Old Orchestral Oddities

Spin your yarns here.
robcat2075

Old Orchestral Oddities

Post by robcat2075 »

The NYC premiere of Heldenleben, in the more is more age:
NYP-1900-12-08.jpg

Maud Powell with a bit of forgotten repertoire. Maud Powell used to tour with the Sousa Band!
NYP-1901-01-12.jpg

Hip, Hip, Horatio! Parker is most remembered to day as a teacher of Charles Ives.
Ernst von Dohnányi was the grandfather of the recent Cleveland Orchestra conductor, Cristoph.
NYP-1901-02-15.jpg

The Trombone and Tuba feature (?) figures on quite a few children's concerts in the 1920s era.
NYP-1924-03-22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
2bobone

Re: Old Orchestral Oddities

Post by 2bobone »

"Hip, Hip, Horatio! Parker is most remembered to day as a teacher of Charles Ives.
Ernst von Dohnányi was the grandfather of the recent Cleveland Orchestra conductor, Cristoph."

Horatio Parker should also be credited with a compositional technique in which he attempted to accommodate the reverberant characteristics of a cathedral by writing one part of a solo line to be reinforced by the same line repeated one beat later and then allowing the "decay" of that line to be similarly addressed. It was a bit confusing to the orchestral musicians, but the listeners were somewhat less so. It didn't catch on ---- I wonder why ?
BGuttman

Re: Old Orchestral Oddities

Post by BGuttman »

Children's concerts get the brass solos. Orchestral concerts get piano or string solos.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Tangents”