Yikes

Spin your yarns here.
brtnats

Re: Yikes

Post by brtnats »

8parktoollover wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:19 am The point is you can be racist but not behave in a racist fashion. As long as you don't harm anybody then I see no problem. It really isn't that hard to do. In fact we do i all the time.
No you can’t. Racism is defined as consistently committing racist ACTS. When you do/say/think something racist, in that moment, you are committing a racist act. Doing that consistently, over time, IS racism. You cannot be racist and not behave in a non-racist way. That would mean you have racist thoughts and impulses, actively engage with them, and suppress them. That’s literally the opposite of what we’re talking about.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 pm
8parktoollover wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 am

Oc course you can't rid all racism from all of your actions but again, everybody has biases.
I will say that your statement here 100% contradicts what you were talking about. Yes! A racist person cannot rid that bias from their actions. It is a detriment to a modern society.

People look like all sorts, bur none of them think or act the same. There is no room for racism, period, in a functioning society.
Thank you Harrison! We're with you. :good:
Julie555

Post by Julie555 »

I went to school with this person. She was a good friend of mine for many years.

I can honestly tell you that I have never heard her say a single racist thing in over 20 years of friendship about anybody. She had several pet peeves all around laziness, being financial irresponsible and using poor grammar. Never race, gender or sexual orientation. She even ended her relationship with her mother after her mother made a racist comment about her then latino boyfriend (now husband).

In the last few years i have watched my friend slowly become emotionally unhinged. It seemed to start around the time her son was born. She started becoming kind of angry and obsessive. She blocked her husband from her facebook page and started posting frequent angry rants about him and his adult son. She created a facebook page for her infant son and spent years posting as if it were him speaking in the first person. Her facebook postings became progressively more bizarre until someone called CPS concerned for her young son - who was actually completely fine and well cared for. I dont think she is well.

This is not the story of a racist finally being outed and cancelled. It is the very sad case of a woman going off the deep end. I’m very sad about this and i hope she gets help not further punishment.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Julie555 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:46 am It seemed to start around the time her son was born.
Next time someone says, "My kids are driving me crazy"... I'll believe it!
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

I wasn't aware of this thread last year. I'm curious what this lady said. Where can I find it? Someone can PM me if you have it.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think near the top of this thread there's a link to a screenshot of facebook posts, but everything else has been taken down.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have to say... reading of her troubles above does change my view of this somewhat...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:18 pm I think near the top of this thread there's a link to a screenshot of facebook posts, but everything else has been taken down.
Thanks, found 'em.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Julie555 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:46 am I went to school with this person. She was a good friend of mine for many years.

I can honestly tell you that I have never heard her say a single racist thing in over 20 years of friendship about anybody. She had several pet peeves all around laziness, being financial irresponsible and using poor grammar. Never race, gender or sexual orientation. She even ended her relationship with her mother after her mother made a racist comment about her then latino boyfriend (now husband).

In the last few years i have watched my friend slowly become emotionally unhinged. It seemed to start around the time her son was born. She started becoming kind of angry and obsessive. She blocked her husband from her facebook page and started posting frequent angry rants about him and his adult son. She created a facebook page for her infant son and spent years posting as if it were him speaking in the first person. Her facebook postings became progressively more bizarre until someone called CPS concerned for her young son - who was actually completely fine and well cared for. I dont think she is well.

This is not the story of a racist finally being outed and cancelled. It is the very sad case of a woman going off the deep end. I’m very sad about this and i hope she gets help not further punishment.
But surely you read the racist comments that she wrote during your 20 year friendship?

People going crazy and slipping of into the deep end is anyways sad. If it affects their behavior, the behavior is really all you can go off of. Hopefully her friends who knew her tried to help her out. Her employer definitely helped her see where they stood on her public opinions.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I had read this as someone who took one too many muscle relaxers and then sat down for some internet commenting with the discretion and common sense filter turned off. Perhaps on more than one occasion.

But the postpartum angle is interesting. There have been many stories like that in the news, with outcomes way worse than losing a job as an orchestral trombone player.

I've been in workplaces with "anger issue" people. There isn't much a co-worker can realistically do. If simply telling them they have a problem was enough to change anything, they probably wouldn't have a problem anyway.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Tangents”