Doug Elliott LB shanks

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
fishbassbone

Doug Elliott LB shanks

Post by fishbassbone »

I am an amateur bass trombonist who plays in a variety of settings. I use DE K and L cups, and have been using K8 and L8 shanks. But my horn is a Edwards 454 with dual bore slide, and I understand that size 9 shanks may be better suited to dual bore slides. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of 8 vs 9 shank? Is it a matter of airflow resistance, and what effect does more or less resistance have?
Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Doug Elliott LB shanks

Post by BGuttman »

I found the 9 shank to be a bit of an air hog. But maybe it's good for you. There is no written rule about what goes with what. I actually use an L7 shank (was available back when I bought my setup) and prefer that. But I'm me and not you. Now I think the large shanks are 8, 9, and 10.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

About 8 or 9 years ago, I had an Edwards 454 with a dual bore slide, too. I alternated between Hammond 20 series and DE’s with either a K or an L cup. When I played with DE mpcs, I felt the sound and response were better with the 9 shanks. That slide and the more open profile of the 9 shank take a LOT of air.

I found that when I could breathe in and out without restriction, and I was relaxed enough to blow with a very large and steady stream of air, the horn responded wonderfully. However, it took a lot of energy and endurance to play with that setup for an extended period, and maintain a beautiful sound and phrasing.

Really, though, it is up to you. Record yourself, and ask your teacher and section mates which sound they prefer.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Doug does recommend the 9 shank with a dual bore, fwiw.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

My #9 backbores have a little more taper than #8 backbores and generally work well in dual bores but not so well in single bores. I am revamping all of them so you might want to try new ones.

I would not say they take a lot of air. In the right horn they're actually more efficient. Playing a brass instrument is about creating an acoustic wave, it's not really about air flow.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
fishbassbone

Post by fishbassbone »

Thanks, everyone
Doug, when will the new ones be available?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Available now... Or at least soon when I make more.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “News & Announcements”