WTB Small and Large Tenor Soft tone mutes

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
mrdeacon

WTB Small and Large Tenor Soft tone mutes

Post by mrdeacon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi guys!

Looking for one large and one small tenor soft tone mute. Like everyone else in the world I'm looking for practice mutes right now so I don't piss off the roommates and the neighbors.

My priority is the small tenor soft tone mute but again I do want both! Most dealers are shut down so it's nigh impossible to find one new right now.

Thanks!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1960s, Symington 1.5 ZR
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Symington 1.5 ZR
Matt K

Re: WTB Small and Large Tenor Soft tone mutes

Post by Matt K » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Just a heads up that they do make you softer but... honestly not that much. Not enough to take you from annoying the neighbors to not annoying the neighbors... more like you want to warm up in a corner of backstage where you can make noise but not too much noise.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:41 pm

How are they in terms of intonation, back pressure?
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:45 pm

Matt K wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:24 pm
Just a heads up that they do make you softer but... honestly not that much. Not enough to take you from annoying the neighbors to not annoying the neighbors... more like you want to warm up in a corner of backstage where you can make noise but not too much noise.
Yep! Which is why I'm looking for them.

Enough to cut down on the decibels but not exactly a full-on practice mute. I have my best brass and shhh mutes if I want to actually be quite.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Bach5G wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:41 pm
How are they in terms of intonation, back pressure?
It's a bucket mute when hanging half off the bell and a "practice mute" well fully covered.

To be honest the backpressure is super funky when fully draped over the bell so I like to use the "bucket mute" mode as a practice mute on my bass.

It's the only "practice" mute I've found so far that lets me play in the basement without having obscene amounts of backpressure or super wonky intonation.

Like I said in my other comment. The purpose isn't exactly to be "quite" with one of these but to just cut down on the decibels. I also love how lightweight they are. I can just toss the mute in my shoulder bag and practice at a park or find somewhere to practice on my break at work without being too much of a bother.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was wondering.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 pm

I had a big problem with my Softone until I learned that you have to "inflate" it. I put it over the bell and blow until it inflates to a nice shape. Then when I play the intonation improves dramatically.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:20 pm

BGuttman wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 pm
I had a big problem with my Softone until I learned that you have to "inflate" it. I put it over the bell and blow until it inflates to a nice shape. Then when I play the intonation improves dramatically.
Ohhh? That makes sense! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that out.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Just don't cut holes in it. Ira Nepus finds out you cut holes in it he'll come find you!
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:33 pm

I think that Dillon's in NJ and Hickeys in Ithaca are still open for online sales. You might find what you're looking for there.

Jim Scott

Return to “(Classifieds) Everything Else”