Apparent online lessons scam

Spin your yarns here.
AndrewMeronek

Apparent online lessons scam

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I got two emails of the following format:

Hello,

I'm Jesus Ramos Morales, During my search for a lesson teacher that would help in taking son (Kenneth), I found your advert and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area I'm seeking for him, My son would be taking online lessons from you, I'll like to know if you can help in taking him for the lesson? just to keep him busy and refresh. Kenneth is 11 years old, So kindly let me know your charges per hour/lesson in order for me to arrange for the payment before lessons commence and Please Reply back on:

(1). Your charges per 2 hours (3 times a week for 2 Weeks): Starting from 20th July Until August 3rd 2020

(2) Total Cost For 6 class/12 hours lessons in 2 Weeks

(3). The Day you will be available to teach him During the week:

Well am very happy that i see you as my son tutor and about your years of Experience there is no problem about the lessons, My son will be with his caregiver while is taking the online lessons from you so there is no problem for the lesson to commence, my son caregiver will bring him to your location after the pandemic is over so you can teach him anywhere around you including the Library or your home if that is okay by you so i will like you to teach my son the best. I will like you to email me with your schedule for the lessons, I will like you to email me with the name on the check and Full mailing address where the check will be mailed to and including your Home and Cell phone number for my attorney to issue out a check to your before leaving the the state, you can cashed the check via mobile deposit or your bank, I will be awaiting to read from you soon with your name and address.

Best Wishes,
Jesus.

The 2nd just swapped out the name. :evil:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BGuttman

Re: Apparent online lessons scam

Post by BGuttman »

I seem to remember something like this showing up once on TTF. You are right, it's a scam.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Quite funny to use Jesus as a name to scam people.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

SwissTbone wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:28 amQuite funny to use Jesus as a name to scam people.
I doubt that it was thought of that way; it's just a common name in many Spanish-speaking countries.

I wonder what the hook is? Normally, these would involve sending you a check for more than the agreed-upon fee and asking you to send the extra money on to someone else (possibly the son's "caregiver"). I suppose that element would be introduced later.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Probably to get your email & sell it to spammers
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

It sounded fishy . . . so I just told them to send whatever check to the Evola Music store where I've taught some lessons. That seemed to put a damper on things. Then I saw that 2nd email . . . yeah, rotten fish indeed.

Definitely a huge advantage of working through a business like that for teaching, as opposed to just doing everything self-employed. The business adds a nice layer of security both for me and for the students. IMHO usually worth the lower per-lesson take, especially when I'm teaching because it's fun and I don't depend on that income.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I get these all the time. I don't know why.

Return to “Tangents”