How to balance work with practice

Spin your yarns here.
Elow

How to balance work with practice

Post by Elow »

So i’m the guy who ultrasonic cleans your instruments and i love it. It’s an easy job and i get to talk to repair techs all day, only problem is i’m doing this 9-7 6 days a week. During that time all i can think about is how much and what i’m going to practice the second i get home, but once i get home i just can’t bring myself to practice. I’ll practice like small stuff but not the 4 hours that i want. This especially sucks because i’m expected to play bassoon, bass guitar, euphonium, and trombone in separate bands in my school and i’m just not able to practice them all daily. I’ve asked my manager to cut my hours but during quarantine 2 of the other people who do my job quit and to add on top of that all the middle schoolers are returning their rentals so we have an overload of instruments and not enough cleaners. I would hate to quit because i love this job, but i have all state auditions coming up and i’m trying to keep my 3 year streak going. I just feel like such a terrible musician right now, especially because everyone is using this covid break to practice and i’m stuck slaving over tubas. Anyone have any experience? If not, still feels good to just write this all out.
Doubler

Re: How to balance work with practice

Post by Doubler »

Man, you're a hero in your own right, shouldering that much responsibility. Please lighten up on yourself. This too shall pass. We don't want you to get burned out. Life has its challenges. Do what you can, and try to be philosophical about the rest.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Elow

Post by Elow »

Doubler wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:51 am Man, you're a hero in your own right, shouldering that much responsibility. Please lighten up on yourself. This too shall pass. We don't want you to get burned out. Life has its challenges. Do what you can, and try to be philosophical about the rest.
Thanks, i try to make the best with what i’m given. There’s at least one good thing that comes out of this. New horn every month :lol:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What school do you attend that you are supposed to play all those instruments in various ensembles while working 10 hours per day 6 days a week at an outside job? I feel like there is a missing piece of information here, and from what I gather, you're in high school with a toddler running around. You're facing an uphill battle with that kind of work schedule, especially if you're supporting yourself. If the toddler is just your little sibling, and this is your summer job, then don't worry about it. It's good for you to work a job like that and work out what practicing actually means to you.

If you're a serious performer and want to balance work and practice, you need to be in a job where your work becomes a part of your practice. ie teaching, playing professionally, etc. There are few who would be able to do manual labor on their feet for 10 hours a day and then spend additional time practicing to achieve or maintain a a decent level of ability on any instrument, let alone three or four instruments. I went this route through a very roundabout way after I realized I couldn't stand not being able to play, and that was when I was 25 and hadn't played in three years. I was on a mountain in Afghanistan, doing overwatch for a supply convoy, looking at the mountains in Pakistan, and I heard Ewazen's "visions of light" in my head. I was like, "man, I miss music".
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

First, stop putting the pressure on yourself to practice 4 hours a day with that load. You can't. Or, you can, but your mind and body will hate you for it a few years down the road. Ask me how I know. Challenging yourself is important, but you must be set up for success. I would write down a list of what is most important to you, and if you need adjustments to see that you are spending more time on certain areas of your life, see that it gets done.

Second, you don't need to be practicing 4 hours a day to be making progress, maybe on that many instruments but not one or two. Spend 15 minutes planning out your practice sessions and be completely clear with exactly what you plan to improve and HOW you're going to do it, before you even get in the practice room. 2 hours will go further than 4 hours ever could if you approach it this way. Celebrate your small victories, and realize that there is always tomorrow, and there is always after your auditions are over, no matter how it goes.

I was in the best performance shape (both physically and mentally) when I was working a full time job last year, and had to maximize my practice time. Some of the worst shape I've been in my life is when I have too much time to dwell or work in an un-focused manner on things. At that time, I honestly didn't even get more than 2 hours in most days. I gave a full recital of incredibly challenging repertoire, on 1 rehearsal with my pianist, after working for 6 hours that day. It went great.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Elow

Post by Elow »

BurckhardtS wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:00 pm
Second, you don't need to be practicing 4 hours a day to be making progress, maybe on that many instruments but not one or two. Spend 15 minutes planning out your practice sessions and be completely clear with exactly what you plan to improve and HOW you're going to do it, before you even get in the practice room. 2 hours will go further than 4 hours ever could if you approach it this way. Celebrate your small victories, and realize that there is always tomorrow, and there is always after your auditions are over, no matter how it goes.

I was in the best performance shape (both physically and mentally) when I was working a full time job last year, and had to maximize my practice time. Some of the worst shape I've been in my life is when I have too much time to dwell or work in an un-focused manner on things. At that time, I honestly didn't even get more than 2 hours in most days. I gave a full recital of incredibly challenging repertoire, on 1 rehearsal with my pianist, after working for 6 hours that day. It went great.
Alright, ill try that this week. Thanks

Return to “Tangents”