I need help! Wife delivering baby! Trombonists near Cleveland or Akron!

Spin your yarns here.
SlideCrook

Post by SlideCrook »

I need help from someone near Cleveland or Akron Ohio.

I won a few auction items through an Auction House called All Around Auctions in Valley City, Ohio, where they liquidated a music store.

I won a new King 606 trombone, plus a few other odds and ends. By the terms of the auctions, I had to put in a debit card during registration. I’ve paid for the items. I had every intent of driving there to pick the items up. No, a King 606 is nothing to rave over, but I bought it to upgrade my 7th grader’s trombone.

The pickup time for this auction ends this Saturday, and I cannot make it, as my wife went into labor and we just delivered a 7lb 8oz baby boy! We live a few hours from there, and I can’t afford child support that will come from the day trip from me going to pick it up a day or two after the birth of our new baby.

My humble request is that someone from the Cleveland or Akron Ohio area can go pick the items up for me. Auction terms state that the items can be picked up with a paid-in-full receipt, which I have, and can send the willing soul.

My plan is for you to hold onto the items (trombone, mouthpieces, a trombone stand) for a week or two until I can come get it.

You hold the trombone and other items as collateral, and I can give you a case of beer or a bottle of bourbon and gas money for your troubles.

Please let me know if you can help.

Evan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrianJohnston

Re: I need help! Wife delivering baby! Trombonists near Cleveland or Akron!

Post by BrianJohnston »

I know a trumpet player in the area who would be happy receiving alcohol as payment. I'll PM you, you can say you got his name from me.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Pm sent.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I picked up the trombone and the other items this morning. Glad to help a fellow trombonist, and get some free beer too!
Greg Songer
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

It is nice to see trombonists stepping up. But, Greg, you need to watch your waistline... by sharing that beer. Just a thought!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

greenbean wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:10 pm It is nice to see trombonists stepping up. But, Greg, you need to watch your waistline... by sharing that beer. Just a thought!
Sure I'll share! I'll drink the beer, you can have the empty bottles. :D
Greg Songer
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

:shuffle: I'm glad that things have gone well with this; I was a little concerned when I read the original post. With all the recent scammer warnings we were expected to trust someone called "SlideCrook"!!! :shuffle: :good:

What a benevolent and trusting lot we have on this forum.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Kingfan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:15 pm
greenbean wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:10 pm It is nice to see trombonists stepping up. But, Greg, you need to watch your waistline... by sharing that beer. Just a thought!
Come on, man, if you're gonna share beer, ya gotta do it right! Run it through your liver, rebottle it, and pass it on. :twisted:
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

sungfw wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:38 pm
Kingfan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:15 pm
Come on, man, if you're gonna share beer, ya gotta do it right! Run it through your liver, rebottle it, and pass it on. :twisted:
I like the way you think! :mrgreen:
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I have had trouble getting communication from SlideCrook. I picked up the horn and a few accessories early August. I followed up after not hearing from him, got an e-mail he was busy. He asked for a quote on shipping on Aug. 26th, I gave it, crickets since. I sent a followup email to his personal and work e-mails on Oct. 28th, no response. I'm storing a new old stock King 606, two Herco tuba mouthpieces, three French horn mouthpiece cases, and a few other accessories. At what point do I start charging storage fees? If after six months, should I sell off the stuff and reimburse his costs, pocketing the profit (or splitting the profit)?

"No good deed goes unpunished."
Greg Songer
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I am tempted to say "that is unacceptable!" but then I remembered... They had a baby! I remember not being able to come up for air for about 5 months! (And our baby was "easy.") So, I suspect the baby has a lot to do with it.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Kudos to you, Kingfan, for trying to help this guy out !!! :good:
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out.

SlideCrook joined this forum in 2020, and was actively posting until August 3, 2022 when he made the plea for help that initiated this problem. He has not posted since.
I suspect that this deal has somehow caused SlideCrook problems at his house, and his solution is to just stop all communication and walk away. That leaves you with no alternative except to put him on notice of your intent to sell the goods. Then do it. That's pretty cold reality, but a better plan is not possible if he will not communicate.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

greenbean wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:43 pm I am tempted to say "that is unacceptable!" but then I remembered... They had a baby! I remember not being able to come up for air for about 5 months! (And our baby was "easy.") So, I suspect the baby has a lot to do with it.
That could very well be true, but how much effort does it take to respond to an e-mail?
Greg Songer
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Whatever you decide to do, CYA.

If I were in your position and wanted/needed the stuff to be gone, I would send Slidecrook a certified letter (assuming I could find a home or a work address) with return receipt service, stating that if the stuff isn't picked up by a specified date,* I intend to sell it. I would further stipulate that he will receive a percentage of the proceeds, up to the amount he paid if the proceeds of the sale (minus expenses, i.e., the cost of the certified letter) exceed the amount he paid, or a stated percentage** of the proceeds (minus expenses), if they fall short of that amount. The signature on the return receipt will serve as proof that he received the letter and had sufficient time to act on it, should a dispute arise over the disposition of the property.

* Based on my lawyer's advice when giving notice to creditors of an estate, I would allow a minimum of 30 days.

** The percentage doesn't matter (within reason): what matters is that the percentage is clearly stated in writing. (Get signed, dated receipts showing the items purchased and the amount(s) paid for the items from the buyers. Again, CYA.)
KWL

Post by KWL »

(In my best James May voice) Does this mean you won't be sharing any beer?
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Just sell it or donate it to Goodwill or better yet, donate it to your local high school music program. But know this, that if you do as I just suggested, you WILL run into him at your local grocery store or there-a-bouts. It's a physics quantum theory principle that has as yet be defined. Don't trip and fall over it. It's not worth it.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

When I was a boy, an opening like that would have gotten a Butterfly McQueen joke in the first reply.

Truly a mysterious saga. He's paid for the horn but now won't claim it.

I'm going to say it's not about the trombone. The trombone carries a super NSA code chip that Slidecrook was supposed to obtain for some nefarious foreign power. He sent KingFan to go pick it up in case the Feds had caught wind of the plan and were staking out the drop.

However, Slidecrook has since been disappeared or incapacitated. Kingfan unknowingly holds the secret information on which the fate of civilization depends.

That's how the 80s spy movie would start. Starring Eddie Murphy.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Kingfan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:40 pm At what point do I start charging storage fees? If after six months, should I sell off the stuff and reimburse his costs, pocketing the profit (or splitting the profit)?

"No good deed goes unpunished."
It would be best to consult a local attorney prior to disposing of the property. The hurdles may not be steep but following local laws could spare further trouble down the road. There could be legitimate reasons for the communication lapse. It was good of you to try to help.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

It all ended well. I sent a snail mail and he responded. He PayPaled me the money to ship it to him and added a generous bonus. Horn reached him yesterday and for once UPS didn't damage it.
Greg Songer

Return to “Tangents”