1938: Too much swing already

Spin your yarns here.
robcat2075

1938: Too much swing already

Post by robcat2075 »

From an article on the continuing debate regarding the government's proper role in ensuring freedom of speech on the airwaves and yet also preventing abuse of those airwaves.

The FCC addresses some citizen complaints...

BachSwinging.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Re: 1938: Too much swing already

Post by BGuttman »

There was a lot of "appropriating" of classical music into jazz tunes in the Swing Era, Glenn Miller had his "Song of the Volga Boatmen". Tommy Dorsey had "Song of India". The Broadway show "Kismet" used tunes from the Polovetsian Dances. These are just a few that come to mind.

And there are always Fuddy-Duddies who treat any change from the original as a travesty. "Blue Moon" as a Rock tune? Horrors!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

A lot of this was caused by ASCAP raising fees through the 30s by nearly 500%. When the organization tried to double broadcast license fees in 1940, broadcasters stopped playing ASCAP licensed songs and formed BMI. The songs Bruce mentioned were played a lot. BMI also licensed country and R&B, which were disdained by ASCAP.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 am A lot of this was caused by ASCAP raising fees through the 30s by nearly 500%. When the organization tried to double broadcast license fees in 1940, broadcasters stopped playing ASCAP licensed songs and formed BMI. The songs Bruce mentioned were played a lot. BMI also licensed country and R&B, which were disdained by ASCAP.
When I was in college one of the teachers used this to explain the proliferation of awful classical and public domain-tune based jazz pieces in that era.

It makes sense until it doesn't.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Tangents”