FS: King 2280

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
Matt K

FS: King 2280

Post by Matt K » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 am

Just bought myself a physical server so I'm trying to save some space and pay for the unnecessary hardware I just bought. Also quarerly taxes. So much fun.

Anyway, bought this a few years ago; played with the Utah Wind Symphony a few times with it (to be fair I also used a borrowed Willson euph because why would you turn down someone letting you borrow a euph that is a non-negligible portion of your salary). Plays very well, particularly with Doug's EUPH series. Easy to play high register, F side is surprisingly in tune if you just add an extra valve. E.g. Eb is 1+2+4 rather than 1+4 like on a compensating. Low B is still accessible because of the F side tuning slide but not for super fast passages... not that I've ever had to play a low B on Euph for anything with dexterity...

Comes with an Alteri gig bag. I can also include a guitar foot pedal if you want mine. I use it every time I play Euph. Makes it much ergonomic. Could also be persuaded to sell with my Elliott Euph piece if you wanted that as well. EUPH104N(L)/EuphK/K8 or K9.

I'll post pictures and price... probably later today. If you're in the market, send me an email and I'll definitely be able to get back to you faster.
Matt K

Re: FS: King 2280

Post by Matt K » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tUe4I ... irK3evYadA

I can do $975 for the bag + the euph if you cover shipping.

-Matt
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:54 pm

It looks like the 3rd valve spring and lever are removed? Am I missing something? Do you still have the parts?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:01 pm

If its like the Conn 19I that I have, there is no lever on the 3rd valve slide. I took the spring off the slide and it sits inside the tube. Might be able to fish it out with a hook if you really want it. I found the spring to be a PITA -- the valve is sharp with the slide full in and it was more convenient to just move the slide with the finger ring.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:30 pm

It was standard equipment on the 2280. It would be nice to know what if anything is modified on the instrument.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:37 am

Oh that's what that's for. No, it did not come with whomever I purchased it from. It looks like it probably actually takes a trumpet ring as my Yamaha trumpet ring fits through it, though with no lever. Its a King so I'm certain the parts are both cheap and readily available. As far as I'm aware the horn is otherwise unmodified (if you can call losing a part modified!). I've never been a fan of any of the levers for euphs; I always elect to use alternate fingerings. I'll check with the shop about ordering them if anyone is interested.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 am

The 3rd valve uses something like a 3rd valve ring on a trumpet. As I said before, the spring mechanism keeps the 3rd valve slide fully in all the time so you have to pull on it in order to play in tune. If found it preferable to remove the spring and just use the ring as a trumpet player would. Most Euph players I know don't bother with the 3rd slide anyway -- some will play with the 1st valve slide like the tuba players do and others just lip notes (if they care about intonation at all).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 am

This is non-compensating but I can still tune it so that 2+3 is in tune which is basically all I use it for. It's pretty set and forget. THen for 1+2+3 I use 1+3 instead and for 1+3 I just use 4. The orientation of the F slides are a godsend on this thing. They aren't able to be actuated super quickly but if you hvae 2-3 seconds you can move them surprisingly far.
Matt K

Re: FS: King 2280 $915 shipped

Post by Matt K » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Price drop ($915 shipped)

Hey all, sorry I've been awol. I'm consulting on the epidemic at the moment so I've been working like 36/7. If anyone ordered something from me in the last few weeks, everything just went out the door a few minutes ago but I'll contact you individually soon if tracking is applicable.

As for this Euph, I've decided to let this go for $915 including shipping CONUS. However, handling will take about a week. What I do is order a box and peanuts from UHaul, which takes ~5 business days to arrive. I let that sit in my front entrance for 72 hours and then I package stuff up and have USPS come and pick it up for me. International is OK if you pay some of shipping. We can cross that bridge if you're interested.

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”