Trombone Chat Brass Choir Christmas Video

MrHCinDE

Re: Trombone Chat Brass Choir Christmas Video

Post by MrHCinDE »

My Tenor 2 video is up now also.

Enjoy putting it all together! I certainly had fun working on my small part of it. Thanks for the idea.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 am Note to MStarke - you said you might do bass 2. I got Neo to send me an audio of that part, so I have that one doubled. But I still don't have bass 1 or 3, so if you want to do one of those, feel free.
Hi, at least I will not be able to record it today. Maybe I find a slot in the next days, but don't count on it...
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Coming to the party late, as always. I haven't read through the whole thread yet but wondering if there is anything left that you need covered, tenor or bass. I just got my rig set up, would love to use it for something!
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Dan, there's a signup sheet here:

You can sign up for any part that doesn't have two names (Mike wants to limit us to 24).

The first post in the thread has the upload location for finished videos as well as a backing track (with or without clicks).

All parts are available in MuseScore and as PDFs but you'll have to trudge through the thread to find the location.

Welcome!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I still don't have Bass 1 or 3 or Tenor 3 or 6. Given that Joey wrote the arrangement and is signed up to play T6, I imagine it will be forthcoming soon. I can cover any tenor parts that don't get done, but I can't do all those pedal Fs on the bass lines, at least not well enough for anyone else to listen to it.

For anyone wanting to get in on this at the last minute, the backup tracks are here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

And the music pdfs are here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 am Here is a draft of the audio mix so far. Very rough - I haven't messed with levels or reverb yet.

I wonder if the audio might need to be nudged to get everyone to line up. The last gliss might be the spot to look at. The triplet sections especially are not lining up.

I think we all knew it would be a challenge to get the audio lined up with everyone.

Harrison - like I said it's a draft. I haven't dug in deep to line everything up yet.

What I have learned from doing a bunch of there is that even 2 good players with excellent time can end up in different spots relative to the backup track. This happens due to differences in equipment, recording setups, etc. I end up zooming way in in Cakewalk and using the waveforms to line everything up.
glenp

Post by glenp »

I posted an update a little while ago but I think my phone ate it. 🙄

I recorded a take last night but I wasn’t happy with it; it wasn’t clean enough. I’ll do another take today; should have it uploaded tonight.
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:08 am I still don't have Bass 1 or 3 or Tenor 3 or 6. Given that Joey wrote the arrangement and is signed up to play T6, I imagine it will be forthcoming soon. I can cover any tenor parts that don't get done, but I can't do all those pedal Fs on the bass lines, at least not well enough for anyone else to listen to it.
I did an audio take on bass 1 today. I'll see if I can do the video when I redo my tenor 5 video this afternoon. If you don't get bass 1 from Elow, it's available (I'm definitely on the amateur spectrum of folks submitting, so I'm sure someone else can do a better job).
Shawn Collins
Trombone hobbyist
Elow

Post by Elow »

bwanamfupi wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:13 am

I did an audio take on bass 1 today. I'll see if I can do the video when I redo my tenor 5 video this afternoon. If you don't get bass 1 from Elow, it's available (I'm definitely on the amateur spectrum of folks submitting, so I'm sure someone else can do a better job).
I’m starting to regret signing up for a bass part instead of tenor, ive recorded it a couple times but nothing that i’m happy with. I’ll have another couple takes tonight so hopefully i can get something that sounds half decent.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

No one will be fired from the forum for taking part of one of those bass parts up an octave.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm No one will be fired from the forum for taking part of one of those bass parts up an octave.
They appeared to be contra parts at first glance!
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm No one will be fired from the forum for taking part of one of those bass parts up an octave.
Just out of curiosity, who has the authority to fire someone from the forum?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

mahlertwo wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:55 pm
Just out of curiosity, who has the authority to fire someone from the forum?
Not me!
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Uploading now!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Hey guys (and ladies) - while I have been waiting on all the parts to come in for this tune I did little video of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. See what you think:

Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Tenor 3 - Brett - What kind of file is that? It doesn't have an extension. My video software recognizes it, but the audio software doesn't.
glenp

Post by glenp »

My tenor 2 part is uploaded now too.

Do you have all the tenor parts now? If not I can try to record another part tomorrow.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Let me take inventory tomorrow and I will post up what is still needed.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK guys (and I say guys because so far we have no ladies on this project unfortunately). I have at least one part for everything except bass 3, which to me looks like it should be a tuba part. Bruce, I could use your double on T6 for sure. I may offer up that bass part over on tubenet and see if anyone wants to do it. Bassbone721 is signed up for B3 at the moment.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK guys (and I say guys because so far we have no ladies on this project unfortunately). I have at least one part for everything except bass 3, which to me looks like it should be a tuba part Bruce, I could use your double on T6 for sure. I may offer up that bass part over on tubenet and see if anyone wants to do it. Bassbone721 is signed up for B3 at the moment.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I *might* be able to give you a workable Bass3 on sousaphone, though it’s very much my 2nd instrument and I’m out of practice. It’ll probably be Tuesday before I can do that; I’d like at least one day to work on it and see how close it is.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Bananicorn

Post by Bananicorn »

Greetings, fellow trombones! It is I, the long-awaited, mythical female trombonist!

Sorry I'm so late to the party but I would like to help out if that's still needed/wanted. I looked at the sign-up sheet and what was open and seems like alto 1/2, tenor 1/4/6, and bass 2/3 are still open for a second person right now. I'd prefer a tenor part but I could possibly hack out a bass part also. Should I just sign up for any of those, or is there something specific I should do (if anything)?

Thanks!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Doug Yeo is in this forum occasionally. Does a know him well enough to ask him if he would play?
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Bananicorn wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:53 pm Greetings, fellow trombones! It is I, the long-awaited, mythical female trombonist!

Sorry I'm so late to the party but I would like to help out if that's still needed/wanted. I looked at the sign-up sheet and what was open and seems like alto 1/2, tenor 1/4/6, and bass 2/3 are still open for a second person right now. I'd prefer a tenor part but I could possibly hack out a bass part also. Should I just sign up for any of those, or is there something specific I should do (if anything)?

Thanks!
I bet you could help out. Thanks for offering!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bananicorn wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:53 pm Greetings, fellow trombones! It is I, the long-awaited, mythical female trombonist!

Thanks!
Thanks for your offer. Just look at the parts. Tenor 6 has a bunch of pedal Bb's. Tenor 1 is in tenor clef (if that's a problem). Bass 3 and Bass 4 have a LOT of pedal notes, going to pedal F (Bass 3) and pedal Eb (Bass 4). I'm signed up as the "second" Tenor 3, but haven't sent anything in yet. If you want to play Tenor 3 I can play something else.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

I'm working on bass 3. Hopefully I can get it in today or tomorrow. Ironically, I'm not having a lot of trouble with the pedals, it's just getting the faster parts down. I had to make a makeshift finger guard because my Gb trigger kept cutting into my ring finger.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

The only tenor parts where I could use an additional double on right now are 4 and 6. The others are well covered. I have a couple of guys working on bass 3 as well, so we are pretty close. I know I said this weekend was the deadline, but that was just to scare you guys into getting your videos done. If I can get all those parts covered in the next couple of days, I should have the video by next Monday or so. My computer is about getting to the point where more tracks in the video software really start to drag it down, so T4 and 6 and B3 are the only new tracks I will add. It's amazing how multi track video editing will slow down what was a pretty fast PC. I use a program called Cyberlink Power Director, if anyone is interested.
Bananicorn

Post by Bananicorn »

Cool! I guess I'll do trombone 6. I'll get on that!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I've lost track of who is who in the video, but whoever had the dancing dog wins some sort of prize.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:34 pm I've lost track of who is who in the video, but whoever had the dancing dog wins some sort of prize.
That was me. He was a very good sport for putting up with the whole business. No animals were harmed in the production of the video.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

What is his name? We can include him in the credits.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:00 am What is his name? We can include him in the credits.
He's called Kenny
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Haha, can't wait to see it. I did have at least one take "spoiled" by some VERY loud meowing in the background.
Matt Hawke
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Still need a double on 4? I'll do that today if you need it,
Doghouse Dan
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

DDoghouse wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 am Still need a double on 4? I'll do that today if you need it,
T4 yes.
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Okay, I'm on it.
Doghouse Dan
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Hey MIke, I have the guide track, but am having a hard time finding a link to chart. Can you help me out?
Doghouse Dan
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I think tenor 3 part is corrupted on google. Maybe it’s just me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SYT ... pb-xo/edit
Steve
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

There should be a valid copy in the folder.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

T3 is well covered anyway.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Would one of you bass guys please go back and re-record Bass 2 from 9 until the rest before 25, but take it up an octave? That parts sounds not so great in it's current state. Everyone is running out of air trying to play that low. I think I will take it up the octave for the video. I don't need video, just audio of those 8 bars or so. I had a chat with Joey about pedal tones. He seems to like them, but too many is not necessarily a good thing.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:40 pm Would one of you bass guys please go back and re-record Bass 2 from 9 until the rest before 25, but take it up an octave? That parts sounds not so great in it's current state. Everyone is running out of air trying to play that low. I think I will take it up the octave for the video. I don't need video, just audio of those 8 bars or so. I had a chat with Joey about pedal tones. He seems to like them, but too many is not necessarily a good thing.
Yeah... I love pedal tones, and tend to include a lot of them in my writing, but I forgot two very important details-

A) Not everyone loves playing/hearing pedals as much as I do. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that most people don't. I previously have written mostly for ensembles where I play the bass part, so the pedals were a welcome challenge, which leads me to my next point-

B) Most of the time, when I write for an ensemble, the players (including myself) have 2-4 months to prep the music. This was obviously different.

I want to thank you all for humoring me through this process. I've learned a lot, and if we do this again in the future and I'm allowed to write for it again, I'll have all of this on my mind.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

I actually have started work on an arrangement I may submit for consideration if we do this again. Harrison, there's an Alto 1 solo that requires both your trombone and acting skills!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

mahlertwo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm I actually have started work on an arrangement I may submit for consideration if we do this again. Harrison, there's an Alto 1 solo that requires both your trombone and acting skills!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Lady and gentlemen,

I have been working on this for a while and I have to say that with each additional track, the mix seems to be getting worse rather than better. This is not because anyone is a bad player - it is simply that the nature of this arrangement, with all the random triplets and difficult low range stuff, makes it very difficult to pull off in a virtual environment where no one can hear any other player. Parts of it sound like something between a train wreck and a dumpster fire. Now I can fix a bit of that with some careful editing, but it is never going to sound like the midi file. This is what we have so far:

Start that around the 1 minute mark.

I am going to propose 2 options.

1 - I do the best I can to make it sound better and produce a video which may not be the best quality, at least sound-wise. The dance moves will still look good.

2 - We punt on this tune and try with an easier arrangement. Here is a nice simple 6 part medley of COB and We Wish You that we could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2SQnX ... AwfXNMTb8s

Cherry Classics has that arrangement and I could purchase it and distribute the parts and give everyone another week or 2 to do another video.

I will go with the will of the majority here. Post up a reply as soon as you can with your preference.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I agree - that's definitely very messy and without you putting in painstaking hours lining up each note across the takes, I don't think it's something I'd personally share. Not to sound vain, but it isn't great. Not sure what the best move forward would be, but I think that what's there isn't good enough for consumption. And as you've said, that's no slight on the abilities of anyone's playing (which all, individually, sounds marvelous) or on the quality of the arrangement - more just the many difficulties inherent in a project like this.
Matt Hawke
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

I'm abstaining. My fault we're here.
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

One fix for the interlocking triplets that came to mind would be to overlap them - give each triplet one more note on the beat. It's REALLY hard to time them out when you don't have an arrival point to aim for.
Doghouse Dan
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

DDoghouse wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:06 am One fix for the interlocking triplets that came to mind would be to overlap them - give each triplet one more note on the beat. It's REALLY hard to time them out when you don't have an arrival point to aim for.
100% agree with this. "Dovetailing" really helps with accuracy and smoothness, and the overlap come out of the dynamic as much as you'd fear.
Matt Hawke

Return to “Performance”