BBQ in St louis

Spin your yarns here.
Dablauer

BBQ in St louis

Post by Dablauer »

Hello all,

I’ll be passing through at Louis in a few weeks. Are there any bbq joints I should not miss?

Thanks
David
Vegastokc

Re: BBQ in St louis

Post by Vegastokc »

Keep driving and come to KC. Think of it as very west St Louis. :lol:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Dablauer

Post by Dablauer »

I completely agree. I spent 20 yrs in Lawrence, I’m a fan of kc bbq. However, sadly, I can’t make it this time.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They cook barbeque outside of North Carolina? I have never heard of that before!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I'm pretty sure Pappy's Smokehosue is the spot I went to when I was last there. I went based on a recommendation from a friend who's from there.

It was great! But I've never had bad BBQ
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:48 pm They cook barbeque outside of North Carolina? I have never heard of that before!
Oh snap! :shock:
I'm not falling for that trap.
It would be better to discuss politics and religion than enter into a debate about BBQ on an open forum. :P
Michael Saffier
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Vegastokc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:42 am It would be better to discuss politics and religion than enter into a debate about BBQ on an open forum. :P
Or a debate about chili. Or pizza. :horror:
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am
Vegastokc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:42 am It would be better to discuss politics and religion than enter into a debate about BBQ on an open forum. :P
Or a debate about chili. Or pizza. :horror:
KC does not have much of a dog in the fight for chili or pizza. Or Chinese food. Or Mexican food...
Its all about that brisket and burnt ends.
Also very decent Italian food city wide. (there is a "rumor" that a certain group ran this town once...)
Michael Saffier
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Vegastokc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 pm Its all about that brisket and burnt ends.
and that's a problem how? :D
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

JohnL wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:22 pm
Vegastokc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 pm Its all about that brisket and burnt ends.
and that's a problem how? :D
No problem...No problem at all.
Michael Saffier
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Vegastokc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:42 am
harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:48 pm They cook barbeque outside of North Carolina? I have never heard of that before!
Oh snap! :shock:
I'm not falling for that trap.
It would be better to discuss politics and religion than enter into a debate about BBQ on an open forum. :P
I'm from Massachusetts, one of the 48 1/2 states where you cannot make barbeque. There is no tradition of barbeque here, so I feel qualified to give an unbiased take on what the truth is, having tried BBQ all over the USA and with no hometown stake in the bbq game. The only barbeque we knew about were Chinese pork strips and spare ribs. There was a "BBQ" joint near UMass, but they BOILED the ribs... We thought that "barbeque" was something you did in your backyard with a grill, like they do in Texas.

It wasn't until I found myself at a whole hog "pig pickin'" on a beach in NC that I got it. I walked away a different person. They do nearly the same thing in Hawaii, minus the vinegar sauce (the beach is better), but they don't call it barbeque there and I don't think they are trying to claim the title for themselves. Respect to Hawaii for being awesome and not trying to "Bragg" about it.

:tongue:
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:17 pm I'm from Massachusetts, one of the 48 1/2 states where you cannot make barbeque. There is no tradition of barbeque here, so I feel qualified to give an unbiased take on what the truth is, ...
Harrison, apparently you never ventured into the Roxbury neighborhood in Boston. At least during the time I lived there many years ago (1970s), I found a pretty good barbeque spot somewhere near Mass Ave and (perhaps) Washington Street (it's been a very long time). Complete with two sides and white bread toast (never my favorite). As I recall, the meat was good – and certainly not boiled!

Now, almost 50 years later, I've tasted both Texas & Kansas City style BBQ. If authentic (properly smoked, etc.) it's much better. :good: (You can have the vinegary Carolina style, though). :shuffle:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'm fairly certain there would be a violation of quantum mechanics if "barbeque" was actually achieved in Boston outside of Chinatown. Maybe this place in Roxbury you're talking about is actually some causality smudge created by some happy stroke of chance in the particle colliders beneath MIT. You think it's in Roxbury, but the door actually weaves you into NC.

FWIW, I do enjoy the vinegar sauce the most, but acknowledge it's not for everyone. Luckily NC has at least 3 styles going for it, and the differences mostly come down to what you do with whatever sauce you're given, if you get a choice.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I don't think it was N.C., Harrison. Thick tomatoey sauce, not thin and vinegary. I was the only white-skinned customer in the store in that mostly black neighborhood. But I felt welcomed, and they appreciated my business, even in those very segregated times. BBQ was part of that culture – you just may not have ever crossed the invisible line! :idk:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:12 pm I don't think it was N.C., Harrison. Thick tomatoey sauce, not thin and vinegary. I was the only white-skinned customer in the store in that mostly black neighborhood. But I felt welcomed, and they appreciated my business, even in those very segregated times. BBQ was part of that culture – you just may not have ever crossed the invisible line! :idk:
I was just having fun, stoking the flames of BBQ rivalries. Wow....
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Pappy’s and the Sugarfire. Salt & Smoke BBQ Bourbon and Beer. Killer brisket.

Fridge
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:21 pm I was just having fun, stoking the flames of BBQ rivalries. Wow....
HaHaHa - like I said earlier, I am staying away from that discussion.
Although I will admit that there is something wonderfully delightful about a pulled pork sando with fresh coleslaw (one of the three aforementioned NC styles, I believe). Equally as sublime as a plate of burnt ends.

The irony for me in all this is that after 20 years in KC (originally from Las Vegas hence the user name) we are working on relocating to the Charlotte area late spring next year. I am sure I will pine alittle for the smokey sweet fatty KC bbq whilst I am scarfing another Carolina whole hog sandwich. :D
Michael Saffier

Return to “Tangents”