Covid Policy

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
Matt K
Verified

Covid Policy

Post by Matt K »

Hi everyone, the moderators have been talking about this a few days, and we came up with this:

Any Covid talk is fine, and since it affects all of us very personally, no restrictions on talking about how the restrictions are affecting you. However, generalizations about swaths of people are unproductive, particularly since presumably all members of that group aren't members of TBC. Placing blame on leaders is likewise unproductive as they are also not present.

And I am reluctant to provide examples out of fear of patronizing, but I feel like it is the easiest way for me to communicate what we are talking about. So to clarify:

Unproductive:
Elbonians are all morons who want to kill me and all of my relatives. And while not all elbonians are bad, all bad things are because of Elbonians.
Productive:
I know you were invited to attend an Elbonian event, but I would strongly advise you to not attend because it seems the protocols they have in place are unsafe and I've seen protocols at similar events that are definitely unsafe and can be superspreader events. And remember that something that just unsafe for you has a high probability of being deadly for others. If you can avoid that event, it would not only be in your best interest but the best interest of those you love and care for as well.
Unproductive:
Julius Caesar and his followers don't care about anybody and are solely responsible for [100% of the deaths and misery/all of the unemployment from lockdown/etc.].
Productive:
We are currently locked down because of a rule imposed by Julius Caesar, and it is causing a lot of financial duress for my family and a lot of my acquaintances because of this policy as well.
Productive:
Romulus has done a good job. New Zeland has had almost no instances of Covid 19, and I think it was because of [policy x]. I think if we adopted [policy x, y, z], we would see improvements.
Remember, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar. There are probably few people in this country who have taken more precautions than my family has, and I too, wish that people would take this more seriously. I'm likewise in disagreement with the policies of the state I am in and the country I am in and believe there probably were things that could have been done differently, particularly with the benefit of hindsight, that would have resulted in fewer deaths. However, cutesy nicknames ("Ron Deathsantis", "Gretchen Whitchmer", etc.) and generalizations such as "politicians and their supporters are responsible for a lot of the misery" are obviously contentious statements, and it is impossible for me to see these types of statements in any other light. This type of language is woefully counterproductive, and no matter how angry you are, that anger will not convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

We are in unanimous agreement that this disease needs to be taken seriously, and so we feel the best thing we can do is keep well-reasoned arguments on-point and away from language that is going to polarize people away from taking all of the precautions that they can afford to take. We, frankly, have little influence on anybody but the people here. Nothing we do will make a governor, much less a president or prime minister have a change of heart, enact any policy, or otherwise be seen by anybody who is not already here. But we can change the minds of the people who are here and, in turn, maybe change the minds of people who are in their direct sphere.
Cotboneman

Re: Covid Policy

Post by Cotboneman »

Thank you for posting this very policy, which I intend to adhere to. There is plenty of blame to be assessed all around for this tragedy, but that's not going to protect those of us trying to get through it, replace incomes gone or bring back those whom we have all sadly lost. It is my fervent wish that we all remain safe and healthy, and once this pandemic finally does end, can return to doing what we love most, playing the trombone productively in our ensembles.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I hate Elbonians!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:34 pm I hate Elbonians!
Would you rather have Lower Slobovians?

For the uninitiated: Lower Slobovia was a creation by Al Capp in the cartoon Lil' Abner. They were an early version of the Elbonians created by Scott Adams for the cartoon Dilbert.

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Matt K wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am Unproductive:
Julius Caesar and his followers don't care about anybody and are solely responsible for [100% of the deaths and misery/all of the unemployment from lockdown/etc.].
Productive:
We are currently locked down because of a rule imposed by Julius Caesar, and it is causing a lot of financial duress for my family and a lot of my acquaintances because of this policy as well.
Why should Caesar get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smooshed under his big feet? Whats so great about Caesar? Hmm? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar. Brutus is just as smart as Caesar. People totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar. And when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody? Huh? Because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just STAB CAESAR!
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

spencercarran wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 am
Matt K wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am Unproductive:
Productive:
Why should Caesar get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smooshed under his big feet? Whats so great about Caesar? Hmm? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar. Brutus is just as smart as Caesar. People totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar. And when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody? Huh? Because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just STAB CAESAR!
NEXT!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

spencercarran wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 am Why should Caesar get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smooshed under his big feet? Whats so great about Caesar? Hmm? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar. Brutus is just as smart as Caesar. People totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar. And when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody? Huh? Because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just STAB CAESAR!
Et tu spencer?
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...

Return to “News & Announcements”