Yikes

Spin your yarns here.
Kdanielsen

Re: Yikes

Post by Kdanielsen »

hyperbolica wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:06 pm
Kdanielsen wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:00 pm So you are suggesting that, while people are being murdered by the police, the solution is to tolerate racism?
I'm saying use due process to judge people by their actions. Not who they are (race), not what they think (racist) , or what they say (sticks and stones... ) . Cops killing people is wrong (still deserve due process), setting buildings on fire is also wrong.

Yes, you have to learn to tolerate people who think things you don't like. You can't defeat racism without tolerating it. What are you going to do? Kill all the racists? You know what that sounds like?

You can't fix what people think, but even people who think bad things can avoid bad actions. That's the only way to judge them. There are plenty of racists who don't allow bad thoughts to turn into bad actions.

I used to think that way.

Then I realized that my privilege as a white person, my assumption that due process and law will work for everyone equally, was the reason that idea was so easy to embrace. When I get pulled over, or see a police officer, my assumption is that I’m not going to be murdered. People of color can’t make that assumption. That’s privilege. Same thing with the legal system. Same thing with employment. Same thing across society.

We need to be better allies.

Protecting oppressors only hurts victims. Tolerating public racist rants only gives racist violence a backdrop that normalizes it.

And being fired from an orchestra isnt in the same universe as being murdered at a traffic stop.

Im done intellectualizing this because for the victims of racism (and sexism, and homophobia, and transphobia, etc etc etc) it isn’t an intellectual issue. It’s a matter of life and death. It’s an everyday issue of fear and oppression.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Yes, Kris. Well said.

Her facebook account was removed before I had a chance to look at it; I did see some of her twitter feed. This is not new behavior from her. Her published racist opinions create a hostile workplace environment, which is a fireable offense in any field. There have to be consequences.

From an ACLU lawyer:
https://www.talksonlaw.com/briefs/can-y ... F5XEdvhcS0

From the Society for Human Resource Management:
https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-m ... krHKqqEeQw

"...five states—California, Colorado, Louisiana, New York and North Dakota—protect employees from retaliation for engaging in lawful off-duty conduct and political activities, no matter how distasteful their colleagues may consider their affiliations...Workers can, however, be axed for engaging in hate speech and making disparaging comments about protected categories of race, religion and gender."
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

Apparently lost opera job as well:
https://slippedisc.com
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Kdanielsen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:02 am
hyperbolica wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm saying use due process to judge people by their actions. Not who they are (race), not what they think (racist) , or what they say (sticks and stones... ) . Cops killing people is wrong (still deserve due process), setting buildings on fire is also wrong.

Yes, you have to learn to tolerate people who think things you don't like. You can't defeat racism without tolerating it. What are you going to do? Kill all the racists? You know what that sounds like?

You can't fix what people think, but even people who think bad things can avoid bad actions. That's the only way to judge them. There are plenty of racists who don't allow bad thoughts to turn into bad actions.

I used to think that way.

Then I realized that my privilege as a white person, my assumption that due process and law will work for everyone equally, was the reason that idea was so easy to embrace. When I get pulled over, or see a police officer, my assumption is that I’m not going to be murdered. People of color can’t make that assumption. That’s privilege. Same thing with the legal system. Same thing with employment. Same thing across society.

We need to be better allies.

Protecting oppressors only hurts victims. Tolerating public racist rants only gives racist violence a backdrop that normalizes it.

And being fired from an orchestra isnt in the same universe as being murdered at a traffic stop.

Im done intellectualizing this because for the victims of racism (and sexism, and homophobia, and transphobia, etc etc etc) it isn’t an intellectual issue. It’s a matter of life and death. It’s an everyday issue of fear and oppression.
Where's your data that due process does not work for individuals of color? How can you state that people of color do not have the same economic equality when Asian Americans earn more than white Americans? Does it not boil down to individual choices and a bit of luck when it comes to success, in spite of the actions of a few racist individuals? Injustices exist but it is not as grim a picture as you are painting.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 am Where's your data that due process does not work for individuals of color? How can you state that people of color do not have the same economic equality when Asian Americans earn more than white Americans? Does it not boil down to individual choices and a bit of luck when it comes to success, in spite of the actions of a few racist individuals? Injustices exist but it is not as grim a picture as you are painting.
Wow. Just wow.

Please read (carefully):
Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People:
https://tinyurl.com/y79dnoc8

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism:
https://tinyurl.com/ybnbt84a

So You Want to Talk About Race:
https://tinyurl.com/yde7bkjc
(read this one twice)

You'll then be able to just barely wrap your head about having a meaningful conversation about systemic racism and how it impacts the lives of people of color every single day. You won't be good at it. None of us are. But it will be a start.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

slipperyjoe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 am
norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 am Where's your data that due process does not work for individuals of color? How can you state that people of color do not have the same economic equality when Asian Americans earn more than white Americans? Does it not boil down to individual choices and a bit of luck when it comes to success, in spite of the actions of a few racist individuals? Injustices exist but it is not as grim a picture as you are painting.
Wow. Just wow.

Please read (carefully):
Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People:
https://tinyurl.com/y79dnoc8

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism:
https://tinyurl.com/ybnbt84a

So You Want to Talk About Race:
https://tinyurl.com/yde7bkjc

Then we can talk.
Wow to facts? I wish you would address the points I made instead of sending me to articles. The only way we can progress in a conversation about such a sensitive issue is to address the facts. In the U.S., based on "Median houseland income in the past 12 months (in 2014 inflation-adjusted dollars)". American Community Survey. United States Census Bureau. 2014., out of the top 10 wage earners 6 are of Asian or South African descent. Now, South Africa could mean white or black, so we can ignore the for the moment if you'd like. This would support the view that certain ethnic minorities are doing quite well economically.

I also wrote "Does it not boil down to individual choices and a bit of luck when it comes to success, in spite of the actions of a few racist individuals? Injustices exist but it is not as grim a picture as you are painting." Why not address that directly? I am of the view that most people can succeed in spite of some morons out there, and that people are inherently good and want to do the right thing.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Whatboutism at its finest.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

It does not boil down to individual choice or luck. Thats the point.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

We'll have to differ in opinions then, because in my eyes it is absolutely a factor. I did not mean to imply it is the only one, but it is a powerful influence.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 am Wow to facts? I wish you would address the points I made instead of sending me to articles. The only way we can progress in a conversation about such a sensitive issue is to address the facts. In the U.S., based on "Median houseland income in the past 12 months (in 2014 inflation-adjusted dollars)". American Community Survey. United States Census Bureau. 2014., out of the top 10 wage earners 6 are of Asian or South African descent. Now, South Africa could mean white or black, so we can ignore the for the moment if you'd like. This would support the view that certain ethnic minorities are doing quite well economically.

I also wrote "Does it not boil down to individual choices and a bit of luck when it comes to success, in spite of the actions of a few racist individuals? Injustices exist but it is not as grim a picture as you are painting." Why not address that directly? I am of the view that most people can succeed in spite of some morons out there, and that people are inherently good and want to do the right thing.
You would benefit from an education about systemic racism from points of view of people of color. Good luck with your research.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Whoa! Don't most African and Indian immigrants represent the more educated to begin with? Also, I can't see how there's any comparison between them and African-Americans, because what it doesn't say is that, no matter how successful they might be, they're just another inferior colored person to some cracker.

In a matter of months, an African-American woman was blown away by cops and she was just sitting, peacefully, in her own home: an African-American man just jogging down the street, gets assaulted and murdered by a bunch of vigilantes; now this latest death at the hands of law enforcement. Actions speak louder than words.

If I were black, I would be sick. This has been going on for centuries, things explode and lip service says there will be action to right the wrongs, and hen practically nothing is changed. Business as usual.

If I were black, I would be wary every time I left the house.
Last edited by Gary on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

slipperyjoe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 am
norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 am Wow to facts? I wish you would address the points I made instead of sending me to articles. The only way we can progress in a conversation about such a sensitive issue is to address the facts. In the U.S., based on "Median houseland income in the past 12 months (in 2014 inflation-adjusted dollars)". American Community Survey. United States Census Bureau. 2014., out of the top 10 wage earners 6 are of Asian or South African descent. Now, South Africa could mean white or black, so we can ignore the for the moment if you'd like. This would support the view that certain ethnic minorities are doing quite well economically.

You would benefit from an education about systemic racism from points of view of people of color. Good luck with your research.
Not willing to address facts? That's the only way we can come to a rationale conclusion. You may be right, I may be right, but out of that we come to the truth.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Gary wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 am Whoa! Don't most African and Indian immigrants represent the more educated to begin with? Also, I can't see how there's any comparison between them and African-Americans, because what it doesn't say is that, no matter how successful they might be, they're just another inferior colored person to some cracker.

In a matter of months, an African-American woman was blown away by cops and she was just sitting, peacefully, in her own home: an African-American man just jogging down the street, gets assaulted and murdered by a bunch of vigilantes; now this latest death at the hands of law enforcement. Actions speak louder than words.

If I were black, I would be sick. This has been going on for centuries, things explode and lip service says there will be action to right the wrongs, and hen practically nothing is changed. Business as usual.

If I were black, I would be wary every time I left the house.
This is an excellent website regarding officer involved shootings: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2019/
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

I don't support racism but Why should you private doings on social media affect your professional life?
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:56 pm I don't support racism but Why should you private doings on social media affect your professional life?
How would you like it if someone you worked with had views against you? Would you feel safe in that kind of environment, especially considering she did not exactly keep her views quiet?
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Mv2541 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:59 pm
8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:56 pm I don't support racism but Why should you private doings on social media affect your professional life?
How would you like it if someone you worked with had views against you? Would you feel safe in that kind of environment, especially considering she did not exactly keep her views quiet?
was she making racist comments to on the job?
Otherwise, I don't think your employer should fore you based on what you wriye on facebook
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

I'm glad this is getting press. Hopefully her private lesson referrals from schools will also dry up.
Last edited by slipperyjoe on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

8Park, what you say on a public forum can reflect on your employer. It is implied that if they hired you they agreed with you. The comments posted on the Violin Channel seem to indicate that this person is a Trumpian with a tin ear toward African-Americans. Given this was broadcast, the Orchestra needed to distance itself from her in order to avoid offending African-American subscribers and patrons.

If she just expressed these feelings to herself or her close friends this might not have been so offensive.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:30 pm 8Park, what you say on a public forum can reflect on your employer. It is implied that if they hired you they agreed with you. The comments posted on the Violin Channel seem to indicate that this person is a Trumpian with a tin ear toward African-Americans. Given this was broadcast, the Orchestra needed to distance itself from her in order to avoid offending African-American subscribers and patrons.

If she just expressed these feelings to herself or her close friends this might not have been so offensive.
I see your point and definetly in todays world firing her would be neccesary but maybe we should learn to be more tolerant of others views and seperate the artist from the person.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Someone already wrote about intolerance on both sides of the issue in this thread. I wrote about redemption.

When a person attributes certain negative stereotypes to an entire race it is difficult to tolerate, which is what she did in those posts of hers. She might be a terrific artist and person outside these views but, as at least a couple of posters pointed out, in the end it is about keeping subscribers and it is hard to do so when a person goes so public with her views. I get your view point but the reality in this situation outstrips the ideal.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

:space4:
norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:44 pm Someone already wrote about intolerance on both sides of the issue in this thread. I wrote about redemption.

When a person attributes certain negative stereotypes to an entire race it is difficult to tolerate, which is what she did in those posts of hers. She might be a terrific artist and person outside these views but, as at least a couple of posters pointed out, in the end it is about keeping subscribers and it is hard to do so when a person goes so public with her views. I get your view point but the reality in this situation outstrips the ideal.
I agree 100%
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

Racism is a heinous system of institutionalized subjugation, exploitation, marginalization and violence.

Why should it be tolerated in any way, shape or form?
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

slipperyjoe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm Racism is a heinous system of institutionalized subjugation, exploitation, marginalization and violence.

Because freedom of speech is a thing.
It would be different if she was going around her place of work and makind rude comments but no, she posted them on her private facebook account which has no affiliation to her employer.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Also it's important to remember than fear of someone different than you is a natural human instinct. It's not easy to cleanse yourself of it. Especially of you were raised in a more racist enviornment.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I will agree that it should not be tolerated, but do you have no compassion for the person with those views, or are you willing to simply cast their entire being aside as trash? We're talking about human beings on both sides here, who by the very nature of being alive deserve compassion and empathy and love. Something makes a person have hateful views and until we talk about those views under the light of reason with that person we have no chance of changing views and attitudes.

You may know the story of the musician Daryl Davis who actively seeks out Klan members and convinces those who will listen to him to change. To me, that's the only way we're going to change a person's hatred to love, by one person talking with another person, human to human. https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/54486193 ... heir-robes
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 pm I will agree that it should not be tolerated, but do you have no compassion for the person with those views, or are you willing to simply cast their entire being aside as trash? We're talking about human beings on both sides here, who by the very nature of being alive deserve compassion and empathy and love. Something makes a person have hateful views and until we talk about those views under the light of reason with that person we have no chance of changing views and attitudes.

You may know the story of the musician Daryl Davis who actively seeks out Klan members and convinces those who will listen to him to change. To me, that's the only way we're going to change a person's hatred to love, by one person talking with another person, human to human. https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/54486193 ... heir-robes
yes

I just want to put this into persepctive here. She made a bad choice and posted some slightly innapropiate comments on facebook and as a result her life is basicaly ruined. She was fired from all her jobs and internationally humiliated. I'm sure every trombonist in the and probably most classical musicians and many non musicians are aware of this story, probably due to the current events causing people to overdramatise. The story has even made it to many major news outlets. She prbably won't ever be able to get a decent job again and alot of people are going to leave her. Her life is ruined. I'm not saying racism is ok but the the response is major overkill.
Elow

Post by Elow »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:26 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 pm I will agree that it should not be tolerated, but do you have no compassion for the person with those views, or are you willing to simply cast their entire being aside as trash? We're talking about human beings on both sides here, who by the very nature of being alive deserve compassion and empathy and love. Something makes a person have hateful views and until we talk about those views under the light of reason with that person we have no chance of changing views and attitudes.

yes

I just want to put this into persepctive here. She made a bad choice and posted some slightly innapropiate comments on facebook and as a result her life is basicaly ruined. She was fired from all her jobs and internationally humiliated. I'm sure every trombonist in the and probably most classical musicians and many non musicians are aware of this story, probably due to the current events causing people to overdramatise. The story has even made it to many major news outlets. She prbably won't ever be able to get a decent job again and alot of people are going to leave her. Her life is ruined. I'm not saying racism is ok but the the response is major overkill.
Hopefully it will keep other idiot’s mouths shut. You know people are literally dying, and you’re concerned about her not going to be able to play professionally. There’s always a dollar general she can work at, suits her better anyways.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Elow wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 pm
8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:26 pm
yes

Hopefully it will keep other idiot’s mouths shut.

You know people are literally dying, and you’re concerned about her not going to be able to play professionally. There’s always a dollar general she can work at, suits her better anyways.
then why are making such a big deal out of this in the first place?
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

And anyway, fear mongering is not going to solve the racism problem in any shape or form. Just silence it
Gary

Post by Gary »

First, I think what was posted is abhorrent. I find it, personally, repugnant.

Second, a right that distinguishes democracies like our own is freedom of speech, a precious right. It is permissible as long as it is not against the law. I am not aware of any law these comments violate.

Regarding comments reflecting poorly on an employer, she was acting solely in a personal manner and not as a representative of the organization of which she is a member. Nor did she express her opinion on any official company media.

Silencing opposing opinion, even when you find it ugly, is a right that must continue to be protected. One man's offensive post today is another one's tomorrow. You have to be careful what you wish for.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Gary wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:06 pm First, I think what was posted is abhorrent. I find it, personally, repugnant.

Second, a right that distinguishes democracies like our own is freedom of speech, a precious right. It is permissible as long as it is not against the law. I am not aware of any law these comments violate.

Regarding comments reflecting poorly on an employer, she was acting solely in a personal manner and not as a representative of the organization of which she is a member. Nor did she express her opinion on any official company media.

Silencing opposing opinion, even when you find it ugly, is a right that must continue to be protected. One man's offensive post today is another one's tomorrow. You have to be careful what you wish for.
precisely
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:07 pm
Gary wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:06 pm First, I think what was posted is abhorrent. I find it, personally, repugnant.

precisely
And what really disturbs me is that I'm sure not that many people are looking at her facebook page and here we have people purpousfully sharing these posts just to they will be well known enough that they can report her, ban her from facebook, and in the end: get her fired.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

This person created a hostile environment for their section, orchestra colleagues, and ticket holders. Words like theirs are not harmless, and while they are protected from prosecution by the first amendment (subject to certain limits), nobody should expect their employer to tolerate hate speech, on or off the clock. Forgiveness requires that the offender recognize their wrongdoing, apologize for it, and atone for it. So far none of this has happened. Forgiveness also does not imply that there can be no consequences for actions.

At some point, we have to be pragmatic. Yes, it's worth celebrating when a racist is redeemed. That's not what is happening here. If that person wants to set that goal for themself after losing their career, and being publicly shamed after making public racist comments, then good for them. That does not erase what they did, and I'd argue it wouldn't even make it right. This bell cannot be un-rung.

If I wanted to forgive someone I sat next to for being a terrible person, I would go to church.

I don't go to church.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

paulyg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:11 pm This person created a hostile environment for their section, orchestra colleagues, and ticket holders. Words like theirs are not harmless, and while they are protected from prosecution by the first amendment (subject to certain limits), nobody should expect their employer to tolerate hate speech, on or off the clock. Forgiveness requires that the offender recognize their wrongdoing, apologize for it, and atone for it. So far none of this has happened. Forgiveness also does not imply that there can be no consequences for actions.

At some point, we have to be pragmatic. Yes, it's worth celebrating when a racist is redeemed. That's not what is happening here. If that person wants to set that goal for themself after losing their career, and being publicly shamed after making public racist comments, then good for them. That does not erase what they did, and I'd argue it wouldn't even make it right. This bell cannot be un-rung.

If I wanted to forgive someone I sat next to for being a terrible person, I would go to church.

I don't go to church.
I still don't understand how expressing your opinions in a private forum should cause you to get fired and internationally humiliated?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
paulyg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:11 pm This person created a hostile environment for their section, orchestra colleagues, and ticket holders. Words like theirs are not harmless, and while they are protected from prosecution by the first amendment (subject to certain limits), nobody should expect their employer to tolerate hate speech, on or off the clock. Forgiveness requires that the offender recognize their wrongdoing, apologize for it, and atone for it. So far none of this has happened. Forgiveness also does not imply that there can be no consequences for actions.

I don't go to church.
I still don't understand how expressing your opinions in a private forum should cause you to get fired and internationally humiliated?
Since when is Facebook a private forum?

If you humiliate and embarrass yourself on something that clearly was NOT a private forum, why wouldn't your employer take action? It's no different than if a police officer did the same on their FB account, or if someone who worked at whole foods was supporting extremist environmental terrorism on their account. If you do that in a way that gathers attention, which this has, you've already embarrassed and humiliated YOURSELF, and all that's left is for your employer to fire you for the legitimate reason of bringing bad press and putting the company in a bad light.

That's how the world works outside of student land.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Id rather her keep her opinion to herself than to go out of her way to spread hate multiple times. Music is all about coming together to create something special with others She did not deserve her job and i am personally glad with the outcome of this situation.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

I don't go to church.
Sums it up nicely. Thanks.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:24 pm
Can FB posting be done privately? Are there private chat rooms? Is these something the trombonist in question could have taken advantage of in order to discuss her racist views with like-minded people?
Last edited by slipperyjoe on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

I guess it depends on how much you think your professional/study life and personal life should be intertwined. Personally I like to keep my study life and personal life as far apart as possible And in tge end of the day a professional comes into work to do the the job that need to be done. Whats happens putside of the workplace, in my opinion, should stay outside and the music industry is no exception. People like to say it's special and different but it really isn't.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

slipperyjoe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Can FB posting be done privately? Is this something the trombonist in question could have activated to discuss racist views with like-minded people?
yes
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I'd like to remind everyone, because it seems we are horrifically not even to this point yet: blatant racism is in 99% of contracts a reason for a no-questions-asked termination. It's up there with sexual harassment and pedophilia. I'm surprised there are people who don't see it this way.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

If you humiliate and embarrass yourself on something that clearly was NOT a private forum, why wouldn't your employer take action? It's no different than if a police officer did the same on their FB account, or if someone who worked at whole foods was supporting extremist environmental terrorism on their account. If you do that in a way that gathers attention, which this has, you've already embarrassed and humiliated YOURSELF, and all that's left is for your employer to fire you for the legitimate reason of bringing bad press and putting the company in a bad light.

except terrorism is illegal.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm I guess it depends on how much you think your professional/study life and personal life should be intertwined. Personally I like to keep my study life and personal life as far apart as possible And in tge end of the day a professional comes into work to do the the job that need to be done. Whats happens putside of the workplace, in my opinion, should stay outside and the music industry is no exception. People like to say it's special and different but it really isn't.
This is a naive view. Musicians are the very face of their organization. The public that supports the orchestra will know if a member of that orchestra was posting racist comments publicly, which is the case here. There may even have been a clause in her contact that forbids her from expressing certain views or opinions publicly, or putting the company in a bad light. In either case, the employer has every right to cut dead weight out from their organization, especially when times are already so hard for orchestras.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm
slipperyjoe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Can FB posting be done privately? Is this something the trombonist in question could have activated to discuss racist views with like-minded people?
yes
Hmmmm. Is it then reasonable to assume that a educated person with a somewhat public profile would know to discuss views to which an employer might object privately?
Last edited by slipperyjoe on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elow

Post by Elow »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:30 pm I guess it depends on how much you think your professional/study life and personal life should be intertwined. Personally I like to keep my study life and personal life as far apart as possible And in tge end of the day a professional comes into work to do the the job that need to be done. Whats happens putside of the workplace, in my opinion, should stay outside and the music industry is no exception. People like to say it's special and different but it really isn't.
You are 14. I doubt you know much about playing in an orchestra, or working for that matter.

A little hypocritical for me to be saying that but still needed to make that point
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm

except terrorism is illegal.
I don't think you've got a leg to stand on, and I don't think you actually know what you're talking about. Expressing support for eco-terrorism is actually NOT illegal either, but gets you fired (and put on watch-lists). You're just living in an idealised world, but your perspective will be different when you get hired by someone willing to shell out for what you have to offer. Worry about these things in eight years, after you've experienced more things, graduated, and had to work a little.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm

This is a naive view. Musicians are the very face of their organization. The public that supports the orchestra will know if a member of that orchestra was posting racist comments publicly, which is the case here. There may even have been a clause in her contact that forbids her from expressing certain views or opinions publicly, or putting the company in a bad light. In either case, the employer has every right to cut dead weight out from their organization, especially when times are already so hard for orchestras.
I understand and I never said she was in the right. I just think that the response was overkill. Of course though that also reflects our current time and events.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm
slipperyjoe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm Racism is a heinous system of institutionalized subjugation, exploitation, marginalization and violence.

Because freedom of speech is a thing.
It would be different if she was going around her place of work and makind rude comments but no, she posted them on her private facebook account which has no affiliation to her employer.
US Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said that Freedom of Speech does not permit you to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.

We also have carveouts in Protected Speech to disallow hate speech. You are not permitted to say things to incite hatred against any group. Thus antisemitic speech as presented by Hitler in the period between the two World Wars would be disallowed in the US.

8Park, you are in Israel. Do you think it is in anybody's best interest to denigrate Palestinian viewpoints or for the Arabs to want to "Push the Jews Into the Sea"? These points of view have just served to continue an abrasive situation for the last 72 years.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:43 pm
I understand and I never said she was in the right. I just think that the response was overkill. Of course though that also reflects our current time and events.
Putting aside right and wrong, for a minute, if the contract said "you will not express racist or extremist views contrary to the ideals of the orchestra publicly", then what would you think?

Return to “Tangents”