Time to buy a new computer mouse

Spin your yarns here.
AndrewMeronek

Time to buy a new computer mouse

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Who has experience with testing computer mouses, specifically with regard to durability? The last several mice I've bought, the first thing to fail is the index-finger click. Consistently. And many of them are built to not be easy to take apart and clean or otherwise service.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Elow

Re: Time to buy a new computer mouse

Post by Elow »

I’ve had a razer mouse for about 4 years and it hasn’t failed me. Got it when i played video games religiously.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I would look at gaming mice, they are often built to take quite a bit of click abuse. And I would say look at Logitech. Their cheap consumer mice are probably not much better than other cheap mice, and their high-end gaming ones are all bells and whistles and weird designs that may not always be the most durable, but if you look at the less expensive gaming models (in the $40-80 range), you'll find options that are well proven, simple classic designs, all the functionalities you could need (programmable extra buttons and modulable sensitivity) , usually pretty durable hardware, for not that much money. And I've never needed it but their customer support is reportedly really good.

I've had my Logitech G3 for about 14 years now, and it's still going strong! (knocking on wood) I did a fair bit of gaming with it in the first 6 years or so, and it's always been my daily use mouse. It's been packed in suitcases and flown around a lot, never damaged. Quite astounding how sturdy it ended up being.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Just FYI, modern Logitech mice have cheaper switches used for the left and right click. I just had to retire my 9 month old G902 because it started double and triple clicking almost every other click. This is a well-documented problem, not just my own issue.

I replaced it with a Razer mouse... can't tell how long it'll last! Seems good so far.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I had an ambidextrous Razer mouse for about 2 years or so before it broke. No abuse, just daily use. I replaced that with a Logitech MX Master that I've had for almost 3 years and still works like new. And I'm not a light user!
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm Just FYI, modern Logitech mice have cheaper switches used for the left and right click. I just had to retire my 9 month old G902 because it started double and triple clicking almost every other click. This is a well-documented problem, not just my own issue.

I replaced it with a Razer mouse... can't tell how long it'll last! Seems good so far.
Yes, I've heard better things about the lower priced G models like the G203, G305 and MX518 then about the more expensive ones. Wasn't yours still covered by the warranty?
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've been using a Kensington trackball Slim Blade in my home office where I work daily for at least 10 years. Clean lint occasionally. Doesn't require charging or a mouse pad, doesn't need space to move around, doesn't hurt my wrist. I'm a CAD user and writer, so it sees a lot of daily use.

https://store.kensington.com/products/k ... rsQAvD_BwE

Last edited by hyperbolica on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

LeTromboniste wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:53 am
Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm Just FYI, modern Logitech mice have cheaper switches used for the left and right click. I just had to retire my 9 month old G902 because it started double and triple clicking almost every other click. This is a well-documented problem, not just my own issue.

Yes, I've heard better things about the lower priced G models like the G203, G305 and MX518 then about the more expensive ones. Wasn't yours still covered by the warranty?
Nope, warranty didn't count. My G502 before that died as well. To be clear, they were great mice when they worked!
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

I've had my HP mouse modded by one of the top Mouse technicians in the Northeast. Had a Razer body put on the HP guts, swapped out the left click for a Logitech switch (much more agile, especially at the top end of the page) and had my man custom build an ergonomically advanced right click, especially good for quick response in the lower case.
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Elow wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:00 pm I’ve had a razer mouse for about 4 years and it hasn’t failed me. Got it when i played video games religiously.
I currently have a Razer, and the left click is going on its way out. For all I know, it may have a piece of lint in it, but the way this mouse is designed, I have no idea how to open it up and clean it without damaging it. There are no obvious access screws.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

DDoghouse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:12 pm I've had my HP mouse modded by one of the top Mouse technicians in the Northeast. Had a Razer body put on the HP guts, swapped out the left click for a Logitech switch (much more agile, especially at the top end of the page) and had my man custom build an ergonomically advanced right click, especially good for quick response in the lower case.
Today I learned there are mouse techs. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

hyperbolica wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:16 am I've been using a Kensington trackball Slim Blade in my home office where I work daily for at least 10 years. Clean lint occasionally. Doesn't require charging or a mouse pad, doesn't need space to move around, doesn't hurt my wrist. I'm a CAD user and writer, so it sees a lot of daily use.
This. I daily use a trackball that’s at least 12-years old.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I like the idea of a trackball; space on my computer stand is limited.

What I'm using is a handful of regular wired mice I picked up at thrift stores for 50 cents or a dollar. But I might see how I like the trackball.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

FWIW - I have had good success with the Logitech M325 series. I currently have four of them, and one is so old that it was made before they put model numbers on the mice. I had to replace one maybe 2 - 3 years ago; it was one of the two I had at the time, the type with the larger plug-in receiver. My wife and I each spend anywhere from 3 - 8 hours a day in front of our devices.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

A mouse costs 20 bucks max. Just get a new one if it breaks.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm ...but the way this mouse is designed, I have no idea how to open it up and clean it without damaging it. There are no obvious access screws.
Often the screws, if “hidden”, will be under the plastic pads on the bottom of the mouse. You can pry the pads up with a small flat screwdriver, and the remaining adhesive is usually sufficient for re-sticking them when done.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am A mouse costs 20 bucks max. Just get a new one if it breaks.
You get what you pay for!
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:33 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am A mouse costs 20 bucks max. Just get a new one if it breaks.
You get what you pay for!
You don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more, sometimes less, but you always pay for what you get, fairly or not.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I used to just use cheap mice from Best Buy or whatever. My favorite one was a Logitech M185...$20 for a no-frills wireless mouse that did what it should. Never broke either. Lots of people would never need or want to upgrade.

The reason why more expensive mice are nice is because they offer things basic mice don't. I chose my MX Master for two reasons: one, it's SO comfortable in the hand. I'm at the computer a lot and I don't want to have hand/wrist problems when I'm older from using a non-ergonomic mouse (which is the category most mice fit in, especially cheap ones). This mouse is immensely comfortable and satisfying to use, and that alone is worth the price of admission. The other reason is that it also has a thumb-operated horizontal scroll wheel, which is AMAZING for Sibelius and Photoshop and other programs where you need to frequently scroll horizontally. Now I can't live without the side-scroll wheel anymore.

Cheap mice are a solved product. So are cheap computer keyboards. For most people a single one could last them for many years and they'd be perfectly happy. But it's also totally reasonable to want something nicer, especially if you use your computer a LOT and want it to be a more pleasant experience. So the techy nerds among us buy fancy mice and mechanical keyboards (which for the most part are still really not that much money in the grand scheme of things).

Plus, once you try out one of the nicer ones, it's hard to go back. It's like the first time I tried a Palomino Blackwing (the best pencil in the world). After that, even the venerable Dixon Ticonderogas felt disappointing. So now I spend $25 for 12 Blackwings instead of about 200 Ticonderogas and am happier for it.
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Love my Logitech M705 Marathon Mouse, been going on 3 years now with it still being perfect!
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 am
hyperbolica wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:16 am I've been using a Kensington trackball Slim Blade in my home office where I work daily for at least 10 years. Clean lint occasionally. Doesn't require charging or a mouse pad, doesn't need space to move around, doesn't hurt my wrist. I'm a CAD user and writer, so it sees a lot of daily use.
This. I daily use a trackball that’s at least 12-years old.
Old thread, but I bought a trackball this week.

I went with the wired Kensington Orbit because it had good reviews and it was cheap. It fits nicely on my small computer desk, works well, but.............

no scroll bar? I habitually scroll with the scroll wheel on top of the mouse, and I keep reaching for one that's not there.

It didn't occur to me there wouldn't be a scroll function.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

0n the slim blade you scroll by spinning the ball on a vertical axis.

Return to “Tangents”