cash, messaged him to say I'm on my way, and he responded "Sorry, sold!". :evil: :evil: I'm so mad I'm chewing horseshoes and spitting nails.... At least he let me know before I made the hour drive.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Mikebmiller

Re: Got to vent about a tbone seller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Did you commit to buying the horns or did you just say you wanted to look at them? If you committed, you have a right to be mad. If you were just looking, taking the first guy with cash and messaging you to prevent a wasted drive seems reasonable.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:32 am Did you commit to buying the horns or did you just say you wanted to look at them? If you committed, you have a right to be mad. If you were just looking, taking the first guy with cash and messaging you to prevent a wasted drive seems reasonable.
This a problem for me too. Before the internet I never bought a horn without playing it first. These days if you see a model you want you have to slap down the cash before it's gone! If you snooze you loose. I've been lucky so far. But I'm bound to get a clunker with hidden damage at some point!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:32 am Did you commit to buying the horns or did you just say you wanted to look at them? If you committed, you have a right to be mad. If you were just looking, taking the first guy with cash and messaging you to prevent a wasted drive seems reasonable.
Yes, I said I wanted them. Plus, he didn't message me they were sold until I let him know I was leaving the house and would be there at the agreed time.
Greg Songer
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

Vent away, sir! Stinks that he didn't tell you he had other buyers when he scheduled a meet with you.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I take the attitude that until the deal is closed, anything can happen. Some people are considerate, while others aren't. In a situation like yours, I get mad and then move on.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

In that case, I would be ticked off too.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Yep. Two King Clevelands in what looked like decent shape (for student horns) and a Couesenon valve trombone in good shape (according to the pictures) for $100. Yep, $100. I was bringing much more than that and said I was willing to pay double or triple (or more) of the asking price if they were as nice in person as they were in the few pics. I guess I'm ticked off more for losing the deal than being stood up.
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Can't believe it, got skunked again! Facebook seller had a student horn, Manhasset stand, and tuner/metronome at a good price. I responded less than an hour after it was posted, said I would take it, when and where. She said OK and suggested meeting at a drug store parking lot in her neighborhood. I said it was working until 3 or so, she said message her when I knew when I would get there. I got off work, got my cash, messaged I would be there in 45 minutes, please confirm it was OK. No response. Messaged twice more, no response. The listing is gone. :idk:
Greg Songer
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Kingfan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 pm Can't believe it, got skunked again! Facebook seller had a student horn, Manhasset stand, and tuner/metronome at a good price. I responded less than an hour after it was posted, said I would take it, when and where. She said OK and suggested meeting at a drug store parking lot in her neighborhood. I said it was working until 3 or so, she said message her when I knew when I would get there. I got off work, got my cash, messaged I would be there in 45 minutes, please confirm it was OK. No response. Messaged twice more, no response. The listing is gone. :idk:
Just curious... why Facebook and not eBay?
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

[/quote]

Just curious... why Facebook and not eBay?
[/quote]

Easy. Many people don't want the hassle and fees of eBay and Paypal, and don't want to ship, so sell locally only on the free site like Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. A few months ago I got two used King 606 student horns, both in need of repair, for $40 from a local seller. My tech took one in exchange for fixing the better one, so I got a good player for a total investment of $40.
Greg Songer
GBP

Post by GBP »

Doubler wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:15 pm I take the attitude that until the deal is closed, anything can happen. Some people are considerate, while others aren't. In a situation like yours, I get mad and then move on.
I feel like this. If a person wants that not to happen, PayPal the money right then. That’s what I do when buying online, I send the money right away. It lets the person know you are serious and not just blowing smoke. There has been more than one buyer who has ghosted a seller before, so stuff like this is first person to my doorstep with cash gets it.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Kingfan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 pm Can't believe it, got skunked again! Facebook seller had a student horn, Manhasset stand, and tuner/metronome at a good price. I responded less than an hour after it was posted, said I would take it, when and where. She said OK and suggested meeting at a drug store parking lot in her neighborhood. I said it was working until 3 or so, she said message her when I knew when I would get there. I got off work, got my cash, messaged I would be there in 45 minutes, please confirm it was OK. No response. Messaged twice more, no response. The listing is gone. :idk:
What on earth are these shady-sounding back lot cash only deals? I guarantee you, no matter what it is, it's not worth meeting someone in a parking lot and handing over cash for, like some kind of deal. How can you be surprised that you got stood up? By a female no less. She was probably like, "wait a second. I'm about to meet a stranger in some parking lot to do a financial transaction" and had second thoughts.
afugate

Post by afugate »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:21 am What on earth are these shady-sounding back lot cash only deals? I guarantee you, no matter what it is, it's not worth meeting someone in a parking lot and handing over cash for, like some kind of deal. How can you be surprised that you got stood up? By a female no less. She was probably like, "wait a second. I'm about to meet a stranger in some parking lot to do a financial transaction" and had second thoughts.
I always pick a location that's very visible and has cameras. I've even met people at a local police station. It's important to protect both you and the other party. ;-) And let's face it... At least one of you plays the trombone, so by definition you make other people nervous! :lol:

--Andy in OKC
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:21 am
What on earth are these shady-sounding back lot cash only deals? I guarantee you, no matter what it is, it's not worth meeting someone in a parking lot and handing over cash for, like some kind of deal. How can you be surprised that you got stood up? By a female no less. She was probably like, "wait a second. I'm about to meet a stranger in some parking lot to do a financial transaction" and had second thoughts.
Dude, this is REALLY commonplace. How do you think Craigslist exists? Ever click on the Facebook Marketplace icon? HUGE. Many, if not most, suburban police stations these days offer their parking lots for Craigslist type deals.

It is a huge segment of the economy these days. I would be curious to see what percentage of arrangements end up with no-shows these days.

Cheers,
Andy
GBP

Post by GBP »

elmsandr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:20 am
harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:21 am

Dude, this is REALLY commonplace. How do you think Craigslist exists? Ever click on the Facebook Marketplace icon? HUGE. Many, if not most, suburban police stations these days offer their parking lots for Craigslist type deals.

It is a huge segment of the economy these days. I would be curious to see what percentage of arrangements end up with no-shows these days.

Cheers,
Andy
In King County, Washington, we have had several robberies and murders occur. Just recently, a guy trying to sell his car was murdered by the person he met.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, I know it's commonplace. People getting scared and backing out, especially if the buyer sends multiple messages, most be equally commonplace. How is anyone surprised here that the deal went sour? The topic is "gotta vent about a seller", but I'm sorry, it's not like any of the deals here ended up with money being paid and no product delivered. I've backed out of deals myself on TTF and Trombone chat when the buyer puts out a weird vibe. It could be anything, but usually it's too many messages, haggling, and being too pushy. I stand by what I said -- it's not really safe, and that goes for the buyer and the seller. Anything can cause someone to get cold feet.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 pm Yeah, I know it's commonplace. People getting scared and backing out, especially if the buyer sends multiple messages, most be equally commonplace. How is anyone surprised here that the deal went sour? The topic is "gotta vent about a seller", but I'm sorry, it's not like any of the deals here ended up with money being paid and no product delivered. I've backed out of deals myself on TTF and Trombone chat when the buyer puts out a weird vibe. It could be anything, but usually it's too many messages, haggling, and being too pushy.
I do this a lot. I am polite and honest in my communications and don't go overboard. I didn't haggle. I got stood up by a buyer Saturday who didn't say they weren't coming, only let me know after I asked if they were still interested. I don't like the rug yanked out from under me. If I tell somebody to meet me for a deal, and I change my mind for any reason, I let the other party know ASAP. I don't like to plan to go someplace only to be ghosted. I will say a large majority of buyers and sellers are honest, good people, but a few jerks ruin it for the rest.
Greg Songer

Return to “Tangents”