Info on Juke Joint in TX?

Spin your yarns here.
jbeatenbough

Info on Juke Joint in TX?

Post by jbeatenbough »

When I purchased my 1946 King Liberty 2b, I discovered it had an interesting history... which made me want to research it more...

The original owner was born in 1922 in Brenham Tx and in the post war years (1946 onward), he played this horn in a group that played at a Juke Joint in Washington County Texas... his Niece thinks it was named 'Lil Sisters'.

I'm looking for any info at all about this old juke joint...

Thanks for reading!

Letter from form owner's Niece...

"This trombone belonged to by late uncle <name removed> who was born in Brenham, TX in 1922. He was my father's oldest brother. This is how I came to inherit it. My uncle was an insurance agent by trade and played the trombone on the weekends in what was called 'Lil Sisters' in Washington County, Texas. As a child in the '60s, I remember going to the juke joint and listening to the band play roaring tunes from the 20's/30's.

My uncle passed away in 2001, and I simply packed up everything and it's been in storage until now.

Hope you enjoy this instrument for many, many years to come. My heart is happy it's found a loving home, and I'm certain it will fill the room with LOVE for all to hear."
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C

Return to “Tangents”