Elgar at the Commonwealth Games

Spin your yarns here.
robcat2075

Elgar at the Commonwealth Games

Post by robcat2075 »

Most Americans will be unaware that there is a set of games, rather like the Olympics, held among the nations of the former British Empire AKA "The Commonwealth".

Like the Olympics it has opening ceremonies staged by the host city, Birmingham. Among the sights... mechanical Edward Elgar!

>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
VJOFan

Re: Elgar at the Commonwealth Games

Post by VJOFan »

Wacky stuff!

This edition is not generating a lot of heat though. Even here in Canada- one of the most “Commonwealthy” of nations- there is little coverage.

The Olympics and many world championships were late in the four year cycle (ahem, Covid!) so the Commonwealth games have been kind of stepped on. For example, most of our top track and field athletes are staying home because the world’s were last week!

But there are still about 10 days left in the program so there is still time for things to develop.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

They should call it the "Countries that got invaded by England games." Or the "Places where people know the rules to cricket games."

Glad to see that Andrew Cotter has a gig other than making videos of his dogs, although those are quite entertaining.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

robcat2075 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:46 am Most Americans will be unaware that there is a set of games, rather like the Olympics, held among the nations of the former British Empire AKA "The Commonwealth".
It's interesting how many events of this sort take place. Some are regional, like the Pan American Games and the African Games, others are based on cultural ties, like the Commonwealth Games and the Jeux de la Francophonie, while others have some other commonality between the competing parties, like the Island Games.

Return to “Tangents”