New from Wisconsin

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
johndingmansr

New from Wisconsin

Post by johndingmansr »

Hi all,

Brief history, I grew up in Michigan, I was a lower brass player all through school, competed in musical competitions all over the State, I played a Baritone and a Valve Trombone in Jazz Band, (I know, it is not a slide Trombone :hi: ) I currently play Trumpet and just acquired a valve trombone (Getzen Eterna) I have always loved the rich velvety sound of a trombone. Not that I would ever compare myself to theses great artists, but several artists have proven that this can be done, so I know that playing between a Trumpet and Trombone is very doable with a LOT of practice which I don't mind as I seem to be one of those people that Loves to practice. Even though I have a Valve trombone I can play a slide trombone but I am just more comfortable on a valve trombone.

I found this sight and thought I would read some of the posts and maybe pick up a few pointers along the way.

I will now begin the never ending search for the perfect mouthpiece :wink:
Vegastokc

Re: New from Wisconsin

Post by Vegastokc »

Welcome!
I have some family in the Madison area. Wisco is a beautiful state. And has a rich brass history (Getzen, Edwards, Holton...)
(Not to mention Youngblood Brass Band started in Oregon, WI).

You will have no problems getting many great pointers regarding a mouthpiece.
It is a frequent informative (and civil :P ) topic of discussion. :D
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome! Slide or valve, a trombone is a trombone to me. so glad to have you here. As far as the never-ending search for the perfect mouthpiece, there is a member here named Doug Elliott. He makes separate screw-together mouthpiece parts where you can choose the shank, cup, and rim combination that fits you best. He can Skype with you and once he sees/hears you play can make recommendations. He helped me avoid a whole bunch of rabbit holes and steered me to the right combo. http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Kingfan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:24 pm Welcome! Slide or valve, a trombone is a trombone to me. so glad to have you here. As far as the never-ending search for the perfect mouthpiece, there is a member here named Doug Elliott. He makes separate screw-together mouthpiece parts where you can choose the shank, cup, and rim combination that fits you best. He can Skype with you and once he sees/hears you play can make recommendations. He helped me avoid a whole bunch of rabbit holes and steered me to the right combo. http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/
Seconded :good:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Return to “News & Announcements”