Worst forgetful moments?

Spin your yarns here.
Trombonjon

Re: Worst forgetful moments?

Post by Trombonjon »

One of my friends, a trumpet player played with the local symphony. The orchestra had begun to fine the musicians that came to performances inappropriately dressed because it had become a problem. My friend forgot his bow tie and he had to resort to taking one one of his black socks, wrapping it around his shirt collar, and proceed to play with his chin down for the entire performance to avoid being noticed.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Moved to Tangents because this is not really performance practice.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
sf105

Post by sf105 »

got a text message, "everything OK for this weekend?". It was for a play day for a piece I'd wanted to do for years (Rehearsal Orchestra).

I was in the wrong country. I'd forgotten to put it in the diary.

Luckily I'd built up a lot of credit over the years, so (I think) the relationship survived.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

My most recent mistake was to NOT read the dress-code at a high class gig at a high class hotel in Stockholm. I came in the usual outfit which is black suit, white shirt and a black tie, but at this gig we were supposed to wear a tuxedo. The band leader wasn't very pleased. In our band the trombonesection also sits in the first row and play above the stands so we can not hide behind saxes
It looked bad with one person in black tie when all others properly have a bow tie and especially "not cool" since this was a very classy party. The band leader asked me to do something about it. This is what I did. At a distance I don't think anybody noticed but worst was the pauses when I had to pass a crowded dancefloor. At those times audience often want to shake hands and say a few words and that felt very awkward. I just tried to look as comfortable and normal as possible. Nobody noticed, at least nobody acted as they did. Actually the band leader was very impressed with what I had done to my tie to solve the situation. He even asked to take my picture.

Worst bow tie ever :hi:

/Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

A valiant effort. You can always tie any long tie (unless it's ridiculously thick) as a bow tie if you have to, using the narrow end as the front of the knot. Send the leftover wide tail down into the shirt and you're done.

Like uncorking a wine bottle using a shoe, this is one of those skills you don't need, until you do.

ridiculous.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

ithinknot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:54 pm A valiant effort. You can always tie any long tie (unless it's ridiculously thick) as a bow tie if you have to, using the narrow end as the front of the knot. Send the leftover wide tail down into the shirt and you're done.

Like uncorking a wine bottle using a shoe, this is one of those skills you don't need, until you do.

ridiculous.jpg
Thank you! You are right, this is something you realise is knowledge you need when it is to late to practice a bow tie. :hi:

/Tom
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

imsevimse wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:31 am .....
Worst bow tie ever :hi:
Oh, I've seen a lot worse.

It wasn't made out of electrical tape.

So, none of these are mine; but I have been stage or house manager for a professional group with some very high profile players.

They have forgotten:
-Horns (only a few panicked trips)
-Mutes (We now have a collection)
-Instrument stands (These now live with the mutes)
-Pants (I went to a department store and bought some... more than once)
-Socks (Thanks, KMart!)
-More bowties than I can count (seriously, I keep one in my car for them; gets used 1 out of 4 concerts)
-Tympani (Ok, this was a prank, but we were hoping for more of a reaction)
-Percussion stools
-Accessory percussion shouldn't count; I think those are community property that belong to all.
-Rental cars (how do you lose a car that isn't stolen?)
-Flights (seriously, you had 3 hours that you weren't on a plane and you couldn't call?!)

This is why when anybody asks me what I do as a house manager, my answer is "well, it depends..."

Cheers,
Andy
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

ithinknot wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:54 pm A valiant effort. You can always tie any long tie (unless it's ridiculously thick) as a bow tie if you have to, using the narrow end as the front of the knot. Send the leftover wide tail down into the shirt and you're done.

ridiculous.jpg
I think everyone will notice the tie and miss the plaid shirt. How many attempts were required prior to achieving that?
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

elmsandr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:09 pm This is why when anybody asks me what I do as a house manager, my answer is "well, it depends..."
Allow me to suggest that the correct answer to the question is "yes".

You know those Harmon "Triple Play" (i.e., cup/straight/plunger) mutes? I don't think they'd be anyone's first (or second, or even third) choice, but they're really handy when someone in your section forgets their mutes. Stuff a sock or two into the cup and it's a emergency bucket mute, too.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

OneTon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:51 pm I think everyone will notice the tie and miss the plaid shirt. How many attempts were required prior to achieving that?
Zero - it went on and off as quickly as possible, for fear that low flying aircraft might mistake me for an early-career Tucker Carlson. I'm not sure I could live with the shame.
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

This wasn’t me, but a couple of years ago the conductor of the orchestra I play with forgot his shirt studs and cuff links, and I happened to have an extra set of studs, so I leant him my good stuff , rolled up my sleeves and used the extras (the black plastic things that come with tux shirts).

Return to “Tangents”